Paige's Multiple Variant Armour Builds [PIC HEAVY]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, sod you all, it's my thread, I'll double-post if I want :p

Got the main portion of one of the boots done - I'll update again once I have the ankle cover, sole detail and heel hinge done.

We're planning to have the boot itself cast in a medium-firmness rubber, and the armour-coloured metal parts fixed on from a more traditional hard plastic/fibreglass method. This should ensure that the boot will flex as much as is needed and be comfortable, yet be durable while we're out and about on show. The insole itself is a cheap slip-on gym shoe from Wyndsors (a UK-based shoe chain) that we're going to fix into the finished boot more or less permanently, along with a cover to make sure the boot looks authentic.

The file was provided by the fantastic Dawn Under Heaven team. Unfortunately, the file was a donation bonus and, despite making a few modifications to the file for my own use, I can't distribute it (as much as I'd like to share).

boot002.jpg

boot004.jpg

boot005.jpg

boot006.jpg

boot07.jpg

Again, keep the critique coming in. I'd love to answer any questions and if you have any suggestions I'll certainly take them on board.

Well, sod you all, it's my thread, I'll double-post if I want :p

Got the main portion of one of the boots done - I'll update again once I have the ankle cover, sole detail and heel hinge done.

We're planning to have the boot itself cast in a medium-firmness rubber, and the armour-coloured metal parts fixed on from a more traditional hard plastic/fibreglass method. This should ensure that the boot will flex as much as is needed and be comfortable, yet be durable while we're out and about on show. The insole itself is a cheap slip-on gym shoe from Wyndsors (a UK-based shoe chain) that we're going to fix into the finished boot more or less permanently, along with a cover to make sure the boot looks authentic.

The file was provided by the fantastic Dawn Under Heaven team. Unfortunately, the file was a donation bonus and, despite making a few modifications to the file for my own use, I can't distribute it (as much as I'd like to share).

Again, keep the critique coming in. I'd love to answer any questions and if you have any suggestions I'll certainly take them on board.

Nice shoes

Thanks, guys - though, Dragon, if you do me a favour, please don't quote my images. It clutters the thread up and takes up space.

Just finished one of the plates. Tomorrow, the other.

If you want to draw attention to a single image because of a question or whatever, in that case it makes perfect sense to quote the image in question. Otherwise, it's generally bad form to quote a long string of images, and then post just a couple words yourself.

The boots look awesome! One quick question, it looks like there was supposed to be some sort of additional detail on the very front that you didn't pep out, how come?

The boots look awesome! One quick question, it looks like there was supposed to be some sort of additional detail on the very front that you didn't pep out, how come?

This is going to sound daft, given the level of detail I've worked on in other pieces, but that indent was far too intricate to Pep out. I've decided to leave it for now, and dremmel it in later on. I've found it far, far easier to save myself the headache of intricate pieces and use a dremmel where needed rather than risk ruining an entire piece on sloppy assembly.

Meanwhile, I've spent most of today working on the sole detail. This was made by layering up thick card to the required depth, and gluing it all together. The entire piece spent a few hours under compression until the glue set (and it took a lot of glue, believe me), but I think the results are well worth it.

boot008.jpg

boot009.jpg

boot010.jpg

boot011.jpg

Crits/comments welcome!

You're doing an absolutely fantastic job with all of this.

I was initially worried about the boot, but then I read back through and found out that you're planning on casting it in a flexible material and got some relief (I actually typed up a huge paragraph here expressing my concern about how hard the boot would be and decided to look back through the thread to see if you had actually addressed that, which you did). The boot looks phenomenal, I just had to say. I have access to this same file, it's a beauty, but with all the detail and tabs, I imagine pepping it is a little difficult in places.

For the rest of the work you've shown here, outstanding! Very clean pepping, very smooth looking all around. Keep up the great work!

This is going to sound daft, given the level of detail I've worked on in other pieces, but that indent was far too intricate to Pep out. I've decided to leave it for now, and dremmel it in later on. I've found it far, far easier to save myself the headache of intricate pieces and use a dremmel where needed rather than risk ruining an entire piece on sloppy assembly.

Meanwhile, I've spent most of today working on the sole detail. This was made by layering up thick card to the required depth, and gluing it all together. The entire piece spent a few hours under compression until the glue set (and it took a lot of glue, believe me), but I think the results are well worth it.

Crits/comments welcome!

Ooh, awesome, you did the Sole detail Excellent

Damn Bud! Very nice job. I'm looking forward to seeing how the flexible version turns out. I might just have to try it out myself!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'll do what I can to make things clear as I go.

Dragon, I sent you a PM regarding my previous request to stop quoting images and only adding a single sentence. I mean to be nice, but I don't want people wasting space in my threads like this.

I saw that, hun, but I'm still going to have to ask you to edit your posts to remove those images from them to save me some space.

I'll have more progress tomorrow - finishing the rear hinge on the boot, and then I'll be moving onto my own. After that, shins. I'm a lean, mean, armour-making machine.

If in doubt, try to look at the width of the helmet over the height. The width of the Operator helmet comes in at 23cm when scaled at 31cm height - use a baseball cap or some other hat with a firm brim to get a rough idea of how wide your head is, and then add a centimeter or so. to accommodate the helmet.

With that in mind, I put together a little gift for you. It's unfolded in A4 format since I did this mainly for my own personal use, but I doubt you'd have very many problems with converting it for letter use. Just be sure to give myself and JTM1997 credit when you use it.

Mk V Operator helmet by JTM117 - refinement/unfold by PaigeMaster.

is there a way you can make that into a PDF? I have a Mac and can't use pepakura

Probably not; there's the ability to export the file as a .bmp image, but then you'd have scaling issues.

Try downloading a Windows emulator for Mac - Wine is a good one, I hear. You should be able to run Pepakura with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back