Painting Plastic Gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTiKi

Jr Member
I was wondering what would be the best way to paint the buzz bee plasma blaster? I've spray painted PVC and it tends to hold the paint quite well but that was a different type of plastic. Anyone know how rattle can paint sticks to these toy guns???

MrTiKi said:
I was wondering what would be the best way to paint the buzz bee plasma blaster? I've spray painted PVC and it tends to hold the paint quite well but that was a different type of plastic. Anyone know how rattle can paint sticks to these toy guns???

I'm not sure; if it's smooth plastic, it probably won't work.

My advice: get some very fine sandpaper and just rough up slightly the areas you want to paint. Oh, and use a primer as well for best results :)

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have read, there is paint designed to adhere to plastic. check the krylon website, might find something there to help you out.

As long as you use at least 2 coats of primer before you paint you should be fine. Also once everything is dry give it a coat of clear to give it that metal/plastic shine.

This is exactly what I did for mine and I have no problems with paint coming off.

Thanx for the replies

Imperial said:
As long as you use at least 2 coats of primer before you paint you should be fine. Also once everything is dry give it a coat of clear to give it that metal/plastic shine.

This is exactly what I did for mine and I have no problems with paint coming off.

What brand of primer did you use??

Lord Devious said:
Krylon has a special line of plastic paints.
Yeh I've tried the Krylon Fusion before but didn't like it cause it tends to crack or at least that was my experience.

I would just use automotive spray primer, give it a light sanding between coats then after the finished paintwork has cured for a day or two hit it with a spray clearcoat. It also wouldn't hurt to scuff sand the whole gun a little before you prime it.

I would say go buy some 1k grit sandpaper & go over everything your going to paint. Heres mine
S6300050.jpg

Speaking from experience with Nerf, Lanard, and Buzz Bee blasters, I'd say your best bet is to sand the thing down a bit so it's nice and rough, then wash it with some dish soap and hit it with some Krylon Fusion spray. If you want a multi-color paintjob, don't forget to mask it before you paint.

I've had no problem with the spray paint sticking to my gun, I used black krylon indoor/outdoor primer as a base and just built from there. I did do a little sanding to get ride of the toy logo on the front but besides that it's just painted. Here's how mine turned out.

HPIM0898.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back