Pelican Not Pelicant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForgedReclaimer

alright, im looking into (sorry) ways to harden without resin, i know, Major noob question but the search button must hate me...

why did i ask? i model them i don't build them lol j/k. all the buzz with people building halo vehicles got me thinking on something i will do instead of my armor, something i know i have a better chance at. i wont say what one or how and what for but i don't want to use resin or fiber glass for it (Not that big but big enough) i was thinking of using a spray glue that would soak in, i don't need a whole hell of a lot of strength just enough to make it work. i do have the alternative to bondo and its basically the same thing but pre-mixed and for models (clue). so, any thoughts? paper-mache and expanding foam are out of the question.

i know it must have been posted before and i am sorry that search had yield little results.

The search bar on the forums is your friend!!! Just refine your search a bit and try different words. Sometimes it can be the difference between a word or two.

I know aqua resin is less toxic than normal bondo or resin so its a possible route.

Another option would be using the hot glue method, where you melt down hot glue sticks and paint the glue onto your armor or whatever you want to strengthen.

You can make it out of clay, then mold/cast it.

You can make it out of Wood, then mold/cast it.

You can make a basic form out of foam, then cover that in clay and mold/cast it.

The last option that I can think of is getting a few cans of Duplicolor Bed Liner Spray and using it to reinforce whatever it is that your working on. I have played around with it in the past and it will work on card stock, but you need to do a light-medium coat on the paper. Enough to cover it but not so much that it will make the paper soggy. After the first 1 or 2 light to medium coats you can go heavier with it.

There are TONS of options. Its all a matter of how much research your willing to do, how much time your willing to put in and how inventive you can become with the materials that are out there.

im looking for very cheap, cheap, cheap ways. these two sound the best "spray can Lacquer", "hot glue method", "Duplicolor Bed Liner Spray" thanks for the help.

now i just need to be able to pep without a major f-up so i could use a method lol.

i think i might try this though, and maybe the hot glue with it.

Testors1260DullcoatSpray.jpg

If you're worried about the cold, there's a "cure box" tutorial floating around. (Let me know if you can't find it.) The hot glue method works quite well when used as a temporary(ish) strengthener. There are a couple spray epoxies floating around (I believe borge009 <-- I think that's his name used some.) BTW, thanks for making those awesome models.

(Before the pelican, the pelimusttry)

Cheers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back