Rachciav's Boot And Odst Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
LastSpartan said:
This may sound weird, but take pictures from the front like perfectly from front and one from the side and compare it with the ingame by using semi-transparant layers in photoshop.

yea i know what you mean, that sounds like a good idea ill try it, but mine isnt exactly spot on in game accurate, because i had to make it able to fit a human. and it was specifically modeled to my leg, and im not as muscular as the chief, so the sides dont bulge as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
link4044 said:
well shink down the in-game pic to your size to compare

well its not so much that it isnt the same size overall, or i would do that, but it isnt the same size in different parts, so if i did shrink it, then say the height would match, but where the knee part was wouldnt be the same. im probably not explaining it very well, but i cant post a pic..im not on my home computer.

ok so my molding supplies arrived like ten minuets ago, i just took pics of the updated shin, i want to know if i should change anything before i mold it which will probably be tomorrow depending on what needs to be fixed. on and i want to know if theres anyway to smooth it out, because theres all these tiny bumps on it.

DSC03757.jpg

side 1

DSC03755.jpg

back

DSC03753.jpg

side 2

DSC03752.jpg

front

DSC03750.jpg

supplies

and please any comments even if theyre negative, as long as you back up your opinion id like to know so i can make this as good as possible.

also id be cool if a mod could move this to the molded section, cause i figure it belongs in there since i got the molding supplies.

edit: does anyone know if the supplies being outside in the cold will ruin them, because its kinda winter where i am, and they dont heat the parts of the delivery trucks where packages are

i molded my handplate today, and learned a lot. most importantly that i should mix in small quantities. i ended up making double the amount i needed, so i just molded my pep handplate instead of wasting it. heres some pics with the first coat.

DSC03758.jpg

clay handplate

DSC03759.jpg

pep handplate

oh will the silicone ruin the pep since its resin?

Okay well with Mold Max40, you should make make a mold box around your object and simply pour.

To know your quantities, fill the mold box with rice, divide the volume of rice needed by 2 and that's the ammount of Part A and Part B you need.

:D its ok! im debating adding a second coat... i dont want to waste more silicone and measuring is a pain in the a** because part A is so thick and it isnt in a pourable bottle its in a tub, i have to scoop it out slowly and pour it into another cup while trying not to get silicone all over the scale (which already happened)

Wow! I'm seriously impressed with you sculpting skills rachciav! To smooth out the clay rubbing alcohol works well, or anything similar. Just rub it onto the clay with a soft piece of fabric.

p0rtalman said:
Wow! I'm seriously impressed with you sculpting skills rachciav! To smooth out the clay rubbing alcohol works well, or anything similar. Just rub it onto the clay with a soft piece of fabric.

:D thanks! ill have to try that rubbing alcohol technique.
well i demolded the pep handplate this morning. and it went well, however i was wondering if i couls add a second coat of silicone onto the clay handplate after the silicone has fully cured...or will it not bind together?

rachciav said:
:D its ok! im debating adding a second coat... i dont want to waste more silicone and measuring is a pain in the a** because part A is so thick and it isnt in a pourable bottle its in a tub, i have to scoop it out slowly and pour it into another cup while trying not to get silicone all over the scale (which already happened)

Handy tip,

You need the measure the weight of one 1cm/ 1 inch of part A. This way you know how much cm/inches you need for X amount of part B. For the pouring of the silicone....well that just practice...and practice....and, well you get.

Dry Silicon sticks to nothing.

Fixed

Alri-i-i-i-ght... you're now getting to the molding/casting stage with some of this. Awesome! :D

As others have suggested, if you plan on molding/casting the calf armour anytime soon, you should soften some of the details using the rubbing alcohol technique first (ie. the "horseshoe" on the back, as Tater pointed out).

What else were you thinking of sculpting/molding/casting, again? o_O

LastSpartan said:
Silicon sticks to nothing except itself. Should work ;)
well thats a relief i was worried id have a super flimsy mold

falcon NL said:
Handy tip,

You need the measure the weight of one 1cm/ 1 inch of part A. This way you know how much cm/inches you need for X amount of part B. For the pouring of the silicone....well that just practice...and practice....and, well you get.
Fixed

i had considered that, but since it was my first time i figured id go with an easy number. 100 grams to 10 grams. as for next time ill definitely consider this.

SPARTAN II said:
Alri-i-i-i-ght... you're now getting to the molding/casting stage with some of this. Awesome! :D

As others have suggested, if you plan on molding/casting the calf armour anytime soon, you should soften some of the details using the rubbing alcohol technique first (ie. the "horseshoe" on the back, as Tater pointed out).

What else were you thinking of sculpting/molding/casting, again? o_O

thanks!
i had scraped a bit of the horeshoe away so it didnt stick out as much, but softening it with the rubbing alcohol is a good idea too. i never thought of that.
i was planning on doing a shoe if i had left over silicone and plastic, because mine arent a perfect fit.

anyway onto finishing the final touches on the shin.

alright so i started molding the shin, and i got onto the second coat, and it fell over onto the handplate :eek: the back detail looks a little flattened, and i wondered is there anything i can do to fix this. do i have to restart the the molding or is ther something i can do once its cured? i need help asap! its curing as i type this.

Well, you are using expensive molding material, and you just did your first coat.

I would wait until you first coat is completely dry, peel it of the clay, remodel the clay and start over. Its a waist of material, but if you finish you mold and there is a default in our mold, it is a bigger waist.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back