Reach: An Lt Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sniperbaas - I would love to get a full suit done by the release, but I am waiting on the rest to get modeled. I have printed off the chest piece and will get started on it once I am done with the helm. Still waiting to see the other stuff modeled. Can't complain since I can't really do the models myself, so I will just have to be patient. At 7christian, the print layer on the glove mold is curing as I write this :)

Well, I know its a double post, but this little update just has me grinning from ear to ear. Its my first mold ever, but thanks to so many great molding threads I feel like it went smoothly. Thanks so much to Adam, Ithica and Thorsoli for all the knowledge they share. I am glad I went with the DS10 Fast. It may have been a bit fast setting for the print layer, but it was fantastic for the other layers. I did go through a lot more brushes though because the silicon would cure into the brush. Thank goodness for $1 brushes from home depot. There wasn't much overall loss/waste. I think maybe only a cup or so overall. I may have gone a little overboard on the registration keys, but I figured better safe than sorry. I can always cut them off and redo the mother mold if it turns out to be too much. If the unusually warm weather keeps up I will do the mother mold on friday. It is a debate between a two and 3 part mother mold. So for now, here you go. Enjoy!

IMG_0509.jpg

So the goal is to have a pull done saturday. Here's hoping the weather holds up!

Stop before proceeding any farther before making the shell. Trust me...

I am in the process of describing the problem you are going to encounter if you continue forward at this point. If you haven't moved on to making the shell yet that is.

Edit: I have a write up and a graphic describing something you will very much want to know before you put a shell onto that helmet mold as you have it right now. I can post it here or mail it to you... please advise me what you would like me to do. I'd hate to see this helmet get locked into a mold and you have to break something to get it out.

If you'll allow me, I can save you a lot of frustration.

~Walter

Last edited by a moderator:
Spase said:
Stop before proceeding any farther before making the shell. Trust me...

I am in the process of describing the problem you are going to encounter if you continue forward at this point. If you haven't moved on to making the shell yet that is.

Edit: I have a write up and a graphic describing something you will very much want to know before you put a shell onto that helmet mold as you have it right now. I can post it here or mail it to you... please advise me what you would like me to do. I'd hate to see this helmet get locked into a mold and you have to break something to get it out.

If you'll allow me, I can save you a lot of frustration.

~Walter

Yea! Trust me, it almost happened to me. Be careful.

Brandon McClain said:
Well, I know its a double post, but this little update just has me grinning from ear to ear. Its my first mold ever, but thanks to so many great molding threads I feel like it went smoothly. Thanks so much to Adam, Ithica and Thorsoli for all the knowledge they share. I am glad I went with the DS10 Fast. It may have been a bit fast setting for the print layer, but it was fantastic for the other layers. I did go through a lot more brushes though because the silicon would cure into the brush. Thank goodness for $1 brushes from home depot. There wasn't much overall loss/waste. I think maybe only a cup or so overall. I may have gone a little overboard on the registration keys, but I figured better safe than sorry. I can always cut them off and redo the mother mold if it turns out to be too much. If the unusually warm weather keeps up I will do the mother mold on friday. It is a debate between a two and 3 part mother mold. So for now, here you go. Enjoy!

IMG_0509.jpg

So the goal is to have a pull done saturday. Here's hoping the weather holds up!

sweet im pepping the reach chest piece now hope to be done next sunday

-cheers

Ronster said:
Uh oh.... What happened Spase?

He's got some mighty big undercuts in that mold thar. Most obviously in the visor area. If he puts a mother mold on it, the mother mold may get stuck, and he'll need to crack it off to get it apart. That's a general gist of it, Spase said he's writing up a nice explanation, so I'll let him explain more. He has more experience with molding than I do.

There are a lot of undercuts, hence the plan for a multi-piece mother mold. Not sure yet if thats what spase had in mind. Today was nuts as far as schedule, so Will give it a shot tomorrow and see how she turns out. Worst scenario, I have to break off the peices I try. Doesn't scare me too much. We'll see how it goes.

Brandon McClain said:
There are a lot of undercuts, hence the plan for a multi-piece mother mold. Not sure yet if thats what spase had in mind. Today was nuts as far as schedule, so Will give it a shot tomorrow and see how she turns out. Worst scenario, I have to break off the peices I try. Doesn't scare me too much. We'll see how it goes.

Well it is your keys. You have to know how many sections (or pieces) of mothermold you will have before you place your keys. Also you want your keys to pull off in one direction. Right now you have vertical and horizontal direction which means you WILL lock in your MotherMold. If you do a two piece clam shell Mohawk style you want to pull straight out from the sides. The vertical keys you have on top will stop that and lock in the MM.

Hope this is helping you out.

Wow, really loving this helmet! You just inspired me to make one of my own...

Hope everything comes out alright with your molds.

Great job! :)

This is amazing work! :D

It's amazingly smooth, has an AWESOME paint job and the amount of detail included is immense!

Just a few quick question with regards to 'foamies';

1) When do you apply them? Is it after you've put the resin on, after a layer of bondo, etc.?

2) Do you know the thickness of the 'foamies' you use?

3) Do you bondo up to their thickness or bondo over them then cut them out?

Thanks!

Once again, really amazing work; have been watching it since the first post ;)

Hope your casting goes well

Leyton

(Yay! 200th Post! :D )

@ Leyton - when it comes to the foamies, i apply them after a layer of bondo. I make sure the area the they are covering is smooth, because they are generally impossible to sand once done without losing the detail you are trying to create. I bondo a little bit past the foamies and then sand down to them. I use double sided tape, its about 1/8th inch thick, give or take. If it needs to be deeper, like on the crown areas of the reach helm, I double them up. I generally wait until the very end to remove the foamies so the edges don't get soft as I am sanding. Once they are removed, I use an exacto knife to clean up and sharpen the edges that last little bit. Hope that helps

Brandon McClain said:
@ Leyton -

When it comes to the foamies, I apply them after a layer of bondo. I make sure the area the they are covering is smooth, because they are generally impossible to sand once done without losing the detail you are trying to create.

I bondo a little bit past the foamies and then sand down to them.

I use double sided tape, its about 1/8th inch thick, give or take. If it needs to be deeper, like on the crown areas of the reach helm, I double them up.

I generally wait until the very end to remove the foamies so the edges don't get soft as I am sanding. Once they are removed, I use an exacto knife to clean up and sharpen the edges that last little bit.

Hope that helps

Perfect answer :D

Thanks for your help; I'll try the foamies technique on my next piece of armour ;)

Leyton

Hey Brandon,

First off, great work.

Anyways, just wanted to show you this new Reach screenshot that has a shot of the helmet without the attachment. Might help out with detailing and such. :)

Good luck with the molding!

149459screenshot04ls.jpg

Oh gosh, with the site going down the other day I forgot to get the pic and write up posted. I will get it to you this afternoon. JediStumpy is essentially correct though.

Great work Brandon! Love the tip about the foam tape. You are very modest, that pepping looked tough in some areas. I'm sure you will get the mold lock issue fixed quick and be back to speed. Keep up the good work, you're an inspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back