Release Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Altair651 said:
I cant..... im on a tight budget, but do you think that the petroleam jelly would work? :)

Then why on earth are you buying any expensive molding materials? A container of vaseline will not cost much less than a proper release agent.

How about this, don't listen to anybody here, we're all much less intelligent than you, why not just ruin your mold, take a video of yourself crying, and upload it to YouTube? It'd be an excellent example for smart-behinds such as yourself who don't show respect to people who go out of their way to help.

LastSpartan just want far above and beyond the call of duty and even spent 5 bucks just to get definitive answers to your questions, and you don't even acknowledge that he did answer your questions at his own expense.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Then why on earth are you buying any expensive molding materials? A container of vaseline will not cost much less than a proper release agent.

How about this, don't listen to anybody here, we're all much less intelligent than you, why not just ruin your mold, take a video of yourself crying, and upload it to YouTube? It'd be an excellent example for smart-behinds such as yourself who don't show respect to people who go out of their way to help.

LastSpartan just want far above and beyond the call of duty and even spent 5 bucks just to get definitive answers to your questions, and you don't even acknowledge that he did answer your questions at his own expense.

*Clapping Hands* Bravo!!! Well said, could not have sait it better my self!

ImaGonnaGetYou said:

*kneels down*

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
I asked the question by calling Smooth-on.

Q- Can I use vaseline as a reliece agent?

A-No.

Simple as that! Now cut Last Spartan some slack. He tried to help you out, but you were being VERY difficult about it, and continued to do nothing but get others to do your work. Its so simple.

Steps to calling Smooth-on:

-Step 1-stand up and go to your nearest telephone.

-Step 2-Pick up the phone

-Step 3-Hold the reciever to your ear, and the mouthpiece near your mouth.

-Step 4-Now- by using your index finger of choice, type in the following numbers

(610) 252-5800

-Step 6-Let the phone ring until you get an answer.

-Step 7-When you get an answer, simple say "Hello, I have a question regarding one of your Smooth-on products..."

-Step 8-Wait for the person to stop talking as you listen for an answer.

-Step 9-Ask any remaining questions you may have.

-Step 10-Say thank-you for your time, then Hang up.

See, simple!!!

To Last Spartan-Noobs these days, indeed...

GO HOME!

Altair651 said:

Wow. Just, wow.

Alright, let me show you the logical decision in this situation.

HERE is the molding material you plan to use, a urethane molding rubber. Assuming you're molding a helmet (for time's sake), we'll say you buy a gallon of it, which is $105.

Total = $105

HERE is a 13 ounce container of Vaseline, 100% petroleum jelly, about $5, give or take a few cents.

Total = $110 for molding material plus improvised release agent

HERE is the proper Smooth-On release agent for everything except urethane foams, which you presumably won't be using. It's about $11 per aerosol spray can, but you only need one.

Total = $116 for molding material plus proper release agent.

Now for the kicker - You can't factor in extra shipping charges because it would be such a small amount when shipped with the molding material that it wouldn't matter at all. So you're essentially saving yourself a whopping, life-saving six dollars (or, from how lazy you are, a few double cheeseburgers from Mickey D's). Does that help you any?

tl;dr version: It's $6 extra to have it shipped with the molding material, so you'll be all set to go right out of the box. Surely if you can spend $100 on molding an armor piece, you can spare a few extra bucks to keep that investment safe, correct?

bodyslam2.jpg

Mold release was invented because it works. If people could just use other things, why would anyone buy expensive release agents?

Well everyone, I started making the mold. I used cooking spray as my release agent. Im sorry to anyone a might have offended over this topic, especially you LAST SPARTAN, I just got to cought up in this, and I really wanted to get this thing done. I got over exited, which lead to stress, then anger over a pointless argument. I take full responsibility for my actions, and I just wanted to say that I am sorry. :)

Fuzzy the Bear said:
And nothing of great value was lost.........

Let's just say it was a live and learn experience, and leave it at that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back