SirPalesAlot’s MK VI WIP: You’re still not done yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW that's a lot of pictures! lol. I always think the more the merrier when it comes to builds :] Looking really good!

Thank you. Yeah, I was kind of worried when I started writing this up that I had a bit too much to go though. I have more pictures than I posted here, but I thought it would be best to keep the numbers down as much as I could.

WOW!

This build is beautiful. I am amazed by your attention to detail!

You really seem to have gone through hell and back to make this build. I am impressed by your dedication to this project. I am certain this will be an amazing armor set when you are finally through all this.

Thank you. Yes, I have been through quite a bit with this build. It's been tough to stay motivated, but somehow I have managed. I did miss a lot of detail in a few of the pieces. There are areas on the thigh and forearm that I looked over accidentally. I'm trying not to get too hung up on that for now.

Wow with so much time and effort put into this build you certainly deserve props for continuing it. One question though, please tell me your going to release the files for this. Ive been thinking of doing a Halo 3 suit and have the files on the database but yours looks easier to pep and even adds detail.

Yeah, a lot of the time was spent making mistakes lol. It isn't so bad, because I have learned quite a bit along the way. I had been wondering if I should release the files. I'm not the original creator of the files I modified, and I'm not sure what steps I need to take to share them with everyone else. Some of them might be easier to build, but the helmet isn't one of those lol.

I'm not the original creator of the files I modified, and I'm not sure what steps I need to take to share them with everyone else.

I think (I'm not sure so if i'm wrong anyone correct me). You need to get a hlod of the original creator and ask him or her if its ok. Iv'e heard others post modified versions without permission giving heavy credit to the creator but placing say a text box directly on the unfold where it will be seen until hidden by the builder.

However It looked like you took a bunch of edges, polygons, and unfold pieces away. It may be harder with all the details but that's what makes them HD. There meant to be hard to do.

I think (I'm not sure so if i'm wrong anyone correct me). You need to get a hold of the original creator and ask him or her if its ok. I've heard others post modified versions without permission giving heavy credit to the creator but placing say a text box directly on the unfold where it will be seen until hidden by the builder.

However It looked like you took a bunch of edges, polygons, and unfold pieces away. It may be harder with all the details but that's what makes them HD. There meant to be hard to do.

Yeah I thought it would be best to do that first. I tried messaging a few of the creators earlier this year, but I never heard back anything. That was shortly before the forums ran into trouble and had to be reset. I'm sure those messages ended up lost in the shuffle somewhere. After I get the new shoulders and COD built I will probably send out some messages to see if it's alright. Originally I started out modifying them just to change up some of the polygons, and things kind of took off from there.

Most of the unfolds are done while incorporating two things. The first thing was to reduce the amount of parts in an unfold. The less parts there are the less you have to worry about alignment problems down the road. The second thing I try do is make sure the part can be built in sections. For example, the chest can be built in about eight individual sections at the beginning. Then you just have to combine the sections however you see fit. The only reason I say the helmet was a pain is because of the brim. The small groove I added into it was really irritating. Most of my irritation may have come from the fact that I was building the part inside out, but I imagine it would be just as difficult to build it the normal way.

Yeah I thought it would be best to do that first. I tried messaging a few of the creators earlier this year, but I never heard back anything. That was shortly before the forums ran into trouble and had to be reset. I'm sure those messages ended up lost in the shuffle somewhere. After I get the new shoulders and COD built I will probably send out some messages to see if it's alright. Originally I started out modifying them just to change up some of the polygons, and things kind of took off from there.

Most of the unfolds are done while incorporating two things. The first thing was to reduce the amount of parts in an unfold. The less parts there are the less you have to worry about alignment problems down the road. The second thing I try do is make sure the part can be built in sections. For example, the chest can be built in about eight individual sections at the beginning. Then you just have to combine the sections however you see fit. The only reason I say the helmet was a pain is because of the brim. The small groove I added into it was really irritating. Most of my irritation may have come from the fact that I was building the part inside out, but I imagine it would be just as difficult to build it the normal way.

Yeah lots of accounts and pm's got deleted in the reset but if you can always pm one of the mod's floating around, im sure they would answer your questions about releasing them.

I already love the fact that you broke the model so it can be built in sections. I built L3X BLU3R1V3R's Reach sniper rifle and found that the diferent sections were so much easyer to work with instead of a huge giant rifle thats one piece and taller that me. I gotta say though you took a lot of time and thought into modifying everything. The mod you did to the brim was one of the first differences I noticed, along with the detail you added on the rear shoulders of the torso, which I didnt know about until I saw CEREAL'S build. Its pretty impressive to me.

Yeah lots of accounts and pm's got deleted in the reset but if you can always pm one of the mod's floating around, im sure they would answer your questions about releasing them.

I already love the fact that you broke the model so it can be built in sections. I built L3X BLU3R1V3R's Reach sniper rifle and found that the diferent sections were so much easyer to work with instead of a huge giant rifle thats one piece and taller that me. I gotta say though you took a lot of time and thought into modifying everything. The mod you did to the brim was one of the first differences I noticed, along with the detail you added on the rear shoulders of the torso, which I didnt know about until I saw CEREAL'S build. Its pretty impressive to me.

Building parts in sections is so much easier. When you build enclosed symmetric parts it's easier to build in quadrants then assemble them as halves. Doing things that way seems to reduce the chances of shifting something too much one way or another...well, at least for me. I didn't think about changing any details on any of the parts until I saw CEREAL's build. His build was the reason I started even considering it. That is why I decided to add in the things he did to his.

I will probably message a mod tomorrow (if one doesn't pop up here first) and ask about what steps I need to take to release the files. The forums have been acting strange all afternoon so I figure it would be best to wait to ask.

Hey, it's about time you got your build thread up! :p I like it! Sub +1, and now click Post quick before the server trips up again...

Wow! Awesome updates, my man. (Also love to see it when people use the shin file I modded, ha.) I wish I had the time/patience/effort to make all those changes you did, because they look amazing.

And yes, on the note of releasing modded files... At the end of the day, no one (but Bungie) can claim "ownership." It's really more just a matter of respect. Kind of an unwritten rule to notify the original creator. Trouble is, most of these files were released years ago, and not many of the original creators are even around anymore.

In any case, I hope these files can be released. I'd love to use them. It looks like the redesigns came from someone who actually understands a lot of the limitations of pep. Fingers crossed!

Just some helpful criticism on your layout of your unfolds that just struck me. Perhaps you should organize them so that one section of the pep should take up one horizontal line of the paper and the next section takes the second row and so on and so forth. Its just an option and if you do release the files I certainly wont complain its just that not everyone will know where the sections of the build are. Unless you've already thought of that too, it wouldn't surprise me.

Hey, it's about time you got your build thread up!
C:\Users\MATTMO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif
I like it! Sub +1, and now click Post quick before the server trips up again...

Yeah, it took a bit more time to get it ready, but I finally got around to it. The server issues have been quite a pain. I type most of my posts in Word before I come here so anything that is long doesn't get lost. When I reply to the thread like this I usually copy what I have typed before I try to post it. As a matter of fact the server went too busy as soon as I tried to post this lol.

Wow! Awesome updates, my man. (Also love to see it when people use the shin file I modded, ha.) I wish I had the time/patience/effort to make all those changes you did, because they look amazing.

And yes, on the note of releasing modded files... At the end of the day, no one (but Bungie) can claim "ownership." It's really more just a matter of respect. Kind of an unwritten rule to notify the original creator. Trouble is, most of these files were released years ago, and not many of the original creators are even around anymore.

In any case, I hope these files can be released. I'd love to use them. It looks like the redesigns came from someone who actually understands a lot of the limitations of pep. Fingers crossed!

Thank you for the kind words, and I'm thankful for the shin file you modified! I actually thought about modifying it a bit, but when it came down to it there wasn't anything I could really do. The only thing I could have asked for from it would be more polygons along the curved surfaces. That would have made it easier to sand down the sharp edges to make a smooth curve. If I knew how to do it better I probably would have tried it out. Whether it would have been worth all the trouble is a different story lol.

I understand that. I wouldn't want to step on any toes by releasing someone’s work that I modified. The last thing I want to do is upset any of the people out there who willingly model stuff like this and release it for others to use. I have zero skill modeling things from scratch, but if I have a dimensioned drawing that's a different story. Yeah, I don't think many of the original creators are active on the 405th, and I'm not a member of any other prop making forums so it would be hard to find those people. I really would like to release the files for everyone to use as long as there are people who would benefit from it.

Pepakura is limiting to a certain degree, but I think it all stems from the base model. When you build the base model before it makes it to Pepakura designer you kind of have to take into account how you want it to be built, and what materials you want to use when building it. There are so many things I wanted to try out when modeling, but due to my inexperience I haven't been able to do it.

Fantastic build and perseverance. Keep it up.

Thank you! I will certainly do my best. I want to have this suit done before DragonCon rolls around next year so I am keeping that in mind this time so I don't lose my drive.

Just some helpful criticism on your layout of your unfolds that just struck me. Perhaps you should organize them so that one section of the pep should take up one horizontal line of the paper and the next section takes the second row and so on and so forth. Its just an option and if you do release the files I certainly wont complain its just that not everyone will know where the sections of the build are. Unless you've already thought of that too, it wouldn't surprise me.

I thought about organizing the sections together when I was arranging the parts originally, but I decided not to because of how I build things. I usually cut out all of the parts at one time before moving to the next step, so having them grouped together wouldn't have done me any good. I just arranged the layout to reduce the page number. I could still rearrange them, but the layout would probably use up more paper that way. That isn't such a big deal though.

Here is a picture to give you an idea of how I tried to break things up. This was how I setup my sections before I did the full assembly. There is a little more to it than this, but the picture should give you a good idea.

Torso_Build_Sections_zps536ae294.jpg

Attachments

• Torso_Build_Sections_zps536ae294.jpg
    Torso_Build_Sections_zps536ae294.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 150
Whether it would have been worth all the trouble is a different story lol.

"Worth all the trouble" is why I haven't modified more files. If it were as easy as making the modifications, that'd be one thing. But then you have to unfold the whole thing again... Most of the files are close enough that I don't worry about it much. Those things can be fixed post-pep. But I do admire you taking the extra steps.

I understand that. I wouldn't want to step on any toes by releasing someone’s work that I modified. The last thing I want to do is upset any of the people out there who willingly model stuff like this and release it for others to use. I have zero skill modeling things from scratch, but if I have a dimensioned drawing that's a different story. Yeah, I don't think many of the original creators are active on the 405th, and I'm not a member of any other prop making forums so it would be hard to find those people. I really would like to release the files for everyone to use as long as there are people who would benefit from it.

In my opinion, I think those original creators have probably moved on from these files, and would be fine with someone making minor changes/upgrades. Even happy to see that they were still of use. (I know that's how I feel.)

Pepakura is limiting to a certain degree, but I think it all stems from the base model. When you build the base model before it makes it to Pepakura designer you kind of have to take into account how you want it to be built, and what materials you want to use when building it. There are so many things I wanted to try out when modeling, but due to my inexperience I haven't been able to do it.

Right, and that's what I mean. It looks like you have a a good grasp on what makes a good/easy/effective pep model. Having made a crap load of pep models (and not having much to show for it) you kind of figure that out. I've come around to customizing my own unfolds for what I find easier, scoring a certain way (or not at all) or just custom building sections entirely.

For someone who claims not to have a lot of knowledge modeling, you're doing a good job. What software are you using? I use(d) Maya, but haven't touched it in ages.

I thought about organizing the sections together when I was arranging the parts originally, but I decided not to because of how I build things. I usually cut out all of the parts at one time before moving to the next step, so having them grouped together wouldn't have done me any good. I just arranged the layout to reduce the page number. I could still rearrange them, but the layout would probably use up more paper that way. That isn't such a big deal though.

Here is a picture to give you an idea of how I tried to break things up. This was how I setup my sections before I did the full assembly. There is a little more to it than this, but the picture should give you a good idea.

I dont have any official work thrown out to the community but im not to bad with pepakura's layout, Unfolding and selecting parts and whatnot. If you dont mind a little help I have an idea. I could take the model and basically do what you just did with the torso, but put it into pepakura. Jtm 1997 dose it with his Mk.V model.

For someone who claims not to have a lot of knowledge modeling, you're doing a good job. What software are you using? I use(d) Maya, but haven't touched it in ages.

Well I do have plenty of experience in modeling, but not in the same area. The type of modeling I am use to involves CAD drawings and dimensions. I can model anything if I have the dimensions, but I'm still trying to get use to modeling things based on pictures. As for the programs, I use Sketchup for all my initial modeling and then edit it more in Blender. I think most of the problems I have come from my lack of knowledge in the programs. Those two programs are totally different than the software I use at work.

I dont have any official work thrown out to the community but im not to bad with pepakura's layout, Unfolding and selecting parts and whatnot. If you dont mind a little help I have an idea. I could take the model and basically do what you just did with the torso, but put it into pepakura. Jtm 1997 dose it with his Mk.V model.

I appreciate the offer. I'm sure I could probably work something up on the layout that would split the part up well enough and keep waste to a minimum. I think at that point I would also label pages so things were more easily identified.

I type most of my posts in Word before I come here so anything that is long doesn't get lost.

That's a funny coincidence. For the last month I've been working on what's currently a 43-page document in iWork Pages (Apple's attempt at MS Word) for adding custom detail to the forearms. (Not to worry - the thread post won't be 43+ pages!) When it's finished (almost there...) I'll simply copy over to a post. I would be interested in acquiring the thigh pep file, either from you or from Nicktendo. Through a PM maybe? Please?

acquiring the thigh pep file, either from you or from Nicktendo. Through a PM maybe? Please?
sharing files via PM, here I am!

You guys just want the thigh? I want the whole suit he redid. I have (most if not all) of the 4shared database downloaded for personal use. But since I was thinking of doing a Halo 3 suit for my next halo build I would totally want these files. It would even replace the ones I have already! Totally interested in getting these.

Would also definitely be interested in these for personal use - I've been meaning to get around to a Mk.VI for ages.

Could add them to the Database as well, but only if you wanted to.

Yeah, I'd take other pieces as well, but the thigh has the most rework done to it from what I can see. I've already got customized arms, and the torso I plan to modify with mat board instead of pep. So the only other piece I might be interested in besides the thigh is the helmet.

That's a funny coincidence. For the last month I've been working on what's currently a 43-page document in iWork Pages (Apple's attempt at MS Word) for adding custom detail to the forearms. (Not to worry - the thread post won't be 43+ pages!) When it's finished (almost there...) I'll simply copy over to a post. I would be interested in acquiring the thigh pep file, either from you or from Nicktendo. Through a PM maybe? Please?

When I made my post in Word it took up about the same number of pages lol. The amount of pictures I had killed my post count. You just have to remember that the forums limit your pictures per post to 15.

You guys just want the thigh? I want the whole suit he redid. I have (most if not all) of the 4shared database downloaded for personal use. But since I was thinking of doing a Halo 3 suit for my next halo build I would totally want these files. It would even replace the ones I have already! Totally interested in getting these.

Would also definitely be interested in these for personal use - I've been meaning to get around to a Mk.VI for ages.

Could add them to the Database as well, but only if you wanted to.

I certainly don't mind the idea of releasing them or putting them in the database. I messaged a mod about what I need to do in order to release them. After I hear back and take the appropriate steps I will let everyone know. Not everyone will enjoy my unfolds. There are some parts that a lot of people will find difficult to build because of how they are set up. I would probably change the unfold for the helmet before I release it if you guys don't like the look of the unfold. I do plan on rearranging the part layouts to group the sections together, and I also plan on labeling the pages.

Yeah, I'd take other pieces as well, but the thigh has the most rework done to it from what I can see. I've already got customized arms, and the torso I plan to modify with mat board instead of pep. So the only other piece I might be interested in besides the thigh is the helmet.

Yeah, the thigh got quite a bit of attention. There were some things I missed. I think me being tired of messing with the model led me to skip over them. The helmet was not fun to build. The groove on the bill is a real pain, and I can only imagine how irritating it would be at a smaller scale.

I want to build that inner forearm detail you made. I plan on removing the incorrect detail on my forearm and replacing with the detail you made.

All of that aside, I am currently working on my boots. I have most of the material I added smoothed out. I have a bit more sanding to do on some areas I spot filled. Then I plan to glaze them, and give it one more final sand before I hit it with a coat of primer. I'll probably have to do some more spot filling after I prime it, but it shouldn't be much at all.

I also have a question. How do you guys sand your radii and fillets? I plan to get a set of radii gauges so that I can use them to apply spot glaze into inside corners to give me the fillet I want (they make a tool for applying tub and tile caulk that works in the same way). I just can't think of a way to sand my sharp outer comers all to the same radius. It doesn't need to be perfect, but I want them to be close enought that it doesn't bother me. I'm willing to let it slide on the boots, but I want to do a better job on them as I move up the list of parts.

You just have to remember that the forums limit your pictures per post to 15.

I've split the forearm detail thread into separate posts for the separate assembly steps. So far, the largest number of pictures for a single step is 8 - which is well within the limit.

Not everyone will enjoy my unfolds. There are some parts that a lot of people will find difficult to build because of how they are set up. The groove on the bill is a real pain, and I can only imagine how irritating it would be at a smaller scale.

I didn't enjoy other unfolds so I simply redid them to suit my personal preferences, and I also re-arrange the parts layout to use the least amount of cardstock. (After I resize at my scale, everything needs to be re-arranged.) I don't pep grooves with cardstock because they don't turn out well. I get better results making them with mat board. I also intend to split my helmet instead of widening the opening.

I want to build that inner forearm detail you made. I plan on removing the incorrect detail on my forearm and replacing with the detail you made.

It's almost done. (Not everyone will enjoy it - lol) I have them fully pepped now and have started installing them. I've also started going through their assembly thread and replacing all the formatting and photos with bulletin board tags. I'm holding off on uploading the detail parts until I've totally finished adding them to the forearms. Shouldn't be too much longer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back