SirPalesAlot’s MK VI WIP: You’re still not done yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have a question. How do you guys sand your radii and fillets? I plan to get a set of radii gauges so that I can use them to apply spot glaze into inside corners to give me the fillet I want (they make a tool for applying tub and tile caulk that works in the same way). I just can't think of a way to sand my sharp outer comers all to the same radius. It doesn't need to be perfect, but I want them to be close enough that it doesn't bother me. I'm willing to let it slide on the boots, but I want to do a better job on them as I move up the list of parts.

This is something I've struggled with. It's where I hit my stopping point due to frustration with the first helmet I attempted. I have a few sets of needle files that I didn't have then, so maybe that'll help. Also, a Dremel tool with a router attachment, so maybe that'll help.

But yeah, I've seen other users achieve these perfect looking grooves and indents and almost zero explanation as to how it was achieved. Kind of reminds me of this right here.

Closest thing I've seen to an explanation was Thorssoli using a hacksaw and jigsaw blades to score the grooves in his gauntlets as seen on his blog in this post. But that would only work for convex curves, really. I'm looking for a good method to get those little grooves in the helmet around the top of the brim and whatnot...

I didn't enjoy other unfolds so I simply redid them to suit my personal preferences, and I also re-arrange the parts layout to use the least amount of cardstock. (After I resize at my scale, everything needs to be re-arranged.) I don't pep grooves with cardstock because they don't turn out well. I get better results making them with mat board. I also intend to split my helmet instead of widening the opening.

It's almost done. (Not everyone will enjoy it - lol) I have them fully pepped now and have started installing them. I've also started going through their assembly thread and replacing all the formatting and photos with bulletin board tags. I'm holding off on uploading the detail parts until I've totally finished adding them to the forearms. Shouldn't be too much longer....

I thought about splitting my helmet before as well, but I had no clue how I would go about doing it. Also, after you release the outer forearm detail would you mind if I tried to add it to the full forearm model?

This is something I've struggled with. It's where I hit my stopping point due to frustration with the first helmet I attempted. I have a few sets of needle files that I didn't have then, so maybe that'll help. Also, a Dremel tool with a router attachment, so maybe that'll help.

But yeah, I've seen other users achieve these perfect looking grooves and indents and almost zero explanation as to how it was achieved. Kind of reminds me of this right here.

Closest thing I've seen to an explanation was Thorssoli using a hacksaw and jigsaw blades to score the grooves in his gauntlets as seen on his blog in this post. But that would only work for convex curves, really. I'm looking for a good method to get those little grooves in the helmet around the top of the brim and whatnot...

Right now I am at that point. I have a game plan for the fillets, but not for the radii. I planned to use the small file set I have to score in the grooves for detail like Thorssoil did, but I have no clue how to get the outer corners rounded to nearly the same radius. Right now the only thing I can do is free hand it, and if it doesn't match I have to add more material back and try again. It is time consuming. Here is a cheap set of radius gauges that you could use to spread glaze into sharp corners.

Since I'm talking about things that are time consuming I guess I can go ahead an say this here.... I'm probably going to restart my forearms and helmet. I noticed an area that was warped on the helmet, and it will be more trouble than it's worth to fix. As for the forearms, I want to go back and add the recessed pockets around the front detail that I removed. I realized that I would rather not grind them out manually. So now I am restarting almost the entire top portion of the suit. The chest is the only part that I have not decided to remake...yet. For some reason I can never be happy with anything that I make, and I always find a reason to start over. I wish I could let it go, but at the same time each part gets better with each new version.

Also, I heard back from the moderator about releasing the files. It will probably be next week before I can do anything. I'll be messaging the original creators to see what they have to say.

Also, after you release the outer forearm detail would you mind if I tried to add it to the full forearm model?

What people do with the forearm detail after I release it is not really of any concern to me, unless it's anything that 1. takes credit away from me for its origination, and 2. blames me for their build not turning out as they'd hoped. :p Honestly, it would be easier to add during a pep rather than retro-fit a finished forearm, but not being easy doesn't mean impossible. If somebody has enough time, they could, say...build a whole army of Spartans from unused peps. :D (j/k)

There is one thing to be forewarned about with the forearms detail. To properly replicate the in-game detail on the forearms, a V-shaped stepped line wraps around the upper half of the inside, starting from the detail part. This is accounted for in its design, and pretty much does require this other detail to be added as well, since the detail part is modeled with a bi-level rear/top to match its appearance in reference photos. So, it's not just simply cut a hole and add the part.

What people do with the forearm detail after I release it is not really of any concern to me, unless it's anything that 1. takes credit away from me for its origination, and 2. blames me for their build not turning out as they'd hoped. :p Honestly, it would be easier to add during a pep rather than retro-fit a finished forearm, but not being easy doesn't mean impossible. If somebody has enough time, they could, say...build a whole army of Spartans from unused peps. :D (j/k)

There is one thing to be forewarned about with the forearms detail. To properly replicate the in-game detail on the forearms, a V-shaped stepped line wraps around the upper half of the inside, starting from the detail part. This is accounted for in its design, and pretty much does require this other detail to be added as well, since the detail part is modeled with a bi-level rear/top to match its appearance in reference photos. So, it's not just simply cut a hole and add the part.

Well, since I decided to remake the forearm I will probably just add the detail into the model when you release it. I do agree that it would probably be easier. I could have built a small army of Pepakura Spartans by now lol. Soooo much time and money wasted, and I have almost nothing to show for it lol.

For grooves, I would start cutting in lines with a scribing tool (Olfa and Tamiya make good ones). You could then widen the lines with a scraper, basically a thin, flat sided piece of metal. (Gesse make a set of 'Pen Scrapers which make short work of plastic, so should go through Bondo quite easily.)

http://www.hlj.com/product/GESST-133/Sup

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check one of these out when I come around to adding the detail grooves.

It's been a few days since my last post, and I'm here to say that I haven't been slacking off. I managed to get the boots sanded and glazed before a cold front moved in. I haven't done much else on them since. I am also waiting on the weather to clear up a bit more before I start on the shins and thighs. As for the rest of the armor I decided to go back to square one. I am in the process of adding more details to the forearm and torso. I will also be revisiting the COD as well and adding/fixing some of the detail on it. For now I thought I would show everyone what I have up to this point to get opinions on how things look. If anyone sees anything that needs to be adjusted and/or added then please let me know. Also, if anyone has a way to pull screenshots from the game I would love some extra pictures. Since there is no way to retrieve screenshots from Halo 3 since the fileshare system isn't supported you would need a capture card to to do this. Sadly, I do not have a capture card.

This is the forearm I have been working on. I re-added the detail I had removed before and I also added some extra detail. You will also notice I added the inner detail made by RobotChicken. The back still needs some attention, but I don't have any real good screenshots of this area.

Forearm_New_Details_1_zpsdd90cb6e.png

Here is the torso I have been working on. Some of this detail might be a bit overkill, but if you're gonna pep some of the detail that is small why not just do it all? I would much rather make it out of paper than have to go back and add it later with sculpting epoxy. On the front of the torso around the neck I am contemplating leaving the rest of the detail out. There is a raised ring that is at the opening of the neck with a shape that sits directly between it and the detail I have added. Since the rings position is dependent on where you may have to cut the neck opening I thought it might be best to leave it out.

Torso_New_Details_1_zps04a1aba3.png

Torso_New_Details_2_zpsa1534217.png

Torso_New_Details_3_zps21155816.png

I will be releasing the files I am working on, but I will release them only after I have built them. This will let me adjust anything in the model or unfold that may cause problems for anyone down the road. Also, if anyone would like me to release a version of any of the models I am working on that with some of the detail removed let me know. I know there are some people out there who would rather build some detail later in their builds, but may want to use one of the models I am working on. Let me know what you guys think, and thanks for stopping by.

Attachments

• Forearm_New_Details_1_zpsdd90cb6e.png
    Forearm_New_Details_1_zpsdd90cb6e.png
    289 KB · Views: 140
  • Torso_New_Details_1_zps04a1aba3.png
    Torso_New_Details_1_zps04a1aba3.png
    346 KB · Views: 155
  • Torso_New_Details_2_zpsa1534217.png
    Torso_New_Details_2_zpsa1534217.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Torso_New_Details_3_zps21155816.png
    Torso_New_Details_3_zps21155816.png
    193.7 KB · Views: 149
Awesome work bro, Could i use some of your modified files to pepped out my Mark 6 forearms. I was having trouble with Nuggets file because of the many peaces and would be great to pepp those bad boys out. Keep up the great work. All the files on Halo Costuming Wiki are out dated. I would love to know if i can download these somewhere.

Oh would you like some help with pics. I own a capture card. I also can take pics view Halo 4 of the Mark 6 Forearm for you. Just let me know and i will make a folder for you on photobucket.

Awesome work bro, Could i use some of your modified files to pepped out my Mark 6 forearms. I was having trouble with Nuggets file because of the many peaces and would be great to pepp those bad boys out. Keep up the great work. All the files on Halo Costuming Wiki are out dated. I would love to know if i can download these somewhere.

Oh would you like some help with pics. I own a capture card. I also can take pics view Halo 4 of the Mark 6 Forearm for you. Just let me know and i will make a folder for you on photobucket.

Thank you! I don't think the costuming wiki has been updated in a while. The 405th Pepakura database is updated more often, and that is where I plan to have my files uploaded to when they are released. You can find that here

As of right now I don't have the latest forearm ready for unfolding, but I think it will be way harder to make than the original just because of the additional detail that is being added. If you want a version that includes only what is in the original (with only a few extra details), but in a more manageable way I can work that up for you. I planned on releasing two different versions of a few of the files I am making anyways.

Yes I would love some extra reference pictures. I need some clear shots of the Halo 3 MK VI cod and forearms from some standard directions (front, back, and sides). If the character color is gray it will make it really easy to see the details. As of right now I have no plans on modeling anything from Halo 4. I have to finish my first suit before I start looking ahead to another project.

You will also notice I added the inner detail made by RobotChicken.

My new detail piece looks good on the forearm - it would have been a lot easier for me if it was modeled in like that instead of my custom hack. (How did you resolve the bi-leveled top without including the stepped top line?) I would ask that you include a text note within the PDO file giving me credit for that detail area since I spent quite a bit of time researching and modeling it.

On the front of the torso around the neck I am contemplating leaving the rest of the detail out. There is a raised ring that is at the opening of the neck with a shape that sits directly between it and the detail I have added. Since the rings position is dependent on where you may have to cut the neck opening I thought it might be best to leave it out.

I can tell you that on my own build this entire recessed area will be cut out and replaced with foam for a more-comfortable fit around the neck. I would include the detail and people can decide individually whether to pep it or use it for foam templates.

Coming up in my own build is a missing indented "ramp" on the forearm that I can't see if you've added because it's on the view not included in your image (you have 3 of the 4 sides shown).

Now don't take this the wrong way because your models are looking fantastic, but in my opinion some of the finer details you're adding would be difficult to pep. You might consider offering 2 versions of the files - full detail (or full frustration, depending on the builder), and another with details separated as templates for those people who prefer to add them later or differently. Even if I built your files as they look now, I'd be modifying the printed cardstock to replace some of the parts with mat board for strength and easier building. Your files are what I was hoping to find when I started downloading HD files months ago and I'm anxious for you to upload them so I can start using them for my build. They'll reduce the time I'm spending adding missing details to the armor.

Those models look really good, though they make my fingers hurt just to look at them! I'm impressed.

These models are really making me look forward to my Halo 3 build. However at the same time they make me dont wanna do it. Still im very anxious to start working on this.

On the front of the torso around the neck I am contemplating leaving the rest of the detail out.

I think you should put the detail in. Just having half of the detail in kinda leaves a half done job as a builder. Ive seen others put in the detail your talking about and think it really adds to the neck detail.

Just my two cents:

I agree with RobotChicken. If you're adding a detail that's basically a raised surface off another surface (especially if it's pretty flat) it's much more easily done in mat/illustration board or craft foam. You'll most certainly get a cleaner finish, and the little bevels added in pep like that weaken the structure and shape of the piece as a whole.

Aside from that, the models themselves are looking amazing. Kind of defeats the purpose of the 'detail sketches' I was doing for my own reference. I'm interested in the HD models for the reference alone! (Speaking of reference, if someone is going to capture more reference pictures, well, sharing is caring!) I'd maybe consider what RobotChicken suggested, and doing a Medium Def file for ease of construction, and a HD file for reference/detail.

That being said, anything you decide to release would be more than appreciated!

EDIT: While we're on the topic of reference, I figured I should note that I'll be taking screencaps of the Halo 3 cutscenes soon. (that's the model I plan to use for reference. It's finer than the in-game model) I'll put an album together an throw it up as soon as I can.

I will jump on to Halo 3 Later on today or tomorrow and take many pics for you. I will try to make them gray for you with photoshop.

My new detail piece looks good on the forearm - it would have been a lot easier for me if it was modeled in like that instead of my custom hack. (How did you resolve the bi-leveled top without including the stepped top line?) I would ask that you include a text note within the PDO file giving me credit for that detail area since I spent quite a bit of time researching and modeling it.

I can tell you that on my own build this entire recessed area will be cut out and replaced with foam for a more-comfortable fit around the neck. I would include the detail and people can decide individually whether to pep it or use it for foam templates.

Coming up in my own build is a missing indented "ramp" on the forearm that I can't see if you've added because it's on the view not included in your image (you have 3 of the 4 sides shown).

Now don't take this the wrong way because your models are looking fantastic, but in my opinion some of the finer details you're adding would be difficult to pep. You might consider offering 2 versions of the files - full detail (or full frustration, depending on the builder), and another with details separated as templates for those people who prefer to add them later or differently. Even if I built your files as they look now, I'd be modifying the printed cardstock to replace some of the parts with mat board for strength and easier building. Your files are what I was hoping to find when I started downloading HD files months ago and I'm anxious for you to upload them so I can start using them for my build. They'll reduce the time I'm spending adding missing details to the armor.

Yes, I really do like that detail piece. What you made for your build on the top left of the detail is sort of what I did for both sides. The top area is stepped back just a bit from the outer edges. Since I still have to add the detail area to the back that might change on the right side of the detail. Your name would definitely go on the file to give you credit.

I understand exactly what you mean. I prefer to pep everything in and brace it so most of the leg work is done in paper, but I know many others prefer building detail with body filler and other materials. So, since so many people like to build these things differently I will probably make three files for each piece. I will make a medium detail, high detail, and a version with all the details. I'm not quite sure what I want to call that version.

On the chest, the medium detail will include only the needed recessed detail and no raised detail. The high detail will include all of the recessed detail, and none of the raised detail. The final version will include everything. The raised detail that will be removed from the MD and HD files will be represented in the form of floating faces. I will do my best to make the files parts sort of interchangeable. Then you could pick and choose what you wanted to build. This wont work for all of the parts, but I think I can at least get away with it on some of the chest.

I want to be done with the files as well so I can build them too. Right now I need to adjust some detail on the back of the chest near the center to match the game model better. The back of the forearm has no detail added, which is why I didn't include it in the pictures.

Once I get the details on the models sorted out I will clean up the polygons in Blender, and then it is on to unfolding. Those two steps usually do not take me much time.

Those models look really good, though they make my fingers hurt just to look at them! I'm impressed.

Thank you! Well hopefully I can put together some versions that wont make your fingers hurt just by looking at them lol. I think the worst part about all the Pepakura building is the cutting and scoring. The X-acto knife really does a number on my hands. If only I had a printer to cut it all out for me lol.

These models are really making me look forward to my Halo 3 build. However at the same time they make me dont wanna do it. Still im very anxious to start working on this.

I think you should put the detail in. Just having half of the detail in kinda leaves a half done job as a builder. Ive seen others put in the detail your talking about and think it really adds to the neck detail.

Well I don't want to discourage anyone with any of the files I am making. I know not everyone is going to be up to the task of building the full detail version, and I would hate for someone to miss out because of that. So that is one of the reasons I wanted to make the multiple versions.

Just my two cents:

I agree with RobotChicken. If you're adding a detail that's basically a raised surface off another surface (especially if it's pretty flat) it's much more easily done in mat/illustration board or craft foam. You'll most certainly get a cleaner finish, and the little bevels added in pep like that weaken the structure and shape of the piece as a whole.

Aside from that, the models themselves are looking amazing. Kind of defeats the purpose of the 'detail sketches' I was doing for my own reference. I'm interested in the HD models for the reference alone! (Speaking of reference, if someone is going to capture more reference pictures, well, sharing is caring!) I'd maybe consider what RobotChicken suggested, and doing a Medium Def file for ease of construction, and a HD file for reference/detail.

That being said, anything you decide to release would be more than appreciated!

EDIT: While we're on the topic of reference, I figured I should note that I'll be taking screencaps of the Halo 3 cutscenes soon. (that's the model I plan to use for reference. It's finer than the in-game model) I'll put an album together an throw it up as soon as I can.

I think I answered all of what you brought up in my reply to RobotChicken lol. Also, I would love to check out those screencaps. I think those would help out a lot. They would come in handy for the work I plan on doing on the cod.

I will jump on to Halo 3 Later on today or tomorrow and take many pics for you. I will try to make them gray for you with photoshop.

Thank you! I don't think you would need to go as far as edit them in Photoshop unless you're certain it would show the details better. I was just saying change the characters armor colors in the game. Regardless, I appreciate the help!

So I guess that is it for now. I'm going to keep messing with the chest file while I wait on some better reference photos of the other parts. Maybe by then I will have the chest ready for the next step. As soon as I get the chest model ready to go I will post pictures of each version to get one more final input from you guys. I want to try and get these files done as soon as I can so we can all start using them.

Well...it's back to work on these parts. Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions!

Just wanted to let you know I finished those screenshots. The links are in my signature.

If you're interested, the source video is here.

Full zip was individual downloads for each file. More convenient would have been a zipped folder containing all the images in just one download.

Just wanted to let you know I finished those screenshots. The links are in my signature.

If you're interested, the source video is here.

Thanks! I just downloaded them. I am about to check them out now.

Full zip was individual downloads for each file. More convenient would have been a zipped folder containing all the images in just one download.

To dowload them all at once you just have to click file at the top left of the screen and then hit download. You can also hit ctrl+s and it will do it as well.

To dowload them all at once you just have to click file at the top left of the screen and then hit download. You can also hit ctrl+s and it will do it as well.

This. I noticed that after I uploaded it. Annoying, yes. I'll modify my sig to be a little more clear.

EDIT: Hope they're of use!

This. I noticed that after I uploaded it. Annoying, yes. I'll modify my sig to be a little more clear.

EDIT: Hope they're of use!

They should be really useful for the cod when I get around to it. Thank you!

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with the neck detail. Depending on the angle/picture you look at, the detail below the ring in the center will be different. I'm not sure what shape it actually is. In some shots it looks exactly like the shape Cereal has in his build, and in others it looks like a standard trapezoid. I think I am happy with where the back of the chest is right now.

I already split up the chest into the three different versions. Since all I have left to do is the neck on the full version, all that is required on the other two versions is the floating face for the raised detail in that area. As soon as I figure out what to do with that area I can move them into the next stage. So what do you guys think that shape in that area is? Should I leave it out all together?

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with the neck detail. Depending on the angle/picture you look at, the detail below the ring in the center will be different. I'm not sure what shape it actually is. In some shots it looks exactly like the shape Cereal has in his build, and in others it looks like a standard trapezoid. I think I am happy with where the back of the chest is right now.

Where exactly are you talking about? The front neck/chest detail here?
chest.jpg

Or the back if the neck detail here?
backneck.jpg

EDIT: I think I misread your question. I see now it was two different thoughts.

Attachments

• backneck.jpg
    backneck.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 147
  • chest.jpg
    chest.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 148
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back