Jev

How are we lads!
A new thread for an old project to start the new year!

I printed this helmet on my old Ender 3 (now with one of my friends, hoping I can convince him to join the 405th lol) in 6 pieces, I didn't have any wood or body filler at the time so for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to try a silicone sealant (Don't try this... please). That went about as well as you might expect xD
I got most of the egregious bits of silicone off and left the mostly intact parts on under a thick layer of wood filler to be sanded down (photo below)
Helmet1.jpg

After vigorous use of my random orbit sander (my hands didn't feel right for an hour afterwards xD) I got it down to a point where I was happy with it. While sanding, some of the bottom layer of silicone sealant came off, taking some wood filler with it (this is the issue mentioned previously). The silicone just didn't adhere to the plastic enough. However, this can be used to my advantage in that I can use the small divots as weathering and paint them in silver or another metallic colour down the line. After this I quickly got to getting the epoxy layer down on the helmet, I barely had enough epoxy to cover the helmet fully, I had to paint it on with an old brush in places (I used most of my epoxy on my helmet in my Spartan iii build, I'll have to order more soon).
I proceeded to wait 2 days for the resin to dry while doing my level best to keep anything from touching the helmet while still tacky (I once made the mistake to touch a helmet bare handed full-palm when making a Spartan iv scout helmet. Let's just say I'm paranoid about resin at this stage :lol:)

Helmet2.jpg

After the resin dried I decided to fill the overhang in the helmet with a mesh for some added detail cause I'm just not a fan of the empty cave sort of look (plus there were some SERIOUS layer lines in there that I couldn't reasonably sand down).

Helmet3.jpg

It may not be a lore-accurate detail but I'm very happy with the added interest that it brings, without anything else to go with the helmet it can look a bit flat in my opinion. I also used a rotary tool to go over the helmet with a veritable fine tooth comb and clear any bumps or raised areas. Most of the work was dried drops of resin around the brim of the helmet.

I'll update the thread when I get the time to get painting it!

Any comments or recommendations are appreciated, have a nice day.

Update 17-1-24:

So after doing a first layer of paint I found that the helmet was not as smooth as I though it was , so I’ve gone back with another round of sanding. The layer of paint has probably helped the sanding and quality of smoothness at least!

I’ve at least settled on a colour scheme, I’m going with a ranger green external with a black internal and of course a bit of dirty silver for the mesh up top.

I can already tell that I’m going to LOVE weathering this thing!
IMG_2462.jpeg

More updates coming when possible as usual!

Update 21-1-24:

And it’s done!

After around 2 weeks of work (probably could have condensed it down to a single week) I’ve finally completed the helmet. I’m honestly really happy with how it’s come out altogether. I ended up using a paper stencil to spray on the Aquila but I had to go over it with some gold paint (retributor armour, for you fellow painting nerds out there ) by hand. While I was there with the gold paint I cleaned up around where the stencil lifted (Aquilas are PAINFUL to cut out and stencil on).

For the main body of the helmet I ended up doing around 2 coats of paint on the outside (ranger green) and one on the inside (plain black spray), I used a silver paint (leadbelcher) for the areas where the sanding got too deep to add some divots and chips in the helmets paint. To add some small detail I used some citadel technical paint to give it a dirtier look around some areas (near the grill, on the bolts). And then to top it all off I coated it in Agrax earthshade (1/2 for the good dirty look and 1/2 for the irony of such a large Warhammer piece still being covered in it)

For a quick project I’m very happy with how the helmet has come out and it’s opened a backup should my Spartan not be con ready for the next con.

IMG_2491.jpeg

IMG_2492.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back