Starting my first armor

Have you tested your paint compatible with other layers and with your choice of masking tape?
I ask because its not uncommon to see silvers especially chromes not playing well with taping. Residue sticks to the paint or the paint lifts with the tape. I'm just hoping that your final parts aren't your test pieces.

Have you tested your paint compatible with other layers and with your choice of masking tape?
I ask because its not uncommon to see silvers especially chromes not playing well with taping. Residue sticks to the paint or the paint lifts with the tape. I'm just hoping that your final parts aren't your test pieces.
yes i did, and they do great together, the only bad thing is my ability to paint XD

All the pieces done, the only thing left is sand some of them and paint, im so happy of the fit also.
I'll start printing the armor tomorrow.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-10 at 23.49.56.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-10 at 20.26.34.jpeg

I haven't been very active lately because I don't want to burn out on this project due to recent events, a failed piece just about to finish printing in 2 days, another with a very bad finish in 3 and a half days, and the worst, a Broken printer nozzle due to still a jam, fortunately it only took a day to fix the printer and it is already up and running.

For the moment I padded the helmet with a rubber band for the chin so that it does not move too much along with some Velcro on the joints since the magnets were not strong enough, since when I looked up my neck would pull the piece of the helmet, also I have 3 of 4 pieces of the lower leg, 2 of which I will finish sanding tomorrow and probably painting; Right now the front and back chest are being printed, I pray to God that the dimensions are right.
photo1708539514 (1).jpeg
photo1708539514.jpeg

I need some help, I don't know how to make the pieces stay fixed, maybe some type of foam or padding, but everything I see on Amazon seems too thin for what I need, does anyone know how to do it?

I need some help, I don't know how to make the pieces stay fixed, maybe some type of foam or padding, but everything I see on Amazon seems too thin for what I need, does anyone know how to do it?
So you're saying some part, whatever it is, has a sloppy fit? Lots of play? And you want it to not flop around?
My first worry is that if the foams you're find seem too small, then just how much TOO big is the part?

Generally, regular craft-like sponge foam (seat cushion foam) from a craft store should keep something from flopping around too much.

In the end I used the padding of the printer box to keep the parts in place XD,
SgtSaint the link does not work for me although it has helped me find some things on Amazon, and my biggest concern was that the foam I saw on Amazon was quite expensive as soon as it starts to have some size, thanks to the shoulder pad I saw that with 3 or 4cm works for me.

The printing of the back of the chest also failed, after almost 1 kg of PLA and 130 hours of printing, I tried to save it but there was no way, but at least I was able to use it to check the dimensions, it fits very well although I have to Be careful with the arms under the armpits since they are somewhat weak and could break if I put on the armor incorrectly.
Sorry for the quality of the photos, none of my cameras are the best.
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-25 at 23.30.30.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-25 at 23.30.30 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-25 at 23.30.29.jpeg

I've been thinking about how to make the rubber parts of the inner suit, but I don't want to spend too much on flexible material, which from what I've seen is not cheap, does anyone have any idea how to do it?
Especially the neck part, which I am sure that even if I make it with flexible material I will have to cut it somewhere to be able to place it.

I've been thinking about how to make the rubber parts of the inner suit, but I don't want to spend too much on flexible material, which from what I've seen is not cheap, does anyone have any idea how to do it?
Especially the neck part, which I am sure that even if I make it with flexible material I will have to cut it somewhere to be able to place it.
I've seen a few people using flexible filaments like TPU for neck seals and armour gaskets, it might be a good idea to chech that out as opposed to going for the rather expensive/difficult silicone route.

For a starter and affordable 'neck seal', a simple balaclava does the job of covering all the skin.
After that... How are your sewing skills? Carbon Fibre may not match the look you're going for as it is Silver Timeline (TV show), but you can do a lot with needle and thread and the right materials.
1709035723664.png

1709035820302.png

I've seen a few people using flexible filaments like TPU for neck seals and armour gaskets, it might be a good idea to chech that out as opposed to going for the rather expensive/difficult silicone route.
Do you know how flexible the filament was?
I think it would have to be between 85A and 60A, since at least the ones I have seen, the more flexible the more expensive it becomes.

imagen_2024-02-27_203016388.png

Do you know how flexible the filament was?
I think it would have to be between 85A and 60A, since at least the ones I have seen, the more flexible the more expensive it becomes.

View attachment 342824
I can’t remember exactly what the rating was but I’d say that you would want to go soft for it just for comfort, even if it is more.

I think I will use this for the inner suit, since printing the pieces with flexible material is very expensive and doing it myself by sewing it seems complex and time-consuming. If anyone has another way, I would love to know about it.
imagen_2024-03-03_141210522.png

I have finished the hats and forearms, my brother is helping me create the shoulder protections for the suit which I plan to publish, maybe for a couple of euros.
The part of the chest after it had another printing error due to the fact that I forgot to draw the supports, but I can make it go through one more ventilation, it has a couple of hours left to finish, I will post photos as soon as it is finished

It doesn't matter, the power has gone out, an SD card has broken and the forearm has been left halfway, and the chest is resuming but it has left a couple of layers blank, it will probably come off...

I'm fed up, my ******* chest has already made me use about 3 or 4 Kg of PLA for nothing and it has broken an extruder, karma is screwing me by giving me an extra printer, but it is what it is

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back