Still Alive. Aperture Science Advanced Military Combat Suit (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slight delay... Working on the shoulders right now. I had to take a break for my school finals, and I haven't really gotten back to full speed. Lol. Once the shoulders are done though, I just gotta finish my boots, and redo my cod and building will be DONE.

I have been spending my down time with a dremal cleaning up some of my edges and glue lines, and cutting my visor down to fit... Though I still need to get some mirrored tint for it. (using a visor I slightly damaged in a gravel-skid out on my bike. Only downside is it was clear)

Is it my imagination or does the back half of that gun look like the arm cannon of a certain bounty hunter?

Is it my imagination or does the back half of that gun look like the arm cannon of a certain bounty hunter?

As a matter of fact... It IS. :D

Not just the back half though... took the entire cannon, extended the barrel, and added a stock to it. Along with a few structural changes just to make it look more "gunny".

Ok guys.... As much fun as it is just kinda beating around the bush in terms of WHAT my project actually is, I would love to keep that going. However, (though I am nowhere ready yet to actually start implementing the "upgrades"), I need some advice.

Just so that everyone IS in fact on the same page, here it is...

GLaDOS has gotten her claws on a MK Vb suit, and is Portal-fying it.

I have most of the finer details figured out already, but one or two other things I would like to add if I have time to b4 D*Con this year.

On my list of definite's:

*(As close as) Full-scale Weighted Companion Cube that serves as my armour locker. It will be at least 2' X 2' X 2', made of light weight laminate board (so I can actually carry it around), and be hinged on the inside. POSSIBLY (but not certainly) link the top heart to the locking mech.

*Orange under-suit. Because, well... Test Subject official jumpsuit... duh...

*Aperture logo and branding.

*Combustible Lemonades

*Aperture Science Weaponized Portal Device (my gun from earlier. Essentially a portal gun, paint gun, and a turret all in one.)

What I need help on:

*Some sort of backpack containment device allowing me to carry around a supply of Gel. I was thinking 3 2-liter bottles strapped together, each with it's own Gel, that would have tubes that ran to the gun (Paint gun part. Would allow placement of Gels when without a localized source.) Obviously, I want something cleaner than just 3 2-liter bottles... but that's the prototype idea. Also need ideas for what to use as the Gel.

*Less important (but way more awesome) idea. I would LOVE to have a "working" AI integrated in the suit. I have played around with Melodyne in trying to make some custom lines that sound like GLaDOS... but no luck. Also, the plan was to load them into, and play them from my iPhone (which will be built into the suit in the form of Carters Tac-Pad), but, short of loading them to a playlist in itunes... I dont actually know how to do that... lol

So... yeah... What do ya'll think? :)

This project is going to be AWESOME!

I sure hope so! My biggest concern is the under-suit... Like I said, I know what I want to do... It's just a matter of finding an orange jumpsuit, that's not the "prison costume" (those are all short sleeve). Iv'e actually been looking at the uni-tards that dancers use, but... those aren't exactly guy-minded... (from what I can find). I need something fairly snug, as i only have like a 1/4in clearance in my armour. lol

Is this the sort of thing you mean?
thingy
Or do you mean you want something that fits tighter to the body?

(And yes I realise it is a prison jumpsuit costume, but it doesn't have short sleeves, souseful maybe?)

EDIT: Also, you should set the lemons up on yourself lke Emile has his grenades. Would look totally awesome.

Yeah, a little tighter than that. I mean, I can take in the fabric to an extent, but I dont want it bunching all up around the edges and my joints.

EDIT: If I had more, I would... But I only have 2. I still need to find an army surplus store to get the triggers from...

And here we are. Just finished my shoulders so *every* part of the base suit is finished! I did kinda rush this build, (time spent actually working, time since I started was almost a year... with a lot of breaks...), so what I have is essentially just a low-def foam suit. I will be layering on the details though. My skills just aren't up there where I can just throw together a masterpiece just yet like some of you. Plus, it's better to have less detail and add to it, than have a TON of detail, and make a huge freaking mistake. :p

Anyway, pics.

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

I would LOVE to put up some pics of my actually wearing it... but... kinda impossible without an undersuit to hold everything in place. (trust me, I tried.) I will not have to go back and redo as much as I thought I would, as the scale actually finally came together with the full set. :)

Looks good, can't wait till you get the jumpsuit and we get to see the whole thing painted and you wearing it.

OH! Something I ment to ask sooner... with the added weight of my visor, my helmet has a tendency to fall forward on my head... I don't have much room inside to add supports though... (Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking of just redoing the helm... Idk yet. ). Suggestions?

As in like rotate forwards?
I would suggest building the foam padding in so that there is a bit more of it at the front, should hopefully maybe stop falling forward.

As in like rotate forwards?
I would suggest building the foam padding in so that there is a bit more of it at the front, should hopefully maybe stop falling forward.

Yeah, it just keeps flopping down on my face. IDK if I actually built it big enough though... I'll take a pic real quick and post.

Edit:

Yeah... ok... So apparently I had this balaclava I forgot I had... Fits like a glove now... Only thing is it's black and not orange... bleh.

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

Also, ignore the visor for now. Thats a damaged spare I had that I cut down just to get an idea of size/mounting. I'll either order some mirrored tint to put on it, or just order a mirrored visor when I get further along.

Looks great, the torso and the helmet look great together.

Can't really comment on the balaclava's colour until I've seen the undersuit, but if it doesn't show out the back of the helmet then the tint on the visor will fix that right up.

Gotta say again though, really love the look of the torso an the chest together.

Well... the under-suit is gonna be ORANGE... so... I MIGHT be able to make it work? we'll see.

And THANKS! I was seriously worried about my scaling... My method involves taking a meter stick, slapping it across my body, and going, "Ehhh... X mm looks close enough". lol. (Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely proud of my work, I'm just aware that I cut corners where ever I could to save time/money/material.)

Yeh, I use a tape measure and/or 30cm ruler myself :p

If worst comes to worst and the balaclava really bothers you, there are several templates for foam necks that you can make, and paint orange (or black to match the under armour).

EDIT: Check out NickNackPattyWack's build, he's got a great neck piece.

And yes, the photos don't show a huge amount of detail, but you still get the basic idea and what detail you do see looks great. Maybe it's just the angle the photo was taken on, but the chest looks great sticking out, like a macho chest guy out of rambo or something. Really suits the whole super soldier thing.

Looks great man! Sizing and everything works.
I told my friend you were portalizing your build and she squeed like a schoolgirl lol. she loves portal. :) so keep those updates cooming so i can show her too lol

Looks great man! Sizing and everything works.
I told my friend you were portalizing your build and she squeed like a schoolgirl lol. she loves portal. :) so keep those updates cooming so i can show her too lol

LOL! Good to hear, and will do! well... eventually... Untethered jailbreak for iphone 4, ios 5.1.1 was FINALLY released today and I got a little carried away with installs... I am currently working on turning a brick back into an iPhone. lmao!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back