The Dead Space Bucket Build - Original(ish) Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mblackwell1002

Sr Member
I get busy from time to time. Haven't worked on anything super big project-wise in a bit but here's my current one.
Over the past 3 months or so, I've been slowly chipping away at a helmet project that I've wanted to do for a while from dead space. Great game, love it to bits. However, I wanted to take a fresh approach to the design, mash up some concept art (and make some of my own), spend some time 3D modeling and going through design revisions, all that jazz. So here I am, with some progress to show for it.

Here is some of the art I really liked, and used as a reference/inspiration.
image0.jpg07a7732104ac3c8b7d6ed4478230788d.jpg
I tried to retain what made these artworks stand out and also make it have a similar vibe/silhouette to the original. Big, clunky, lots of overlapping pieces. You can be the judge of whether I succeeded in doing that.

I did some sketches, mixed those two designs together as best I knew how, and modeled a boi in Blender.
DEAD SPACE render 1.pngDEAD SPACE render 2.pngDed SPaes 6.png

Turned out ok, but i needed something that fit together a little better. So I *remodeled* it in fusion 360, and this was the result:
1622186133913.png1622186228325.pngDead Space Helmet v69.png
He's a chunky-looking bucket if I do say so myself. I do have some plans to add more greeblies and textures from other materials. I'll share that stuff later.

Anywho, Onto the real world.
I started by making the facepiece out of acrylic. Yes, there are probably a dozen better materials to make this out of, but it's what I had on hand. And it cuts easy on a laser. I intend to mold/cast the face out of a lighter material later on, to allow for servos to raise and lower the facepiece easier (if that ever even happens, let's be real...BUT it would be super cool and I'd like to make it happen once it's finished). Made some metal fastening pieces from aluminum on a scroll saw, sanded them down, sharpened the corners and edges of the acrylic pieces on the belt sander and we're good to start assembling. Punched some holes with a drill press, screwed in some (too long) machine screws (I'll get some shorter ones later), and we're all set.
20210123_223238026_iOS.jpg1622186729166.png1622186849853.png1622186878026.png1622186904148.png1622186930764.png
Then, primer. Several coats, with sanding between layers, y'know. Normal stuff, you folks know the drill. Added some details from separate pieces of acrylic later on, too.
1622187249240.png1622187306102.png1622187366436.png1622187336653.png

Then, I went to make the rear pieces. I have a buddy nearby who has a big boi 3D printer, so I asked him to print me a few pieces in exchange for some help with his projects, too. Everyone wins, and I get big chunks of 3D-printed parts with no seams! It's really incredible, not having to fill/sand assembly seams. Did about four passes of Bondo, and I'm very happy with the finish of these parts thus far.
1622187524922.png1622187670169.png
I have a few more parts almost ready to go, and the main body helmet piece is about to be printed, so I'll have a lot of work ahead of me.

And as a bonus pic, I have a little project of mine I recently finished and its inspiration:

1622188064595.png1622188105282.png1622188130531.png1622188158450.png
(it's a cool gadget, I do recommend)

Hope y'all enjoyed this chunk of the build log. More later. Hopefully "later" doesn't mean "two months" but ya never know. Feedback/criticism/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Dead Space 9.png
    Dead Space 9.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 236
  • 1622186038307.png
    1622186038307.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 314
I love the Dead Space trilogy, and still very surprised that there isnt more Dead Space armor, or cosplays. Then again, the armor is very intricate. Will be lurking here for the updates as they come, look forward to seeing the final project!

I get busy from time to time. Haven't worked on anything super big project-wise in a bit but here's my current one.
Over the past 3 months or so, I've been slowly chipping away at a helmet project that I've wanted to do for a while from dead space. Great game, love it to bits. However, I wanted to take a fresh approach to the design, mash up some concept art (and make some of my own), spend some time 3D modeling and going through design revisions, all that jazz. So here I am, with some progress to show for it.

Here is some of the art I really liked, and used as a reference/inspiration.
View attachment 306431View attachment 306432
I tried to retain what made these artworks stand out and also make it have a similar vibe/silhouette to the original. Big, clunky, lots of overlapping pieces. You can be the judge of whether I succeeded in doing that.

I did some sketches, mixed those two designs together as best I knew how, and modeled a boi in Blender.
View attachment 306433View attachment 306434View attachment 306436

Turned out ok, but i needed something that fit together a little better. So I *remodeled* it in fusion 360, and this was the result:
View attachment 306438View attachment 306439View attachment 306440
He's a chunky-looking bucket if I do say so myself. I do have some plans to add more greeblies and textures from other materials. I'll share that stuff later.

Anywho, Onto the real world.
I started by making the facepiece out of acrylic. Yes, there are probably a dozen better materials to make this out of, but it's what I had on hand. And it cuts easy on a laser. I intend to mold/cast the face out of a lighter material later on, to allow for servos to raise and lower the facepiece easier (if that ever even happens, let's be real...BUT it would be super cool and I'd like to make it happen once it's finished). Made some metal fastening pieces from aluminum on a scroll saw, sanded them down, sharpened the corners and edges of the acrylic pieces on the belt sander and we're good to start assembling. Punched some holes with a drill press, screwed in some (too long) machine screws (I'll get some shorter ones later), and we're all set.
View attachment 306441View attachment 306442View attachment 306443View attachment 306444View attachment 306445View attachment 306446
Then, primer. Several coats, with sanding between layers, y'know. Normal stuff, you folks know the drill. Added some details from separate pieces of acrylic later on, too.
View attachment 306447View attachment 306448View attachment 306450View attachment 306449

Then, I went to make the rear pieces. I have a buddy nearby who has a big boi 3D printer, so I asked him to print me a few pieces in exchange for some help with his projects, too. Everyone wins, and I get big chunks of 3D-printed parts with no seams! It's really incredible, not having to fill/sand assembly seams. Did about four passes of Bondo, and I'm very happy with the finish of these parts thus far.
View attachment 306451View attachment 306452
I have a few more parts almost ready to go, and the main body helmet piece is about to be printed, so I'll have a lot of work ahead of me.

And as a bonus pic, I have a little project of mine I recently finished and its inspiration:

View attachment 306453View attachment 306454View attachment 306455View attachment 306456
(it's a cool gadget, I do recommend)

Hope y'all enjoyed this chunk of the build log. More later. Hopefully "later" doesn't mean "two months" but ya never know. Feedback/criticism/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.
mblackwell1002 is back and working on stuff! It is a good day!
Parks And Recreation Dancing GIF

mblackwell1002 is back and working on stuff! It is a good day!
Parks And Recreation Dancing GIF
Man it’s been so long since i’ve worked on prop stuff, I went and got into other hobbies, and i’m glad i did...but it’s good to be back into this stuff. Don’t get me wrong, i never went cold turkey, still made a couple small foam and 3d print projects here and there but nothing crazy.

Update!

Parts have been printed and more sanding has been done.
9867BFD3-FA4E-41C4-881B-0C83ACC14935.jpegC297C483-336D-49D6-800B-7EC518347579.jpeg
and, i re-made some parts that i didn’t like with some additional detailing. Namely, the side wing/panel.
FA44871F-537B-4A3F-8F45-B09BA9E6775B.jpegC66DED12-502E-46D8-BBE1-50F5C0F0A0E8.jpegCA3D1EE7-5DF4-47D2-94B4-35C605D23642.jpeg
primer is a wonderful thing. Still some TLC to do for gap filling but i’m glad i didn’t stick with the 3d printed version in the first picture.

Did some mock-up assembly, and i have to say, i’m really happy with how it’s shaping up.
611ACD24-57E0-4285-B8AD-D9E8D0D5FF76.jpeg

Lots of work to go but i’m excited. Thanks for looking!

Been reliving some of our fun times actually. I revisited our booth build, been going over the thread adding details about how we built it. Also thinking about seeing if Dave & Busters will have us back for Halloween time! :)

But, no the video did not work unfortunately. I have not used the forums video upload. I've only uploaded to YouTube and pasted the link.

Been reliving some of our fun times actually. I revisited our booth build, been going over the thread adding details about how we built it. Also thinking about seeing if Dave & Busters will have us back for Halloween time! :)

But, no the video did not work unfortunately. I have not used the forums video upload. I've only uploaded to YouTube and pasted the link.
Dang, I forgot about the booth build! A really cool project for sure. I’ll have to build a suit sometime and hang out come con season.

You going to Grit City Comic Show? Tickets are only $5, but I'd cover it if you hang around the booth and tell people about your crafting adventures..

You going to Grit City Comic Show? Tickets are only $5, but I'd cover it if you hang around the booth and tell people about your crafting adventures..
$5 ain't bad at all. I'll be down in Portland on the 8th for a concert but if I can make it back up in time for the convention I'll definitely come and hang out.

Haven't worked on this much as of late. The bucket looks way too big on me though. I was in denial at first...

But yeah, it's too big. I admit I made a huge mistake continuing to work on it, as it is ginormous! But here we are. I still want to do a full suit, so I'm going to use this as an..."opportunity" to make revisions and redesign the thing. It already has some problems with fastening the face to the helmet, so this is a great way for me to look at this one as a prototype and learn from my bad decisions, lol.

Anyways, I did a quick paint-up with the facepiece, mostly because I was bored and looking for motivation after deciding to start back from scratch!
dude face.jpg
Not 100% happy with the colors but it does look about like I wanted. I've been watching some professional model makers paint large Gundam busts on YT, the attention to detail those guys have on their paintjobs is insane! I'd like to try out some of their techniques on my next iteration.

I'll keep posting updates as that progresses.

Thanks for looking!

If you need some inspiration...there is a remake of the first Game in the working right now.
And i’m loving how it’s looking! Super excited to play that! I’ve seen a bit about it and i’m definitely drawing some inspiration from that. If i could build a suit before that game comes out, i’ll be ecstatic.

Love the model, it's looking great! Looking forward to seeing the final result; I've run across a couple Dead Space cosplays at Dragoncon and they are always so cool to see.

Agree with the sentiment that someone posted earlier in that there are surprisingly few Dead Space cosplays, especially given that the R.I.G. is such an aesthetically pleasing design and theres a lot of versatility that can be brought to it!

Your models look super clean and I'm eager to see more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back