The Force Awakens Stormtrooper Armor Build [WIP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
After finishing the helmet, I set it on the shelf and moved on. I want to have a few more pieces finished before moving into resin coating, so that I can make progress on several at the same time. While one is drying, coat a second piece, then coat a third while both 1 and 2 are drying, etc. -- seems most efficient. So, I moved on to the chest. I think I did the Master Chief suit pieces in the same order. Creature of habit.

Before any building or printing of pieces, you MUST figure out scale. The Master Chief suit was relatively easy to scale. There are literally thousands of image references that work perfectly for scaling; it's a dream. With this suit, there are basically zero full-body, straight on shots of the full suit. There are a few of the group of dudes wearing the Ep 7 ST on stage, but they aren't perfectly straight on. Nevertheless, I used one of those images to scale the helmet, and to try to scale the suit to myself. I printed out a picture of one of those guys, and measured from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet, in millimeters. Then, I figured out my own height in cm. With those two figures, I could measure any piece of his armor vertically in mm, and using the ratio of that piece to the guy's full height, I could figure out how tall the piece should be for myself. and enter that into pepakura.

It all seemed so airtight until I was about three quarters of the way through cutting out the pieces of the chest.

I got to one of the arm cuffs, and realized I might have made a mistake -- the piece just seemed too small. I put it over my arm, and sure enough, it wouldn't fit all the way into the shoulder like it should. I know that could be fixed by removing some material after hardening, but I want the damn thing to be scaled correctly. I had to figure out a more precise method. And I had to throw away hours worth of work...

ArUrN1a.jpg

I noticed that the files came with one that was all of the pieces of the armor together. It seemed like the best way to get accurate measurements of how big the pieces should be would be to use a screencap of that in conjunction with a straight-on shot of myself. That way, I would be able to eyeball better measurements using a figure that I was familiar with: me. I blurred out the background image to avoid any internet weirdness, but this is the general idea. I'm interested in feedback for anyone that's done scaling this way before -- what have your experiences been like?

WH8UHyw.jpg

I printed out the arm cuff piece first, and sure enough, it fit over my shoulder. I took this to mean that I sorted out the scaling issue, and I've been charging forward on the chest piece. (In the files, it's actually called the back, and there's another piece called 'chest' that attaches to the front only. I'm calling it the chest anyways.) Fair warning: this pep file is not the same superb quality or detail as the helmet. There are enormous single pieces, and some of the number spacing flat out does not match from one piece to the next. In this example, the actual perfect alignment point is between 772 and 64. By 774, the pieces are way out of alignment, even though they are both solid pieces. Both are printed at the same scale/same time, and they are on the back of the chest, so they are not supposed to bend significantly enough to justify the difference in spacing. The hack job on the top of this piece was the result of several failed attempts to remove enough material to allow the two to lay flat. I'll just fix that butchery during/after hardening.

mTYUj1Q.jpg

There are several instances of this crummy alignment across the larger panels of the chest. While it's annoying and can confound the symmetry of your piece, I am getting around it by gluing pieces together with only one or two tabs, and checking spacing as I go. When I find discrepancies, I use the tip of the hot glue gun to re-heat the glued tabs, remove the piece, and cut down whatever I need to. It's time consuming, but it's well worth whatever time I'll save in finishing.

1qL0jZk.jpg

Chest Detail

nifHbU9.jpg

Yay, a paper sports bra.

I'll be away for a bit, but will resume after the holidays!

Attachments

• ArUrN1a.jpg
    ArUrN1a.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 273
  • nifHbU9.jpg
    nifHbU9.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 1qL0jZk.jpg
    1qL0jZk.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 303
  • mTYUj1Q.jpg
    mTYUj1Q.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 263
  • WH8UHyw.jpg
    WH8UHyw.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 287
Hey if you need any help with plans or building tips I'm sure me and the 501st leigon can help you. We have files on every trooper, clone, sith, or anything Star Wars related. I have seen some members compleate a build like your doing. And they are always on. But also if you finish it you might be able to join the leigon in your local squad ((I.e Great Lakes Garrison for Michigan)). Here's the link to the offical website http://www.501st.com/index.php
and the link to the registration requirements if you want to join here http://www.501st.com/databank/TK_-_First_Order

good luck M8

Hey if you need any help with plans or building tips I'm sure me and the 501st leigon can help you. We have files on every trooper, clone, sith, or anything Star Wars related. I have seen some members compleate a build like your doing. And they are always on. But also if you finish it you might be able to join the leigon in your local squad ((I.e Great Lakes Garrison for Michigan)). Here's the link to the offical website http://www.501st.com/index.php
and the link to the registration requirements if you want to join here http://www.501st.com/databank/TK_-_First_Order

good luck M8

Thanks very much for this info! The pep process probably doesn't meet the qualification requirements since I'm not using white fiberglass (or casting, for that matter), but I know I will use the images and descriptions from that page to help with the details on the build. That is incredibly helpful, thank you so much!

While there are not many pep armors in the leigon there are a few. What I did when I built Chief before going to 501st was do pep, then fiberglass it on top with a water proof resin. And no problem David, always glad to help a fellow Stormtrooper out.

Finishing up the cutting portion of the ab plate. There are a lot of annoying pieces in this pep, but nothing that looks too difficult or ridiculous. I am a little bit concerned about the way that some of the scoring and cutting lines align on the pep files, particularly in some cases, lines appear broken on the pieces. For example, for the two recessed arches on the wearer's right (looker's left), the inner lines look straight on the model, but are just .. broken in places on the actual piece:

gPrA7tm.jpg

I decided to just cut the lines as they exist (broken), and figure it out afterwards. There will be enough material with the tabs that I will be able to remove material if I need to. I'll update this post if I could have just cut them straight.

17 pages of cutting later, I'm ready to start scoring and gluing!

...tomorrow.

Attachments

• gPrA7tm.jpg
    gPrA7tm.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 350
So daviduffy, what have you got done so far? And also great job with the build so far. I did some reserch for you and found out how many first order Stormtroopers there were. Tthe only number I found was 117 on December 18, 2015. Assuming since armor production is slow, that would be about 1000. So you are in an elite club sir. But that number will grow within a years time to maybe 5000...depends on how many people build it. But take pride in knowing you are one of 1000 people building or have compleated a first order Stormtrooper.

Dang Mark117, thanks for letting me know that! I noticed a ton of interest in my TFA First Order Trooper armor post on therpf right after the film was released, but I never thought I would be within the first 1000 people to make the armor. I think I'm going to need to turn production up a notch here, perhaps I can be one of the first 500!

Regardless, I will defintely use that info for motivation while I'm working away. Right now I'm on the ab plate, I'm in the scoring/gluing process at the moment. I'll probably work on it tonight and get a post in later!

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!

I looked at the Anovos helmet. It's nice, but I just don't think I would feel good about buying the armor. I'd rather know that I made every piece. The reference images are a great help, though!

Alright, ab plate update:

This pep has been strangely difficult to put together. There are a ton of huge pieces, which made me think this would be pretty easy! But ... because of the organic shape of the pep, all of the piece have to bend ever so slightly, and the tabs don't align correctly 100% of the time. I have come to find that these peps aren't as perfect as the helmet was, so there are instances where some improvisations is necessary. For example, the two recesses in the chest didn't fit all that well, so I had to clear out some material between the tabs.

7IdLYe6.jpg

I decided to put the entire top portion together, and the entire bottom portion (minus the lower band) together, and then mate the two. This worked out pretty well, although I needed a little platform to put the upper half on while I glued the two together. I went around the entire top/bottom portion, gluing one tab on each piece, until I had it aligned correctly and tacked-together. Afterwards, I went back through and secured the remaining tabs with a tiny bit of glue. Here are those two, joined together (the lower band part has yet to be attached).

FIywxp2.jpg

The panel that covers the gap in the back of the ab plate is ... really interesting. I will say this for anyone who builds this after me: do not assume that it is 100% flat or straight. Not only is it rounded along the x-axis, it bends in at the top and out at the bottom on the y-axis. Keep that in mind while gluing it together! I had to take the dang thing apart the first time because once I was finished with the middle portion, because the side trim pieces (which show the intended contour of the piece) did not fit without bending. It still isn't perfect, so I will probably have to fix this in or after the fiberglass stage.

KJTfSOz.jpg

I'll post a picture of the entire ab plate when it's finished. I'm probably going to have to throw some bracing into both this and the back cover pieces in order to get them to sit in the right positions for when I resin the outsides of them. But, the good thing is: I have enough pieces to start working on resin! I'll get to that soon, hopefully. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• KJTfSOz.jpg
    KJTfSOz.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 218
  • FIywxp2.jpg
    FIywxp2.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 7IdLYe6.jpg
    7IdLYe6.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 208
Marawuff your right about the helmet quality not being that good, that's why most 501st troopers by the kit and assemble it themselves. So if there is anything wrong with it they can fix it then and not find out later on. And David great job so far. You should test the peices before hardening so they fit your body shape. That way you don't spend another month redoing a section.

Finished with the ab plate pep. I am glad to have a few pieces finished up and ready to harden! I think the actual ab plate portion (the part that wraps around your torso) turned out great! I have to be honest though, I'm not particularly happy with the way that the back plate came out. I'm not sure if it was a really difficult model to unfold and therefore the unfold was a little bit off, or just poor work on my part (I assume the latter), but I will certainly have extra work there to get it to an acceptable level of finish. It doesn't bother me enough to make me want to re-make that part, but I am a little disappointed.

Over on my therpf thread, I got a little bit of pre-print pep advice from one of the users that might help when working on some of these large pieces that have weird contours. Armed with a new workflow that surfaces additional scoring lines, I think I'll have better luck on these pieces going forward.

Front
1aTdiSQ.jpg

Back (with plate temporarily in place for the picture)
2YJeuv4.jpg

Attachments

• 1aTdiSQ.jpg
    1aTdiSQ.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 2YJeuv4.jpg
    2YJeuv4.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 189
Awesome! I'm so excited for you. I would love to have a trooper costume!! Looks like you're doing really good on the pep work, especially considering how odd the unfold is. My little brothers are working on this too and they are not able to adjust like you are. Is the pre-print step you got advised on to change the degree at which fold lines print? I've often thought about messing with that, but I am too nervous of messing up the final result.

Well, just hit a big snag in the process. I want to put together the shoulders next, to continue my top-down build process. Scaling each previous piece has been really easy, because each of them has been a single piece which I could scale by the vertical height of the piece. However, the shoulders and hand plates are in the same file, so my previous scaling technique will be rendered useless!

ZeWDI6m.png

I have scaled these pieces to 101.5% of their file-open dimensions (not scale factor percentage), because that is the average change I have made to each of the previous two files from the same set of unfolds. You can see the final dimensions in millimeters in my scaling spreadsheet. Ultimately, I don't agree with the decision to collect all of these pieces into a single .pdo file, simply because the user's hands and shoulders may need to be scaled individually.

Do not want!

Attachments

• ZeWDI6m.png
    ZeWDI6m.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 189
However, the shoulders and hand plates are in the same file, so my previous scaling technique will be rendered useless!
!

Can you not just scale one and ignore the other? And then only print the pages that contain the pieces you need? I understand that when you go to scale the smaller piece, probably the hand plates, you won't be able to just input your desired "height" and blamo. But, you can input random numbers for the scale and then use the 'measure distance' feature to see if the handpates come out to the height you wanted. I feel like I'm making sense, but I'm terribly wrong often. :)

Damn, I was thinking of doing Stormtrooper few times...
I keep wondering, will you be able to fit and assemble the stomach/chest piece when it's hardened? O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back