Props Thom's Reach Combat Knife (Wood Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
More than likely, I will just stick with wood, unless I can get my hands on some pvc or some polyurethane. I did like your idea, but like you said, mine is a little simpler. In my experience, the more complex you make something, the more likely it is to fail. :)

I agree, the more complicated you make it the easier it is for it to fail and I make some complex props.

It looks awsome dude. Can't wait for Thanksgiving, I'm going to stab u with it and give you one hell of a splinter. Then as you lay there and die slowly from the infection I will leave with the knife and take it home with me. I would't really do that. But I would love to get my hands on that knife. Keep up the good work buddy. cant wait to see it in person.

Lol wow. I'll have to make a note to hide it before you come down. :D

Thanks for the compliment though, and if you're good, I might make you one.

If you were to mold it you could implant to tiny magnets on either side of the sheath corresponding to where the knife would hit and add two magnets there too, it would be just a matter of pulling it and no switch!

I stated the same but he seems to be worried about the paint job which I deffenetly understand

well you could invest in a thin layer of foamies to add to where it hits which could ultimately save the painting on it.

I do really like the idea of magnets, but like I said, i am worried that extensive drawing would scrape paint off. One idea, I am kicking around is after making a cast, and before I join to two halves of the sheath, I would add a felt liner. Some swordsmiths add this into their scabbards to polish the blade every time it is drawn and re sheathed. I could then place the magnets between the plastic and felt in some indention's in the plastic. I think that could work. :)

Thanks for the input guys.

why not just stain the wood it's more effective then paint. atleast stain the blade then paint the handle for more detailed design.

Wow, Carty, that is truly incredible. I tried making something like this out of foam, but it really did not work out, I love the effort you put in ;D
If you do get around to making casts, how much would you be selling them for? I'd love one of these babies... or two, one on each side of the chest for two-hand ninja attacks!

This one, I'm actually painting now. I'm going to make another one and I may make some cast of the new one. I learned a lot from making this one, and there are some things that I would like to do differently. The new one will look better I think. Anyway, if I do get around to making casts, I will shoot you a pm Swift. :)

i m pretty sure tht the knife would count as a LETHAL WEAPON

I suppose it could be considered that, but with that said, you could kill someone with a pencil, and look at all the martial artists who have to register themselves as deadly weapons. It's all in how you present yourself with it and don't go drawing it on people and waving it around in a room full of people lol.

Also, if I make casts, they will come with a false edge, so if they are sharped, it wouldn't be my doing. :)

I am almost finished with the painting of this thing, and I will have some more pics up soon. Thanks again for everyone's encouraging words.

why haven't i been keeping up with this thread more, looks bloody way better than when i fist looked at it, and it was perfect then, you sir are amazing. cant wait to see what else you can do

lol, well thanks Kaze. I have a few more things up my sleeze, it's just a matter of finding the time. I'm almost ready to post a thread of my next project, but I want to get my knife painted first.

Alright, time for an update. I'm almost finished with the painting of this thing, just a few minor touches left, like the UNSC logos and 'dirtying' up the rivets and buttons. The blade also needs a couple more coats of paint. My internet was not cooperating this morning and it took me nearly an hour just to upload these four photos lol. Anyway, here it is with paint. :)

F12.jpg

F1.jpg

F13.jpg

F14.jpg

I will post more pics tonight after it is fully complete. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• F12.jpg
    F12.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 177
  • F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 183
  • F13.jpg
    F13.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 163
  • F14.jpg
    F14.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 165
tmccarty23,

That is just plain bad @ss... very well executed and super nice results!
That is definitely nice man!

Cujo3131

tmccarty23,

Haven't painted it yet... the shoulders, shins, and the MA5c are just the raw foam... EVA is grey and the details and things are just different color craft foams that I could find locally. I am going to be trying some stuff after the holidays called Stryospray 1000 that is a EPS foam sealer that can be rolled on or sprayed in multicoats that supposedly gets as hard as fiberglass... but no messing with resin or glass cloth. Also supposed to be paintable with any type paint. I'll keep you posted on how well that stuff turns out and how well it paints up...

Again... the knife is exceptionally nice.... you did a super job on that my friend....

Cujo3131

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back