Tutorial: Install & Detail your visor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the problem (is for me) the file kept wanting to go in the direction of the slanted teeth of the file (not sure if thats what they are called). But there may be a certain technique needed in order for someone to do it successfully that I have yet to master. I still have the scrap piece, it may be beneficial if I post a pic of it, so you can see what I mean.

Correction: I did it free hand (No tape to guide). Maybe this would make it work. I had to think about it for a second. Sorry.

The visor I ordered hopefully has some excess so that I can trim it off and practice/experiment on scrap pieces. My sisters have a glass-etching compound that I might test to see if it works. I'll definitely post my results either here or in my WIP thread.

@ BlueSol, No problem man. Good luck on your build, Its looking good!

The visor I ordered hopefully has some excess so that I can trim it off and practice/experiment on scrap pieces. My sisters have a glass-etching compound that I might test to see if it works. I'll definitely post my results either here or in my WIP thread.

If your results work, I wouldn't mind it at all if you posted your pictures here. I can update my tutorial with a note to please refer to page XX for alternate method of etching the visor. I think its good to have a bunch of different ways. It's how we all learn together. Thank you! :)

Hey, I hope you don't mind more stupid questions, but I was wondering where you got the Magic Sculpt? Can I find epoxy putties at Wal-Mart, or do I have to head to specialty stores like JoAnn fabrics or something? I looked online and can't find who sells it locally.

Hey, I hope you don't mind more stupid questions, but I was wondering where you got the Magic Sculpt? Can I find epoxy putties at Wal-Mart, or do I have to head to specialty stores like JoAnn fabrics or something? I looked online and can't find who sells it locally.

No problem. & yes, you can get putties locally (Two Part Epoxy Putty). Try Michaels (if you have one) thats were I get the mighty putty. Or, try homedepot or lowes, I've seen two part epoxy putties there too, it should be around the adhesives & bondo/resins area. Or, if that does not work try to find a local fiberglass & coatings distributor or boat materials (Manufacturing) supplier around you. The last one may be difficult for you, I live in FL and use a company called FGCI (I bought a gallon of polyester resin for 17.99). However, the magic skulpt will nee to be special ordered. Thats what I had to do. I used Amazon to get the magic skulpt. Sorry for getting back to you so late, My internet is down at home. Hopefully that helped.

P.S. Difference btwn the two part epoxy putty and epoxy clay(magic sculpt) is the cure times & firmness. Magic sculpt takes longer (45-1hr wrk time and fully cures over night) and is softer when sulpting (gets rock hard once cured). Mighty Putty = 5min wrk time & fully cures overnight

No problem. & yes, you can get putties locally (Two Part Epoxy Putty). Try Michaels (if you have one) thats were I get the mighty putty. Or, try homedepot or lowes, I've seen two part epoxy putties there too, it should be around the adhesives & bondo/resins area. Or, if that does not work try to find a local fiberglass & coatings distributor or boat materials (Manufacturing) supplier around you. The last one may be difficult for you, I live in FL and use a company called FGCI (I bought a gallon of polyester resin for 17.99). However, the magic skulpt will nee to be special ordered. Thats what I had to do. I used Amazon to get the magic skulpt. Sorry for getting back to you so late, My internet is down at home. Hopefully that helped.

P.S. Difference btwn the two part epoxy putty and epoxy clay(magic sculpt) is the cure times & firmness. Magic sculpt takes longer (45-1hr wrk time and fully cures over night) and is softer when sulpting (gets rock hard once cured). Mighty Putty = 5min wrk time & fully cures overnight

i was just logging on to ask you if you might know somewhere that sold it locally, but spitfire beat me to it. also thanks for explaining the difference between the putty and the clay

james.

Glad I could help. I love the stuff. I may try some new epoxy putty that I found at FGCI. Cheaper per ounce than mighty putty.

Alternate Visor Mounting Method

Alternate method of mounting the visor courtesy of Spitfire22V

I wanted to add these photos as a supplement and alternate method of mounting the removable visor. I thought Spitfire did a great job on this and wanted people to see variations of the general Idea. Anyways here you go.

1. Create your Mounting Brackets using Plywood & 4-40 blind nuts (Hopefully I got the terms right)

MountingBracketsPlywood4-40Blindnuts.jpg

2. Second mount to the inside of the helmet using glue & epoxy putty.

Brracketsinstall.jpg

Final Visor Mounted

IMG_4504-1.jpg

Thank you Spitfire for allowing me to use these great photos!

Thank everyone else for viewing my tutorial!

Very cool, and I'm flattered that you included my photos into your tutorial!

Just some more notes on my variation of the method:
1. Obviously, the size of the blind nuts isn't super important; I have a lot of 4-40 sized hardware as it tends to be the most popular in the RC airplane world. I'm sure smaller sizes would work, but I wouldn't go bigger.

2. Since I glued the brackets in first, then put the putty around them for reinforcement, I had to make sure the surface was correct to have the bracket at the angle I needed. This involved either grinding the helmet on the inside, or beveling the bracket, or both. Each bracket is individually fitted for best results.

Again, thanks for including my work in this incredibly helpful tutorial!

My idea is quite similar, i used it on mine
for the visor/hud details i used sharpie:)
and instead of clay to smooth the gap i used caulking! haha nice tut!

Hey, I really enjoyed reading this tutorial!
I just thought that I would share my own technique for detailing visors.
Here's what I use:
HJC HJ-11 gold reflective visor
and
Foam stickies (foamies)

5572880687_c807e8eca9.jpg

I begin by designing and cutting out a template for the visor. Using reference, I draw half of the desired etching, fold the paper in half, and cut, so that I get a symmetrical template.

5573467988_4e1d621a0e.jpg

Top one will be the top half of the etching, and the bottom serves as the whole outline, since on the Noble 6 helmet, there are two segments of the visor detail.

Then, I place the template on a foamie, and cut along the template with an exacto knife.

After cutting out the shape, I stick both parts on the visor, like so.

5572881437_2c34f2c5ba.jpg

Using the cone shaped dremel bit that looks kind of like this, just a whole lot smaller:
r00148v1.jpg

I steadily trace along the gap on the foamie, and sometimes I will use a metal ruler to guide my dremel tool along the path. If done with precision and patience, you end up with something like this:

5528456598_c33a6451c3.jpg

5528455518_2e57436d5f.jpg

Awesome, Awesome Idea Sir Tsaboc. I was wondering how you got such precise lines. Thanks for sharing this. I will add this as an alternate detail method with a note to refer to this page for reference.

That would be great!
Your technique of filling in the gaps with epoxy putty are a life saver. I've been searching for a good material to fill in the gaps in my helmet forever! Now I know

Alrighty then.....

Seems my post dissappeared.....

Anyway... Nice work Sir Tsaboc. Nice idea and very clean look. Visor looks awesome... Thanks for sharing the idea!

Cujo3131

That would be great!
Your technique of filling in the gaps with epoxy putty are a life saver. I've been searching for a good material to fill in the gaps in my helmet forever! Now I know

Glad I could help. I like thinking I have given something back. Considering I've learned so much from everyone else here on the 405th.

Great tutorials here. This just inspires n00bs like me so much more. Thanks for sharing you're awesome skills with the rest of us.

**Example** (Spitfire22V's Detailed Visor)

Mapped out the detail by taping visor off and scratched reflective surface off to simulate double layer effect.

Helmetdetail.jpg

Finished and installed visor

IMG_4514.jpg

Thanks for letting me use your pictures!

Awesome ideas you guys! Thanks alot for posting them. I like the foamies idea by Sir Tsaboc alot too. I can't wait to try it on my CQB helmet. Thanks BLACKULA for starting this thread. It has already given me a ton of info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back