U513's Halo Reach Carter Build - Finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

U513

Jr Member
Been wanting to do this for a while now so here i am. Bought my first ever glue gun a few days ago along with a load of other tools and materials lol I am a pretty quick study but i have never done anything like this before. Never built a model before in my life so go easy ;)

Here is the progress so far. Been using L3x's and Ruzes pep files for the base. Thanks to them and drack and his foam tutorials. Also, saw a video of a Roxy doing her suit so thanks you guys. Very helpful.

Finished

It is finished, its over, it has been 13 months of cutting, gluing, burning my legs (yes, i wear boardshorts all the time) and fingers as well as cutting my fingers. For anyone who has built any part will appreciate how much time is invested in this project over the past year and a bit. Its been an amazing journey, I never thought i would be able to finish a project such as this as it was SUCH a massive undertaking.

That's where the 405th and its community members have been amazing. First of all, L3X and Ruze who supplied the files and the amazing database that is kept at the 405th has been very helpful and thanks to everyone who has contributed to that regardless of me using their files or not. It takes a lot of time and effort. To those who have left comments; you may not realize this but even a single post expressing joy at what you have seen has kept me motivated to get this build complete. I hope people haven't been disappointed with the updates i have posted and this build hasn't culminated into a let down. There have been a few of you who have been here for a long time and kept me going. You guys know who you are! and i am very thankful! I hope everyone has taken something away from the way i have done things and as always, i will be on hand to take the time to explain things. It is the least i can do. Im so excited. its the first time i am going to actually do Halloween!! Cant wait for the 31st.

Once again, thanks to everyone who joined me on this journey. It has been an amazing one. To those who have just started their builds, keep at it, getting your suit finished is one of the best feelings in the world. as i have mentioned before, its a bit of a sad moment too, i don't know what i am going to do with all the free time i now have!

here are the photos of the suit. I have yet to finalize the weapons and will post updates once they are done as well as my halo-ween shenanigans

i have an ear to ear smile as i post this.

Halo-ween

So had a great Halo-ween! Just thought i'd share some pictures with you guys of me wearing the suit with a proper black undersuit!

doing the roboto (has to be done)

IMG-20131101-WA0006_zpsa4d8f5b6.jpg

Played some crazy golf, damn that was hot work!

IMG-20131101-WA0013_zpsab58006e.jpg

Did a quick pose with the DMR before I left

P1100009_zps0daca583.jpg

Pretend killed a few people with my hybrid energy sword

IMG-20131102-WA0068_zpsbd140663.jpg

IMG-20131102-WA0054_zps4614b974.jpg

IMG-20131102-WA0028_zpsa6da6301.jpg

which by the way also doubles up as a brilliant air guitar

IMG-20131102-WA0040_zps0579c620.jpg

Also posed for a lot of photos

IMG-20131102-WA0045_zpsd2423944.jpg

IMG-20131102-WA0046_zps89c16266.jpg

IMG-20131102-WA0001_zps4c9ac767.jpg

IMG-20131102-WA0010_zps5c138843.jpg

IMG-20131102-WA0022_zps83898764.jpg

HI 5's all round

IMG-20131102-WA0003_zps83d0b817.jpg

needless to say it got a LOT OF attention wherever I went!

Brilliant experience!

more photos of the suit on page 18

Yay first comment :D Well welcome and damn thats a pretty good start.

How long did u research to make this possible if i may ask? and your foam skills are pretty good :)

Would like to see more!

Thanks mate. I'd like to say you win something for the first comment but i cant :( i guess the satidfaction will have to do!

I have been hovering around for a good year now just looking at stuff and learning various bits and reading up here and there. Couldnt dedicate any time to this until now due to studies but now that they are done and i have a job i needed a creative outlet as an Engineering Career has ZERO accomodation for creativity.

I have done various other projects like painting a Batman feature wall in my room etc but nothing like this. This is going to take a long time ot complete.

Thanks mate. I'd like to say you win something for the first comment but i cant :( i guess the satidfaction will have to do!

I have been hovering around for a good year now just looking at stuff and learning various bits and reading up here and there. Couldnt dedicate any time to this until now due to studies but now that they are done and i have a job i needed a creative outlet as an Engineering Career has ZERO accomodation for creativity.

I have done various other projects like painting a Batman feature wall in my room etc but nothing like this. This is going to take a long time ot complete.

Yes more than enough :D

Well feel free to ask me if u have quick questions bout pepakura / rondo bondo resin etc . i see its foam but mybe u will do a part out of pep :)

Apolgies to all for not replying sooner. Had a couple of night shift on the railway tracks yesterday and this morning and had no access to internet as i was in the middle of nowhere :)

let me first say, Welcome to the 405th
Looking good my friend cant wait to see more

Looking good! Good luck with the rest of your build!

Thanks guys, ill try and get some more work done on it soon :)

Yes more than enough :D

Well feel free to ask me if u have quick questions bout pepakura / rondo bondo resin etc . i see its foam but mybe u will do a part out of pep :)

Lol glad to hear that! I will do, i am still unsure if i should make the helmet out of foam or card. Im leaning towards card as its thinner and will help reduce the overall size of the helmet body however, it would require padding which would beef it up. Wouldnt have that problem with foam.

Will chase you up on your offer if needed. Id offer you help as well but i dont know what i would say. I have little to no experience lol

Just finished the right forearm.

One thing i have been thinking about a lot is that everyone has like a very smooth/clean texture to the armour but the armour finish in the games just isnt like that. So, what i plan on doing is to cover the forearm card with a very thin layer of hot melt glue and then use the hot nozzle to to move it around and give it texture on which i can then paint.

you can sort of see the texture in the blue square close to the elbow.

Anyway, finished forearm photos. Let me know if you think i should add anything else to it :) or tips on improving my detailing work :)

next update will be in a few days time. I will complete the other forearm and the screen attachment and have the photos posted here. Have another nightshift on friday night/saturday morning so i will see what i can get done :)

Couldnt help myself and got working so i could finish the forearms before work tonight so i could have the rest of the weekend off from everything.

Built the arm attachment with my phone incorporated. Its a bit big due to the size of the phone :( but everything work, volume button, lock screen etc. I take it out from a flap above the red bit :D

Next, time to work on the biceps.

Using your iPhone in your armor... Now THAT is very creative and something I can salute! Your build is looking awesome, can't wait to see it finished!

Using your iPhone in your armor... Now THAT is very creative and something I can salute! Your build is looking awesome, can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks mate, Your comment is much appreciated :).

I have been working on the left bicep today and have finished the base; ill try and complete both biceps and detail work by the end of next week (21st oct). Not hapy witheh the glue leakeage but since its a base it doesnt really matter :) made a lot of mistakes so second one should be easier and quicker.

I wish i had some free time sooner as i would have loved to have had this ready for the release date of halo 4

So, didnt get much work done over the weekend must admit. However, one of the biceps is finished. Will try and find some time to finish the other one off soon as well

Meanwhile right forearm and bicep

Right bicep with the smooth foam finish (which will be destroyed for texture)

a different angle

and the two biceps side to side

looking forward to doing the shoulder pieces!

OK, so it has been a while since i lasted posted here however that has nothing to do with progress. I have been quite busy recently and havent had much time to visit the forums/wanted to switch the pc on!

Progress update:

Forearms finished

Biceps Finished

Right shoulder attachment finished

Left shoulder attachemnt requires minor detail work

60% work done on the Torso.

Enjoy the pictures

Torso

Right Shoulder & Left shoulder

Everything so far

I am very pleased with the way the torso is coming along so far. My biggest fear was for it to be non symmetrical and messy joints but it has turned out quite nice. Looking forward to getting the rest of the armour done and then starting work on the finshing details that would customize it to my spec. I intend t have two knifes, one or two wxrea pouches and will try and print of little warning stickers dotted all over the armour.

Welcome to the 405th! that chest and gauntlets are looking nice! ! High detail with foamies is an art in itself. I recommend using Alex Plus silicone caulk to fill in gaps in the foam. It gives it a nice clean edge and it looks super nice when you plasti-dip it. Most of all , it's paint-able! Keep it up!

awesome foam work.. cant wait to see the completed suit

looks great, keep up the good work.

Welcome to the 405th! that chest and gauntlets are looking nice! ! High detail with foamies is an art in itself. I recommend using Alex Plus silicone caulk to fill in gaps in the foam. It gives it a nice clean edge and it looks super nice when you plasti-dip it. Most of all , it's paint-able! Keep it up!

Thanks guys. Always nice to hear positive things when so much time and effort has gone into this project so far. It is much appreciated!

I saw the use of the bathroom sealent/silicon sealant and was intrigued by it. My only worry was that it might react with the foam but since it doesnt, i will defo be using it to get those crisp lines. I will try and get more work on the back done today and hopefully have the torso finished by friday so i can start work on the attachment pieces and the COD piece.

Mind you, halo 4 comes out tomorrow so... it might be difficult to fit everything in lol Anyway, back to work :D Watch this space :D

Looks awesome! Good job especially on the details! Looks like you're using the same forearm file as I did L3X's forearm stencil? I didn't go with the second version because I just wanted a base template so I can add detail with the craft foam like what you're doing. I was wondering a way to get everything shaped for detail, I may try what you have done.

Looking really good buddy, love all the detail you've added with the foamies!

I saw the use of the bathroom sealent/silicon sealant and was intrigued by it. My only worry was that it might react

I use sealer on my build and it does work really well and with out any drama so it's the best idea to go with I'd say.

Overall it's looking sweet so keep up the good work!

~mike

Looks awesome! Good job especially on the details! Looks like you're using the same forearm file as I did L3X's forearm stencil? I didn't go with the second version because I just wanted a base template so I can add detail with the craft foam like what you're doing. I was wondering a way to get everything shaped for detail, I may try what you have done.

Thanks, i made a promise to myself that i would take my time building th suit and not rush it. I think that is the main reason why i have been able to do a good amount of detail. I also have a 5ft poster of carters full body pose to my right so i always look at that for detail work as well which helps a lot.

I did indeed use L3X's pep files for the base. I then covered it all up using foamies and then added further detail. I covered it all up mainly to hide the joints. Just remember to take your time with the detail and if it doesnt look right dont glue it. If you cant get it right and its taking ages then just rest up for a day or two :)

Looking really good buddy, love all the detail you've added with the foamies!

I use sealer on my build and it does work really well and with out any drama so it's the best idea to go with I'd say.

Overall it's looking sweet so keep up the good work!

~mike

Thanks mate! I am sold on the sealer and will be raiding the garden shed to see if we have some left somewhere or put it on order. Thanks for your postive comments :D Ill put all my gear on today to show you guys the scaling and see what you guys make of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back