Vampy's first cosplay! Youmacon 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampy

Jr Member
Heya! Here is my first cosplay ever! I based it on some Pepakura files I found on this site! I started mid-October and was finished for Youmacon X (October 31-Nov 2, Detroit, MI). I used primarily 110 lb card stock, Smooth-cast XTC-3D and Smooth-cast 65D.

The construction went pretty fast because I borrowed a Silhouette Cameo to do all the cutting for me :) The biggest problem I had by far was the spray paint... it 100% dissolved my Smooth Cast 35D, not sure how or why that happened... but as a result I had to recast all my pieces the night before the convention! Yipes!

I didn't get many pictures myself, but hopefully I find some posted around the Youmacon Facebook and forums in the next week or so. Please note that I made no effort to clean things up or detail them as I had less than three weeks to start and complete my first cosplay :)

I hope you enjoy the result as much as I did. I had pictures taken constantly, so much fun!

I went to the Rave in my first pic here :p

Rave Outfit.jpg
shrug.jpg
thumbs up.jpg
victory.jpg

The build quality is decent, but you built it in less than half a month, so I'm absolutely floored. You clearly know what you're doing, think you'll consider going back and improving upon it?

The build quality is decent, but you built it in less than half a month, so I'm absolutely floored. You clearly know what you're doing, think you'll consider going back and improving upon it?

Thanks so much for your nice comment! It means a lot!

Yipes! The built took over half a month but under 3 weeks :p

I did a lot of research and trial and error with a few different methods before I landed on Pepakura (I have a pad of EVA foam, a roll of Wonderflex and another roll of Fosshape to play with next time). I loved doing origami as a kid so this was like the grown-up version!

There are definitely a few improvements that could be made. For example, there was no special ventilation/speech/hearing holes (the gaps in the visor helped *some*), I had no weapon, and the quick rework of all 65D was sloppy.

I tried to use some pieces that I could re-use on future projects such as Condor Outdoors harnesses and a motorcycle suit. The visor isn't even held in by anything other than friction, it just happened to be a close enough fit off the bat, so I could reuse that too.

I'm not sure if I will work to improve this suit or start a new project. I was thinking of a gender-bent Samus Aran or I'll find some other character with a more form-fitting armor.

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my post, and your suit looks great, gotta love the classics :thumbsup
I feel you on the spray paint woes... Been there myself but you recovered well! I love the idea of a gen-ben samus BTW, that's something I'd really wanna see

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my post, and your suit looks great, gotta love the classics :thumbsup
I feel you on the spray paint woes... Been there myself but you recovered well! I love the idea of a gen-ben samus BTW, that's something I'd really wanna see
Thanks dude! I started with a high density Halo 4 forearm and it was taking FOREVER! I then decided to simplify and found the Halo 1 armor files. Then it was smooth sailing.

The nice thing about Samus is her Varia suit is fairly gender neutral. I am not familiar with her Prime suits so I'll be on Google for a little bit to see what's going to be a doable project within my noobness skill level! I'd hate to bite off more than I can chew and get discouraged...

lookes great :thumbsup
Thank you, Noble 10, I have been enjoying following the progress of your build!

I went to a Comic/Pop Culture convention yesterday, Fantasticon, and people liked it too. There was the Detroit Police Spartan too, although I did not think to get his name /ifailed

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a deliberate Combat Evolved mesh-style? Or is it just a quick Pepped-no-Bondo short deadline build?

I always wonder when I see this style whether the builder intended the overt 3D topology or if it's just lack of time to Bondo and sand for weeks on end. I think it's a kinda cool look, like a Minecraft Steve.

very well done for the time you had to work in love the red' hope you had a good time'
It was an amazing learning experience! The red was fun because it definitely stood out.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it a deliberate Combat Evolved mesh-style? Or is it just a quick Pepped-no-Bondo short deadline build?

I always wonder when I see this style whether the builder intended the overt 3D topology or if it's just lack of time to Bondo and sand for weeks on end. I think it's a kinda cool look, like a Minecraft Steve.
It was half due to the time constraint and half because I really liked the way it looked like that!

I have started working on a Halo 3 Mk VI set 2 or 3 nights ago, making decent progress. I have my Pepakura built up for both forearms, and need to glue three pieces to finish the right bicep :)

- - - Updated - - -

Note: i did build up a very high detailed forearm from Halo 4 and it took such a long time compared to the other set. But it was the first piece I assembled so it had a learning curve attached to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back