Ways Of Hardeding Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys im new here

I was wondering if Fiberglassing or The hot glue method were the ONLY way to " Harden " your paper Creations?

[xbl][xbl]ARMYofONE2469[/xbl][/xbl]

You could use Smooth-Cast, or Mud glassing, which is a mixture of fiberglass and bondo. Use the search bar before you start a thread.

Why would you use a Cast on Raw Pepakura? it would bend the folds that does not make sense..

mud glassing the seems more complicated then just fiberglassing.

and BTW thanks for making me feel bad i just started... :(

ARMYofONE2469 said:
Why would you use a Cast on Raw Pepakura? it would bend the folds that does not make sense..

mud glassing the seems more complicated then just fiberglassing.

and BTW thanks for making me feel bad i just started... :(

I don't know, but I've seen someone do it before. And I'm just informing you, we don't like it when people start a thread asking a question that can be answered with a quick search.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, let me see, there are four basic ways to harden and finish armour.

-Resin and Fiberglass

-Hot Glue Method

-Smooth-cast Method

-Rondo Glassing Method(Pour Resin mixed with Bondo to make Rondo into your armour piece. Then add fiberglass to reinforce it)

I have personally used all four ways, and I have to say that Rondo glassing is by FAR, the easiest, fastest, and awesomest way to make armour.

for the tutorials, just look at the stickies (for the first three I pointed out). For the Rondo Glassing tutorual, use the search function, or look in the Pepakura and Cardboard Armour Section of the forum.

If you need any further help, from scaling and printing the armour to finishing it, feel free to PM me any time. I will do my best to answer, and I always have some space in my inbox available.

Good luck, and hope to see some progress soon.

Cheers!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Well, let me see, there are five basic ways to harden and finish armour.

-Resin and Fiberglass

-Hot Glue Method

-Smooth-cast Method

-Rondo Glassing Method(Pour Resin mixed with Bondo to make Rondo into your armour piece. Then add fiberglass to reinforce it)

I have personally used all four ways, and I have to say that Rondo glassing is by FAR, the easiest, fastest, and awesomest way to make armour.

for the tutorials, just look at the stickies (for the first three I pointed out). For the Rondo Glassing tutorual, use the search function, or look in the Pepakura and Cardboard Armour Section of the forum.

If you need any further help, from scaling and printing the armour to finishing it, feel free to PM me any time. I will do my best to answer, and I always have some space in my inbox available.

Good luck, and hope to see some progress soon.

Cheers!

Wow, nice job clarifying what I said. BTW, search 'mud glassing tutorial' if you want to find the video.

So those are the four most popular ways of hardening.. Hmmm...

whats the cheapest way because i still have to buy ODST and fiberglass my ODST helmet. (pic soon)

And you did say that glassing the the easiest way to do it. Thanks for explaining that. :D

Well personally i've found that if you live with a roommate or still live with your parents' as alot of kids still do, the best way for me is the smoothcast method. I'm doing my entire ODST this way, and so far its been a god send. Its quick, easy, and your roomate, or parents, won't be having to deal with the fumes of resin all the time.

Yes i still live with my parents, i just saw the Tutorial on mud glassing and it looks easy and ALOT more HD.

i just need to figure out the pricing of a project like a couple helmets.

You need Resin, Bondo, and fiberglass. Thats it (other then paint and whatnot). To make the Rondo or "Mud", just mix a 1:1 ratio of Resin to Bondo. Remember, ALWAYS wear a resperator, eye protection, and protective gloves.

Good luck!

Something that I have done in the past is I have used a spray laqeuer clear paint to harden the paper I was working with after I made my model it will not hold up to a lot but will harden the paper somewhat about the best you can do with it after laqeuer is as a model for a shelf I doubt it would be good enough for costuming purposes.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
You need Resin, Bondo, and fiberglass. Thats it (other then paint and whatnot). To make the Rondo or "Mud", just mis a 1:1 ratio of Resin to Bondo. Remember, ALWAYA wear a resperator, eye protection, and protective gloves.

Good luck!

Thanks, that helps ALOT but could you direct me in which type of bondo filler to get. like the resin you buy at lowes for like 15$ and cloth for like 5$ and what type or exact name i could go buy please that would be AWHZUM! ;)

Yea, its by 3M. It comes in the red can with a picture of a car on it. Its grey before you add the hardener. If you open it and its the brown kind, its junk. I have tried it, and it was the worst bondo type EVER.

Nintendude said:
Something that I have done in the past is I have used a spray laqeuer clear paint to harden the paper I was working with after I made my model it will not hold up to a lot but will harden the paper somewhat about the best you can do with it after laqeuer is as a model for a shelf I doubt it would be good enough for costuming purposes.

Yeah i think i know what you are talking about because on my second pep i just used red plastic paint.

it seemed to make the paper harder almost like Cardstock but a little Tackier.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Yea, its by 3M. It comes in the red can with a picture of a car on it. Its grey before you add the hardener. If you open it and its the brown kind, its junk. I have tried it, and it was the worst bondo type EVER.

So where can i get this 3M Filler Lowes, Wal-mart, Home Depot, Hobby lobby? :eek

Bondo Automotive Body Filler. You can buy it at Wal-Mart, or any auto supply store like Schucks. I've wandered around Lowes and Home Depot looking for it, with no luck, but it might be available at yours.

Wal-Mart has it most of the time. Lowes, im not sure about. A can of it runs for normally $10.00. As for the other places, I have no clue. I don't think we have those stores in Canada.

Ok now that i am bursting with Armour making knowledge, i have another question.

how many pieces of Armour can you harden with all this stuff. the cloth and resin with filler how long does this last, and how much bang do you get for your buck? thank you for answering all of my newbish questions. :lol

you have made my day and you have contributed 30% of my Armour.

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back