WH40K Foam Board Bolter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fustercluck

Hey 405th!

I just recently decided that I'd make a bolter and I want to make the rest of a Space Marine armor as well but that's another topic for later...

The issue I have now is that I made my bolter out of DOW Foam Board insulation...

BolterHeld.jpg

Bolter1.jpg
[/IMG]

Bolter2.jpg

... so as you can see, aside from some sanding and space filling, I'm all set to prime and paint.

My concern is that I want to strengthen it somehow, resin or something similar, but what can I use that won't eat through my material?

Is there a tried and true process that I need to use?

... so as you can see, aside from some sanding and space filling, I'm all set to prime and paint.

My concern is that I want to strengthen it somehow, resin or something similar, but what can I use that won't eat through my material?

Is there a tried and true process that I need to use?

Really nice clean work. I'm very impressed. It would be great it can shoot rubber balls.

I've read at RPF that someone tried resin foam and they confirmed that resin would not melt foam. From what I could remember, they were referring to EVA foam. Seems that you are using insulation foam. Not sure if resin will eat it. I wouldn't try it for fear that it may release fume that could be toxic than resin. What you could do is to seal the entire gun using Plasti-dip. Works really well.

DO NOT USE THE SPRAY PLASTI_DIP! It will melt your foam! The propellants will eat it! Use either the brush on or,paint the whole gun with elmers glue (two coats),then you can plasti-dip like crazy. good luck and great build!

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm doing a bit of research on plasti-dip and it seems like once I coat it, it will still be soft and flexible. If I use plasti-dip, should I go back over it in resin to protect it or at that point am I going to start adding to much bulk to the gun? :/

I know they have some kind of rubber spray that they use on foam, Sign shops use itto strengthen the foam letters that they use for signs, im not sure what it is called but it does exist probably search google or something, But the gun looks great

I know this doesn't directly answer the question, but can you just make a mold of your bolter and then cast it in a stronger material? Did you cut that with a CNC cutter of some kind or what? Very nice! As far as coating it, I would say get some scrap pieces and try a few different things to find out what will work.

I know this doesn't directly answer the question, but can you just make a mold of your bolter and then cast it in a stronger material? Did you cut that with a CNC cutter of some kind or what? Very nice! As far as coating it, I would say get some scrap pieces and try a few different things to find out what will work.

I did almost all my work with a ban saw, a belt sander, and then a HECK of a lot of sanding. Haha.

All you need to do is seal it. I use latex paint my self to seal the foam 2-3 coats is best then you can resin it with out it eating the foam. just make sure you get the paint into every nook and cranny. If you don't want to use resin you can poly coat that will stiffen it up and they make a water based one also.

ok my experience with foam and resin so when i made my pyramid head costume it was all made out of foam and i tested teh resin on a spare peice first and thank god cuz yeah resin eats insulation foam but if you put a layer or two of this thing called gesso over the foam first you can resin it without it melting

DO NOT USE THE SPRAY PLASTI_DIP! It will melt your foam! The propellants will eat it! Use either the brush on or,paint the whole gun with elmers glue (two coats),then you can plasti-dip like crazy. good luck and great build!

I spray pained foam board, youll **** everything up! make a medium in betwenn the coat of pain and the actual gun, and that should alleviate the worries

All you need to do is seal it. I use latex paint my self to seal the foam 2-3 coats is best then you can resin it with out it eating the foam. just make sure you get the paint into every nook and cranny. If you don't want to use resin you can poly coat that will stiffen it up and they make a water based one also.

After much research and deliberation, I have decided to go with the latex painting method thorn suggested and then coat it with some type hardener, but what is recommended?

Should I use a resin at that point to make sure it won't break? Is resin clear and thin as well?

Resins differ, some are a milky white, some are solid white, and the kind I'm using is a sort of milky yellow. As for viscosity, again it differs from resin to resin. I haven't found anything that's clear, but I do know that polyurethane(wood sealant) can be clear, and its thickness is relevant to how much you apply to an area.

EDIT: Apparently, polyurethane is a kind of resin. I didn't even realize that when I typed that post, but I did try a little bit of the stuff we have here on some foam board, didn't melt it or anything, so it should be good. I'd test it on a scrap piece first though, no matter what.

Go to the propmaker's supply store (Wal-mart) and get some of the super secret stuff that no resin will eat through (white glue). Mix some water into the super secret stuff and paint it on your props. After that, to get things super smooth without sanding, get some triple thick acrylic sealer (paint dept. it comes in a rattlecan like paint). Several thin coats will do it. If it is done correctly, you don't even need to sand it. The acrylic seal will harden small parts well enough. I haven't tried it on large parts.

Good luck with the build! It looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back