What do you want in a tutorial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
there could be a regular and deluxe edition. but it looks like we're all getting ahead of ourselves and this thread is quickly going to get overwhelmed with ideas.

sean: it looks like you're making progress very quickly. grea job so far and i can't wait to see this thing when it's done. I'd love to help or add something to it later. keep it up bro 8)

Deluxe edition

Thanks for your input everybody. I'm gonna be spending the next few weeks working on the tutorials. I hope to have them finished and viewable shortly after the holidays.

As per your question Adam; "could you describe more about what would be in the kit? I don't quite understand. Paper templates that you'd cut out of plastic? or..."

My armor is faricated out of sheet plastic...that is to say it's not vacuum formed or cast in resin, but assembled from flat sheets of plastic that were cut/bent/glued and then fiberglassed from the inside. As I made my suit I was very careful to save all the flat posterboard patterns I used to make it. I did do alot of shaping and revisions after the pieces were fiberglassed, so I will have to go back and revise some of it, and include instructions on where it needs to be 'rounded out' ...

The 'deluxe' kit would include the pre-cut armor (1/8" polystyrene sheets cut from my stencils) and a detailed CD tutorial on how to bend/trim/glue them into the dimensional armor. Think of it as a big model kit.

Of course it won't include everything needed to make the wearable costume, but it would include links and a 'shopping list' of the materials that weren't included w/ the kit.

So the basic tutorial will be free to all, but I'll have to charge something for the kit to cover my time spent cutting it out and shipping it, but not to worry I am going to keep it affordable for da poorz pplz!

I'll keep you all posted on how this all progresses.

Thanks,

-Sean

yeah, that sounds like a good product. I get about 3 emails per day, asking how to start a master chief costume. This could be a solution.

Re: Deluxe edition

Sean Bradley said:
The 'deluxe' kit would include the pre-cut armor (1/8" polystyrene sheets cut from my stencils) and a detailed CD tutorial on how to bend/trim/glue them into the dimensional armor. Think of it as a big model kit.
Maybe for a cheaper solution you could send copies of the template. It could be good practice for someone (like me) who wants to start on his/her own.

Last edited by a moderator:
oooh! definatly up for a detailed CD and espechially patterns. Preferably preprinted, I'd probably then scale them for my mighty frame and make use of the metric f**kload of sintra, styrene and ABS I have in the workshop.

Please let us know when this is ready and I'll take one.

Sounds like a great idea :wowie:

UKSPARTANFLAG.jpg

Re: Deluxe edition

Caboose said:
Sean Bradley said:
Maybe for a cheaper solution you could send copies of the template. It could be good practice for someone (like me) who wants to start on his/her own.

that sounds great, maybe you can send the cd, with the materials that we need(but only a list) and an extensive tutorial, then we can start and will be a good practice, im a newbie on this things of the vacuumform

skull said:
has stuff you will probably need already been said?
Answer:
Sean Bradley said:

Of course it won't include everything needed to make the wearable costume, but it would include links and a 'shopping list' of the materials that weren't included w/ the kit.

So the basic tutorial will be free to all, but I'll have to charge something for the kit to cover my time spent cutting it out and shipping it

ive gone 2 years in a row and not stopin :)

i bought the limited edition halo graghic novel odst marine action firgure (2 of them and theres on 1200 made :))

UPDATE:

It's Christmas eve, but I thought I'd take some time to keep you all informed on my progress as I've been getting so many PM's asking for prices and such. I have the first couple chapters of the tutorial written, but I'm just stalling at the moment to get some more time to focus on photography. I have a client who wants a suit made to display at his business, so I'm gonna use that as an excuse to create the first kit and completely re-document the process. I did take extensive photos the first time around, but there were so many hits and misses that I'd like for it to be more refined.

Also there are some very interesting developments going on with members here who are getting into unwrapping the Masterchief game model...I want to see what happens with that. It could be very helpful to look at that when I re-draw and organize my templates.

I will post a preview of the tutorial shortly, just to get some input from everybody here. So look for that in the upcoming week.

For everyone who has an interest in purchasing something however you'll just have to be patient at the moment. When it all comes together, you'll be the first to know.

Thanks again to everyone for their interest and for all the constructive suggestions.

-Sean

UPDATE :

Just another update on the status of the hulking tutorial

I have completed the first two chapters, and combined chapter 11 with chapter 2. So the overview of methods and the materials and supplies lists are done. I've also gotten about 1/2 of the Helmet patterning chapter done.

I'm looking for someone who can take my MS Word file w/ images and easily post it to the internet in just a rudimentary form. It's be super cool if we could update it every few days as more of it gets done. In time I will set up and host the polished finished version but because of the recent flurry of activity here I thought we could set up something temporary. PM me if you want to volunteer, you'll get mad credits.

Since this is the free version of the tutorial I don't see any harm in letting some of it out early to help the people who are getting their hands dirty as we speak. Any of you who are just starting you armor who want the Word file PM me with your email address and I'll send you the work in progress.

I'm just taking a break at the moment from writing. This project has turned out to be HUGE and it's looking like it's gonna be a book by the time I finish it. I'm averaging about 10 pages per chapter so by my estimates the finished tutorial might be about 100 pages w/ photos.

Anybody who wants to read over what I have so far and give some constructive input is more than welcome.

I'll keep you all posted. I'd like to have this completely finished in the next week or two.

-Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back