What Is Body Filler Exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tandhem

Is this stuff HERE considered the fiberglass that you'd put on the inside of a pep helmet for support, or the resin that is painted on the outside first

It's what you put on the outside of the armor to carve in details with a dremel, or too smooth the armor out. You shouldn't overuse it though, as it can get really heavy.

That would be the stuff that you apply after you resin and glass the piece so you can round off edges and add detailing to it, the fiberglass will be listed as fiberglass cloth and resin, you put the resin on the outside and the fiberglass cloth with resin on it inside the piece, bondo is a brand name so it can become confusing.

In short, that's body filler for details/smoothing and fiberglass cloth/resin is for support and rigidity.

just so i understand this correctly-

I amd going to resin the outside, use fiberglass cloth on the inside, then use the bondo putty on the outside(does this add strength?). so do i really need body filler? Does the filler add strength?

L:$wes sells the putty and body filler but i cant find any hardware stores nearby (on their websites at least) that sell fiberglass resin or cloth (including wal-mart, lowes, home depot, and menards). anybody??

Tandhem said:

I amd going to resin the outside, use fiberglass cloth on the inside, then use the bondo putty on the outside(does this add strength?). so do i really need body filler? Does the filler add strength?

L:$wes sells the putty and body filler but i cant find any hardware stores nearby (on their websites at least) that sell fiberglass resin or cloth (including wal-mart, lowes, home depot, and menards). anybody??

Resin= Outside for 1st hardening

Fiberglass+resin = Inside for extrea strenght

Body filler= Outside for smoothing and detailing

You dont NECESSARLY need it, but it is always better to use it.

I found my fiberglass equipment at lowes. It should be right next to the body filler. All else fails just ask for help. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Tandhem said:

Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, and auto shops (like Advance Auto Parts and Autozone) all have fiberglass resin, fiberglass cloth/mat, and body filler. Each may have a different brand, but they all achieve the same result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back