Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 2, 2011, 1:33 AM - #26

Haha. I reckon, its a bit like that! . Is it hard to keep the pep rigid while ou'r esloshing the clay around? Or doesn't it flex all that much? .

Cheers, Dave.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Aug 2, 2011, 2:34 AM - #27

well tbh im terrible at pepping so i dont just glue, i tape too :P but the thing is unlike with resin the paper doesnt soak up the molten clay so it keeps its shape awesomely, ive been looking it over for ages and i cant see any signs of warpage. If you do do this method tho i suggest you only melt about half a pound at a time because once you pour in the molten clay it hardens again really quickly so half a pound is more than enough to swirl around in one go. Ill be starting a thread tomorrow on my build
  4. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 2, 2011, 3:51 AM - #28

Sounds very interesting. If I can ever be bothered Pepping again I might give it a go. . This method seems to be working fine at the moment. .
  5. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 2, 2011, 4:21 AM - #29

Having a look at the scale. What do you guys think? .
    Aug 2, 2011, 4:27 AM - #30

I think it might be to big to be honest
  7. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 2, 2011, 4:53 AM - #31

Yeah I reckon too. At the back and on top you reckon?
    Aug 2, 2011, 5:12 AM - #32

ahh dayum dude, seems big :/ althought it might be the right size once you got the armor on seeing as the dudes from GOW are colossi in size :P
    but personally id cut it down a bit
    back mainly then top a bit

TOP TIP OF THE DAY
    if you ever use the pepakura clay method, my top tip of the day is to never let it rest on the side where you poured the newest batch of clay. It made the layers underneath it heat up and soften so the top of the dome of my helmet has warped slightly, i noticed it early on tho so not much warpage, just a small dent
    Last edited by golem95; Aug 2, 2011 at 5:39 AM.
  9. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 4, 2011, 5:50 AM - #33

I reckon! The guys on Gears are Freakish, and the pictures of Clay have his head basially being the size of the helmet! ITs crazy wierd. I cut it down a fair bit though so I think it will fit. .

Thanks for the tip to man! Looking forward to seeing your progress! .
    Aug 4, 2011, 6:23 AM - #34

you can check it out now if you want the intial photos are up :P cant wait for more progress on yours either. Whats your little art work area like? mines a really crud -.-' ive got a hairdryer the sculpt my laptop and 2 lamps on my dining room table as a studio :P
  11. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 4, 2011, 7:25 AM - #35

Just had a squiz, looks pretty damn good man! Sucks with the Mannequin mock up caving in though. . Haha. My studio? Is the desk in bedroom, a computer in front of me and the oven in the kitchen. . Not the greatest.

Heres and update too. Just what I've been doing lately, started the detailing on the front, after cutting down the size at the back, as of yet I have not done much work on the back of the helmet, getting there, eventually, once I block in a few more details on the front. . Tell me what you guys think. Also, the pictures are coming out strange and elongated, so I thought i might do a video for it. .

Stay tuned.

(Its on an angle because the base of the model was sitting funny).

Thats it for now. Enjoy.

Cheers, Dave.
    Aug 4, 2011, 9:12 AM - #36

wow dude... i thought it looked amazing before but now just wow, even the small amount of details just adds a whole lot of awesome im a complete sculpture noob so how did you add the recessed detail on the mouth/chin gaurd?
  13. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 5, 2011, 1:34 AM - #37

I just built up the edges with a bit of clay and then shaved it down so that it was nice and sqaure. . Wait until you see what else I have planned. .
    Aug 5, 2011, 7:02 AM - #38

are you going all your own concept? :P because ive seen the scale figure of clay carmine and i dont remember some of those details :P but your add ons look great too Also i dont really funny understand what you meant by shaving it down to make it square
    Last edited by golem95; Aug 5, 2011 at 7:22 AM.
  15. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 5, 2011, 8:35 AM - #39

On the photos I've found of Clay he's got a slight inset, not as extreme as that one, but slight, I thought I'd just pronounce it more. I'm going to try and stay as true to the original design as i can, but I'm prone to going off and doing my own thing. . As for not understanding, I just role out a coil of clay the right size and the layer it where I want some more thickness, and then, using ribbon tools, cut it into the right shape. .

Cheers, Dave.

P.S. How old are you man? .
    Aug 5, 2011, 12:55 PM - #40

yeah i just discoverec my ribbon tool :P so yeah i get it now thanks man! and im 16 as of today :P im such a noob tho so my sculpt is no doubt gonna go slower than yours, oh well qualtiy takes time right?
  17. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 5, 2011, 9:04 PM - #41

Ribbon tools are incredible. . The mini ones are even better. I'm only 16 too though man. And this is my first sculpt. . Just take your time and make sure all the proportions are good before you start detailing. . Its a pain having to fill the details in to change something by a centimetre. . Oh yeah! Qaulity takes time for sure! .

Cheers, Dave.
    Aug 6, 2011, 8:18 AM - #42

haha well then it really is close competition yeah im basically making sure all my proportions are ready and smoothing out everything before detailing beacuse that just means i dont have to worry about accidentally filling in the detail when smoothing afterwards, but dayum smoothing is taking ages! :P im using this wire tool which seems to do the trick, got the dome nice and... dome-y and smooth :P
  19. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 8, 2011, 1:42 AM - #43

I reckon, this'll be fun. . I'm using one of those finishing rubbers. . Does a wonderful Job. Update sometime soon guys...
    Aug 8, 2011, 3:16 AM - #44

i cant find any finishing rubbers :'(
  21. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 8, 2011, 5:12 AM - #45

I fyou're American, they have them anywhere that sells Kemper Tools, if you're Aussie. Goodluck. I had to order mine from the states, along with some other stuff. Shipping alone cost me 40 odd bucks. :/.
    Aug 8, 2011, 5:40 AM - #46

ouch, do you recon you could post picks from up close on the smoothed areas that you used the finishing rubber on when you next update? i use a wire tool and its gets pretty smooth but not as much as id like :P
    Blog Entries
    Aug 8, 2011, 1:29 PM - #47

This is a awesome sculpt man!
  24. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 9, 2011, 5:08 AM - #48

@Golem. Yeah man I'll definately post some pics of just how smooth you can get it! .

@Jbetts. Thanks man!

I'll update soon, I got to study for a test and some other school related shenanigans. But i'm remodelling the eyebrows, I wasn't happy with them, and I'm adding more and more details. .

Cheers fellas! .
  25. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Aug 10, 2011, 6:21 AM - #49

Update time fellas! So i did a lot more detailing on the front and i think its looking pretty good. Lot mor to go. But its getting closer. .

That is a section smoother with ribbon tools (on the left) and with finishing rubbers (on the right). Its smooth as! .

The rubbers, black ones are hard, blue ones are soft. And the other is a tool that i've been using alot. .

Tell me what you guys think, proportional corrections? What looks good/not good. Hit me with your best shot!. .

Cheers, Dave.
    Aug 10, 2011, 6:59 AM - #50

sweet! im nto sure it ill need the finishing rubber :P by the looks of it its as smooth as i get it with my wire tools, but i bet its faster to get it to that stage with the rubber. looking great! looks like youve really started sorting some of the symmetry problems the more details you add the exier it looks i do still notice that the brow seems crooked tho but you seem to be working out the other problems slowly I just bought a butt load of new tools myself :P its so much easier when you have the correct tools