Army Combat Uniform ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeRanKeR

Jr Member
Well, it's about time I started my ODST thread. Although I don't have enough done right now to post any progress pictures. I want to layout my plans- mainly so I don't forget them myself.
Instead of using a black undersuit, I am actually going to use my ACU uniform I'm still trying to figure out how to get the ARPAT pattern on the uniform seeing as how I would probably go crazy(er) trying to hand paint or even make a stencil for it. So I figured print out a pattern and figure a way to put a clear protective coating over it.
I'm going to attach the UA upgrade. The areas that are not painted the ARPAT pattern is going to be dark gunmetal grey. My expertise with photoshop and paint is horrible, so I can only show you as I go along.
My chest piece is currently curing on the porch so I will see if I can get some sanding done and post some pics tomorrow.
Anyone has any Ideas, please feel free to go at it once I get some pics posted.

Sounds like it should look pretty cool with the ACU uniform and ARPAT armor on top. Cant wait to see some pictures up here...As for trying to paint the ARPAT pattern I saw this youtube video ALONG time ago where the guy was painting his Paintball Marker and he made it look real easy to do. I will see if I can find the video and put it up for you later, I might have even Favorited it because he did such a good job with it.

Update: 4-20-13

Ok, sorry I haven't even posted any progress pictures yet, I have to hand sand my builds (I'm too cheap to buy any sanders- though last nights sanding session is forcing me to rethink getting one) Anyway realizing I was never going to have a perfect piece, here is a few pics along with what I want to try and attach to it.

IMG_20120420_033634.jpg

The basic setup I want to try.

1334908840974.jpg

This is just a printout of the ACU design, What isn't given the ACU painting, is going to be either a matte black, or gunmetal gray.

IMG_20120420_040357.jpg

IMG_20120420_040415.jpg

Going overboard with the patches... Although, it would be cool to have a UNSC patch on one side and the ODST patch on the other.

IMG_20120420_040444.jpg

Maybe I can sand a bit more off so I can put the name tape here...

I'm still having issues finding a way to get the ACU pattern on it... Well there's my update, against my better judgment I posted the pics. It looks like there are a bunch of pock marks all across the piece, but Ives checked and it is pretty smooth... So not sure what's going on there. If anyone has some ideas or advice, please lemme know.

*****UPDATE number 2******
Here is just a general design concept.
IMG_20120420_053910-1.jpg

I am going to add a little bit in the center of the chest plate, so of course this isn't finished/

Looking good so far i think. Im with you on the sanding, i hand sand all mine and man is it a pain lol. I am thinking about getting a sander too.
Keep up the good work, Cant wait to see this come together :)

Ok, here's another quick little piece.
IMG_20120420_074630.jpg

I'm debating on whether or not I should insert a piece down the center.
I am going to start the helmet now, And I'm fairly certain I know how to set the helmet up.
*I am going to sand down the top piece so I can inset the name tape, I'm working on finding a place where I can have a UNSC branch tape made. Also if anyone knows how I can have custom made (UNSC and ODST insignias) please lemme know! thanks

Ok, so I'm at the office right now, so luckily I'm only security. I only need to be away from the computer when someone talks loud or is outta line >:) so thankfully I can still work on my armor. Right now I am working on the UA upgrade for the helmet (because its small enough I can still work on it here. Debating on whether that should be ACU patterned also.... Nah, I'll just go with the black. Besides there's gonna be a strip of camo down the center of the helmet anyways.
Post a few pics if I can get any measureable work done.
It is looking good, I like the idea of blocking off the patterns.
I'm not sure if I fully understand when you say blocking off the patterns. If your referring to how the camouflage is made, that is the standard ACU pattern.

Oh, I was referring to how you have the ACU pattern in sections and not just covering the whole chest piece....Plus, I found that video that was talking about earlier if you want to see how he painted it.

@sgtski
Ill be honest and say that I didn't really think about carrying throught with my ideas until I seen your thread.

@ZoidianKings
I thought about going full acu but where was the ingenuity in that right?

This is the video I was talking about for painting the pattern. He makes it look pretty easy to do and did a very good job with it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that video, Ima get more sanding done and get started on that process... thanks for looking that video up for me.
**UPDATE**
hmm.... quick question those who may be following this... I see sgtski is doing the desert ODST, I at first started with the universal ACU colors, (Shown above) should I continue it, or should I try the urban camo colors? Anyway while I wrestle with that, I am going to start on the helmet. I finished a shin and I am dreading resining and bondoing it, so ima procrastinate on it for a while.

I love that video, Ima get more sanding done and get started on that process... thanks for looking that video up for me.

No problem, glad I could help out a little bit...To be honest I don't really like the urban style camo (That's just my opinion though). You can always print out some sample pieces like the pics you have posted and then compare the two.

awesome progress! dont worry bout having a "factory perfect" piece i dont, cause for me i like a little battle damage, adds authenticity in my book! i would go classic camo myself, but thats just me. cant wait to see more!

Yeah, I didn't think about it until afterwards. I don't think that urban camo armor would look good with the universal colors". Still working on getting it done, but today is Sunday so ima just go take a nap xD.

Hey guys, I'll try and get pics up as soon as possible. (I've been in the process of moving) I've completely redone the chest piece and it is looking a lot better than previously. I have it painted the desert brown as a base coating and attempted the method ZoidianKings graciously provided me with.... It. was. utter. failure.... So I sanded it down and started anew. I'll see if I can't get some pics up tomorrow. Oh, also I pepped out a shin... big problem. I have it to where it is almost to my size in width and depth... But the height is a different story. Maybe I can try and cut a little off the calf section for better movement, but that still wouldn't solve the issue of height. Also, I am going to try my hand at making the SMG... for simplicity I made it a lower definition rather than that god awful high definition... It's 12:30 AM now so im going to shut up and go to bed before I make this post into a friggin book. Night ya'll

I haven't been working on my build for the last few months, so I finally revamped the project a little bit... I swear the sanding is a pain in the [expletive deleted]. It may not look like much but I swear work IS being done to it... I have the shoulder pieces pepped, but I need to focus on this pain. Any help would be appreciated... thanks.

DSC00410.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

DSC00378.jpg

Computer is acting retarded so later I will see if I can get another pic of the chest piece up.... Any advice is helpful.
I sprayed it to the color that I wanted just to make sure that it was the correct color. It is no where near done but you get the gist of what I would like to do. I'm not looking forward to doing the visor because I have no clue on how to do it. ((gonna pay the stickies a visit here in a minute))

In my opinion digital camo usually makes guns look like cheap toys, but I never thought about how it would look on armor. Your helmet looks good so far, I think a variety of dark greys would be a cool color scheme.(but that's just me) Also if you're looking for a hand-sander I recommend getting one of those oscillating triangular ones, they're super useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back