Paige's Multiple Variant Armour Builds [PIC HEAVY]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaigeMaster

Jr Member
I've been working on and off with this stuff for a while now, and while I've always had the desire to post my work, I've never really had the drive with all the fantastic builds going on around me. Still, time to bite the bullet and get some stuff showcased, I suppose.

Most of my work is work for other people - my own Scout build is on-going in the background, however I've managed to knock out a couple of helmets so far for other friends of mine that want armour as well. As it stands currently my work load is as follows:

- Six individual Mk V/Reach-variant full armour sets
- One individual Mk V/EOD helmet commission
- One potential ODST/Buck helmet commission

That's a lot of work for one girl and her friend to work on. We're working on getting a CNC machine operational at some point but that's an expensive process - so, we've settled for the Pepakura method currently. Both of us have some experience with resin and fibreglass from other projects, so we've been able to head straight into this with few hitches save the unstable weather and the Pepakura work being time-consuming to assemble

So, without further ado, I present the first slew of back-dated pictures. The first few posts will deal primarily with my Operator helmet build, and then I'll post up further pictures of the other variants as I go.

operator000.jpg

operator001.jpg

operator002.jpg

operator003.jpg

operator004.jpg

operator005.jpg

Second post, more pictures incoming. This helmet modelled by my work-buddy, whose head is a lot larger than mine and is a closer fit to the person whose head this belongs to (who unfortunately wasn't on hand to model it himself).

operator006.jpg

operator007.jpg

operator008.jpg

operator009.jpg

operator010.jpg

operator011.jpg

operator012.jpg

operator013.jpg

operator014.jpg

operator015.jpg

After a few days of awful weather and refining the helmet (and the camera) we finally got outside to do some work on the armour. Resin/hardening work went very well, and there are very few crumples and warped areas to address later.

operator016.jpg

operator017.jpg

operator018.jpg

In order to make sure the front camera add-on fits perfectly to the helm, we wrapped the helm in clingfilm to prevent soiling it with resin and taped the add-on to the helm very loosely using bandage tape. This should ensure that the add-on keeps the right shape to the helmet, but will be easy to remove after the resin work has been done to harden it up.

operator019.jpg

This is the first time I've seen an Operator helmet in Pepakura. You've done a great job. Do you think you'll put LED's in the goggles or anything?

I might - I'm doing all three versions of the Operator helmet from Reach, so that the guy wearing it will have a choice in which add-ons he wants. However, he's leaning more towards the UA and FC-I pieces, so I'm not sure. I did have plans to use the central lens for a webcam, and have the other two with LEDs in, or something. I'm not quite sure what I'd like, it's down to the wearer.

Incoming: EVA helmet progress.

EVA002.jpg

EVA001.jpg

EVA003.jpg

EVA004.jpg

EVA005.jpg

EVA007.jpg

EVA008.jpg

EVA009.jpg

I might - I'm doing all three versions of the Operator helmet from Reach, so that the guy wearing it will have a choice in which add-ons he wants. However, he's leaning more towards the UA and FC-I pieces, so I'm not sure. I did have plans to use the central lens for a webcam, and have the other two with LEDs in, or something. I'm not quite sure what I'd like, it's down to the wearer.

Thats a good idea. I've had an idea for a while now, when I make my ODST, to make Romeo's goggles and install a tiny webcam in them or something ( as well as some other things! ) Looking forward to seeing the final product!

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

Got back from holiday yesterday, and today was filled with further work. The Operator camera has been fully hardened and fibreglassed, and I've begun work on filling/smoothing.

GEDC0006.jpg

EVA011.jpg

EVA010.jpg

operator022.jpg

operator021.jpg

operator020.jpg

Tomorrow, more smoothing!

WOA! That's amazing pep work! Where the heck did you find that operator helmet? I've only seen one, and that didn't have the camera attachment. Did you make the model yourself?

WOA! That's amazing pep work! Where the heck did you find that operator helmet? I've only seen one, and that didn't have the camera attachment. Did you make the model yourself?

It's a model by JTM1997 - he very kindly supplied the model and I did some work to it afterwards to smooth it over. I'll upload a copy and I'll be sure to post it both in this topic and his.

it looks smooth so far. you say this was for other people?

It is, yes. This is for my boyfriend, but I guess I could be persuaded to make casts of it to sell. The plan was to cast it anyways - this version is far too heavy to wear thanks to the multiple layers of fibreglass and resin.

Thanks for the kind comments. I hope to have some more progress to show tomorrow.

It is, yes. This is for my boyfriend, but I guess I could be persuaded to make casts of it to sell. The plan was to cast it anyways - this version is far too heavy to wear thanks to the multiple layers of fibreglass and resin.

Thanks for the kind comments. I hope to have some more progress to show tomorrow.

I could be interested in a Operator helmet. So far i'm doing Props. I have the TACPAD and I'm working on a scale Plasma Grenade but I don't have the tools needed for helmet making.

I just started my Operator helm and totally didn't come across this thread in my research. Very nicely done. I'm currently on my 3rd try for sizing. I did (in height) 250mm, 318mm, then 282mm. The first one was squishing my ears, the 2nd could fit a horse, and the 3rd is still WIP. I'm afraid I'm going to have to separate the helm into 2 pieces to get my head in the damn thing. Any insight you could put out would be great!

Thanks!

And yes, your pep'n skills are great!

I could be interested in a Operator helmet.

As soon as it's done we'll be making pulls. I'll be sure to keep you informed.

I used a scale of 31.0cm myself, but for smaller heads you'll want to scale this down radically. I'd personally suggest a scale of 29.5cm - it's intermediate between the small and large versions you've done.

If in doubt, try to look at the width of the helmet over the height. The width of the Operator helmet comes in at 23cm when scaled at 31cm height - use a baseball cap or some other hat with a firm brim to get a rough idea of how wide your head is, and then add a centimeter or so. to accommodate the helmet.

With that in mind, I put together a little gift for you. It's unfolded in A4 format since I did this mainly for my own personal use, but I doubt you'd have very many problems with converting it for letter use. Just be sure to give myself and JTM1997 credit when you use it.

Mk V Operator helmet by JTM117 - refinement/unfold by PaigeMaster.

Great work so far! What's your plan for the EVA visor? I only ask because I'm working on an EVA helmet myself!

We're going to be casting the visor separately using a water-clear casting resin we found from the same supplier that provides us with our fibreglassing supplies. We'll probably be using Redshirt's Custom Visor Tutorial to make ours - it's going to be black.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Without further ado, more progress. Hammered this out over the last few days:

odst002.jpg

odst003.jpg

odst004.jpg

odst005.jpg

odst006.jpg

I've since glued all of the pieces together fully and removed the clips. I'll be adding the parts for Dutch's helmet to this after I've applied a coat of resin.

Keep the questions and critique coming in, guys! Next up, Commando!

Again, guys, thanks for the kind words and the encouragement.

I'm sorry that I haven't had a lot of progress to report over the past few days - my holiday has left me a little tired, not to mention getting back into the swing of things at work and my printer finally kicking the bucket, so I haven't really done any major work. However, with a new printer, I've been able to get some new stuff done and as soon as I've finished the construction (I refuse to post half-finished pep-work as progress) I'll post up pictures.

I'll say this, however: to the Dawn Under Heaven crew: your files are amazing, but foxtrot you, they were not designed for human fingers x_x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back