Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOVE that visor on the black helmet! I wish I could do something like that to my helmet but I wouldn't know how. Guess I'll have to just do the dual visor method.

Frickin' sweet!

I wanted to do a steampunk/clockwork spartanII. I've already got the steampunk splazervision goggles for it....

wow... that flexy chest looks amazing!! :D
would it be more comfortable to wear ?

Frickin' sweet!
I wanted to do a steampunk/clockwork spartanII. I've already got the steampunk splazervision goggles for it....

do it!! i'd love to see it hahah
steampunk spartan.. now that would be something awesome!

yeah the flex foam chest would be much more comfy.

More comfy, yes. But the rest of my crowd plans on using their armor for airsoft and paintball battles. Airsoft would punch holes in the foam. That makes it look less cool.

Speaking of looking cool. I've finally got the colors right on this thing:
4850631429_0e7d5c5d38_o.jpg

4851248700_0689c44b1c_o.jpg

When he saw it, my sister's husband (also a Marine) asked for one in Woodland MARPAT digital camo. Not that I've got the digital camo thing down, I'm thinking I'll do it. Then I'll crank out an aquaflage navy camo one for me.

In other news, I've started working on an improved version of boot prototypes. The plan is to skip all of the other ridiculously elaborate molding and casting plans I had before and just make them in foam. More details and pictures as I make progress.

I just read through this entire thread... again. Amazing what one man (and friends) can accomplish. Thanks for the recommendation of that book, too, it'll definitely help me get into moldmaking. Loving your digital camo, by the way.

I'm also interested in your visor setup, as it seems like it's a lot more customizable than motorcycle visors (and potentially a reasonable solution to the full-visor EVA and such). Not to mention I really like the slightly bubbled look. To get the reflective finish, you're spraying a very light layer of mirrachrome (or was it a different brand?) through an airbrush / paint sprayer, correct? Any additional details you might be able to give on this methodology?

i just have a quick ?,
your torso is tapped around the shoulders...why is that on my pep file the thing looks like one piece, is yours a two piece?

To get the reflective finish, you're spraying a very light layer of mirrachrome (or was it a different brand?) through an airbrush / paint sprayer, correct? Any additional details you might be able to give on this methodology?

That's pretty much it. I started with a vacformed piece of 1/8"-thick amber-colored acrylic. Once it was formed, I scored the edges into the surface. Then I did a quick ink wash to make the edges look darker and dusted the inside of the acrylic with mirrachrome. I need to find an appropriate clear coat now because the mirrachrome is so susceptible to damage that fingerprints will take it off.

why is that on my pep file the thing looks like one piece, is yours a two piece?
Because after my prototype was built and glassed I cut it into pieces. If you look back a bit further, you'll notice that the larger torso has separate shoulders as well. So it's not two pieces, it's four. Then there's five little detail castings and the ab plate. So in all there are ten pieces to my torso.

I've only heard people call them "gay @$$ digis," "heat magnets," and NWUs.
What about Gucciflage, Aquaflage, Smurfoflage, Oscar Killers, Hot Topic Rejects, digi-blueberries, or Deet-duh-deegital cammies?

What about Gucciflage, Aquaflage, Smurfoflage, Oscar Killers, Hot Topic Rejects, digi-blueberries, or Deet-duh-deegital cammies?

Stennis sailors are not very creative when it comes to the N00bish Wardrobe of Uniformity....although Deet-duh-dee is said quite often in the radar room....

What's mirrachrome made of? Will it melt in a microwave? :D

The helmet looks amazing I'm especially impressed with the visor you really made it look like how it is in the game. Awesome custome paintjob I can tell you put a lot of work into the project and deffinatly hope to see more.

Oh and I deffinatly need to give thanks for that trip on how to score the visor.

That's pretty much it. I started with a vacformed piece of 1/8"-thick amber-colored acrylic. Once it was formed, I scored the edges into the surface. Then I did a quick ink wash to make the edges look darker and dusted the inside of the acrylic with mirrachrome. I need to find an appropriate clear coat now because the mirrachrome is so susceptible to damage that fingerprints will take it off.

Thanks for the response and clarification! I'm guessing regular clear coats will turn the chrome grey? I noticed on the manufacturer's site that they make an equally expensive "mirraclear", is that something you've tried as of yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back