RoboCop Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top added!

So I have added a foam top to the larger helmet. When constructing the 'pink' helmet I tried to make it clean so that I should have less to sand. I'm using the smaller helmet as my 'test' helmet. Today I covered half with PVA and the other with polyurethane to see which seals the foam best. I will update you all when my tests are over.

null_zps5499e3ac.jpg

All in all it a fun build! as you can see my 2 year old is also having fun with daddy! In a few years time she will be making her own I think!! She finds it fun helping me!

Attachments

• null_zps5499e3ac.jpg
    null_zps5499e3ac.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 357
Not to shabby there sir :)
Thats a great pic lol
Keep it and show it to her when she is older

Test helmet

I covered one side in PVA x5 layers and the other in polyurethane. Then tested metallic paint and mat. All came out well so I have desided to go for the cheep PVA glue coating not the exspencive Polyurethane. You will notice I did not sand or tidy the TEST HELMET. The 'Pink' Helmet will be sanded this week untill smoth.... then PVA time!!!!!

null_zpse0160f0a.jpg

Attachments

• null_zpse0160f0a.jpg
    null_zpse0160f0a.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 224
Torso Time

GIVE ME STRENGTH!

My goodness, starting to see why there are only a few Robocops out there... The suite is going to be tight fitting!.... I'm going to sweat. I think I will pretty much just be in my underwear unser all this foam.

null_zps02b28793.jpg

So I will wear a tight foam torso, covered in black latex... then my chest armor pops on top. This will be magnetized. My neck is going to be the same as the torso. Black shiny TIGHT latex covered foam with two magnets holding it together.

IMG_2507_zps4e645617.jpg

I need everyone on 405 to give me positive thoughts!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2507_zps4e645617.jpg
    IMG_2507_zps4e645617.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 248
  • null_zps02b28793.jpg
    null_zps02b28793.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 229
This seems like an interesting undertaking, to say the least. It looks pretty cool though, I can just imagine a robo cop walking into the theatre, and all the jaws dropping.

Yes I can Pee

So here is my basic shape of my torso with my COD.

null_zps7434c1df.jpg

I have left a 'pee hole panel' on the front! Trust me when I say the Cosplay will be tight fitting! And I can guess it will take maybe 1 hour to suite up.... so lets hope Rob needs no Robopoo!
I have began the SLOW process of sanding the armor over the last few days.... man thats fun... but seeing the SLOW progress makes me want to 'do the robot' dance!

Attachments

• null_zps7434c1df.jpg
    null_zps7434c1df.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 188
This seems like an interesting undertaking, to say the least. It looks pretty cool though, I can just imagine a robo cop walking into the theatre, and all the jaws dropping.

Yeah! i hope I have it ready for the new films launch! I just need more foam!!!!!

Update!

Things moving at a good pace... I just cannot get any more foam on Jersey CI. My island has very strict rules on things on the island. We have one shop that sells foam squares. They decided to stop selling it. And for some reason nobody on the internet will send any to me as we are not in the EU yet we are in Europe... but were not.....
RANT OVER.

Anyway, I have begun sanding YAY!

null_zps1077296a.jpg

I will keep looking for foam on the island as I wish to get on with my arms and legs! Do you guys like my progress?

Attachments

• null_zps1077296a.jpg
    null_zps1077296a.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 186
Sanding Foam

Headsand_zpsc8ea9b10.jpg

So sanding foam is fun! It takes hours and you have to use slow settings but, in time all is falling into place. The top of my helmet was very odd spapped.. but after 30 mins it was smothish. I will continue with the helt soon as I need to take a brake from the chest armor (Its taking HOURS)

Hope your still enjoying this build!!!

Attachments

• Headsand_zpsc8ea9b10.jpg
    Headsand_zpsc8ea9b10.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 215
This is nice. In future when trying to make a semi-sphere/round top for a helmet, take some EVA foam, use a heatgun and stretch & pull it over a soccer ball or an upside down bowl. You'll probably need to top to reheat the foam a few times.

What grit sandpaper are you using for sanding? And is it plausible to do it by hand or will it require an electric sander? Thanks, I'm experimenting with sanding foam for my suit and haven't seen many people doing it, so I'm after any info that I can find.

What grit sandpaper are you using for sanding? And is it plausible to do it by hand or will it require an electric sander? Thanks, I'm experimenting with sanding foam for my suit and haven't seen many people doing it, so I'm after any info that I can find.

Im using a Drimel
dremel-4000-2_zps7c4dbd1f.jpg

I use the low setting and slowly sand away! The best tip is the little pointy end:
Dremel_952_zps19766942.jpg

I will slowly get it looking right, it takes time. I hear of people who rush into sanding and tear it up! Just take your time! I will post some new pictures once I have smothed the chest before I coat it in PVA.

Attachments

• dremel-4000-2_zps7c4dbd1f.jpg
    dremel-4000-2_zps7c4dbd1f.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 191
  • Dremel_952_zps19766942.jpg
    Dremel_952_zps19766942.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 197
Thanks for the tip buddy, luckily I have a dremel, I just need to buy the right head attachments for it now. Atlease it doesn't need to look pretty for me, as I'm only sanding the inside.

Dud way to go on smoothing out the edges on the lid :)
I should probably go back and so that to mine lol.
I have just been so unmotivated to work on anything it sucks :-(
But glad to see you are making progrewss :)
Keep it up

It's really cool to see someone bring back a classic such as RoboCop! Great work! :D

Oh and Mstruvmgc....you better get to work on something!!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back