1: Safely Handling Dangerous Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snyper

Hi guys and girls, welcome to my first Blog on 405th.com.

I've been lurking around the forums for a few days now and have noticed that a few of the same questions keep popping up: what's the difference between Bondo and Rondo, what is a respirator and why do i need one, how do i mix resin and so on... My goal is to answer these question in a clear an concise manner.

I'll primarily be focusing on Fiber-glassing and resin based problems, as this is what i have experience with in the past.

1 - Have a plan: its no use mixing up a batch of resin if you don't have the time to do the job properly.

2 - Know your stuff:
READ READ and READ some more. Remember information is power. Read all the way through the stickies. Chances are the question you have, has already been asked and answered. Don't just skip to the last page and post! Read the Instructions on the package; Read the MSDS and then you will know how long it takes for the particular resin your using to cure. How much Catalyst/Hardener to use and how to clean up the mess you've just made. Trust me it CAN get messy

3 - M.S.D.S.: Material Safety Data Sheet.
One of these exist for every chemical that you will use. They are government and UN regulated for a reason.

4 - PPE: Personal Protective Equipment.
This Equipment can save your life!
4 - A: Repirators
Without getting too technical there are 4 basic types: Mechanical (often Disposable), Chemical, Purification, and self contained breathing apparatus.

The Chemical filters are by a high margin the most popular as they give a wide range of protection from different chemical, biological and micro particulates (Dust). At relatively low cost.

An Activated Carbon Filter is a chemical filter, and is the type you want when using resin and solvents. However this filter is easily clogged by dust so it is important to have a Dust filter in place before the ACF. Dust filters are also called HEPA filters and are composed of small glass fibers (fiber-glass (does anyone else find it slightly ironic that we are protecting ourselves from Resin vapors by using Fiber-glass?)) that trap particles by using static charge. see the Wikipedia entry about HEPA Filters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEPA

4 - B: Gloves
This is pretty straight forward: DON'T BE STINGY! buy good quality ones that fit tightly. There are a few types; Latex, which is cheap and generally good quality, but not useful to people with allergies.
Vinyl are the ones i prefer to use but they cost approx. double that of Latex, and sometimes have to be ordered in.

5 - Skin Protection
Get a dust suit, or use barrier cream. If you use barrier cream remember to moisturize after you get it off for the day. Trust me on this one, its just easier. If you get a rash after you've just done some sanding then have a HOT shower, then turn the hot tap off. This will open the pores in your skin then close them rapidly forcing all of the dust particles out of your body.

Well that's my first blog for 405th.com done. Any questions just ask happy to help.

Ash
(There's someone in the gift shop!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back