1st Attempt at ODST WETA Helmet (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODST Seph

Hey hey!

So me and a friend have started putting together a set of ODST armour. We've started with the helmet (Thanks to HeavyGunner for his complete Pepakura Pack) here's how its going after a few days...

CIMG0286.jpg

My Partner in Crime working away

CIMG0283.jpg

Helmet! You're doing it wrong!

CIMG0279.jpg

The first half of the easy part

CIMG0278.jpg

Me and my work

CIMG0287.jpg

That's the easy bit done...

Once again thanks to HeavyGunner for his Pepakura pack, it's the mutt's nutts. I'll update when we've got some complete helmets. Our plan is to get some "sculpy" and use the Pepakura as a kind of skeleton, model the sculpy until its to our liking (apparently it doesn't go off until it's fired for 15mins) after that we break out the Dremmel, and the spray paints. Any advice from peeps who may have tried something like that before would be welcome, we're aiming for the helmets to be 'knock hard', but not too brittle.

tight-o, i'm offski again

ciao all

ODST-Seph

Wait... Why wouldn't you just invest in glue while you're at it? I WILL look a lot better, and hold a lot better when you use glue to assemble. ;)

Wait... Why wouldn't you just invest in glue while you're at it? I WILL look a lot better, and hold a lot better when you use glue to assemble. ;)
My mate Jabez has done a few Pepakura projects before, mostly models of Serenity and such, so I'm sorta following his lead with stuff like that. I have asked if it would be better with glue he said it makes very little difference. Lol I don't know enough to argue.

hey just a heads up, be careful with the tape your using as ive seen resin eat through it. that's if your going to resin your helms (which i would recommend as you want them to be hard)

:)

Hey guys, it's good to know the pep pack helped you out! :D I do have a word of advice for you though, on my first pepakura project I used tape too, and let's just say it didn't turn out too well. Using tape can greatly reduce the amount of detail visible in the finished piece, and has a tendency to wear off over time. That's not to say what you guys have done is ruined though, if you're simply planning on using the pep part as a base to sculpt over, I'd say you have a good chance of succeeding. I've personally never used sculpey before, but my advice to you is this, make sure the finished helms are covered very thouroughly with sculpy on the inside and outside. If you just do the outisde, the helms could warp and crack while they're baking. You should have a thin reinforcement layer on the inside to support the structure when it's done.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the helmets! Two heads, (or four hands) are better than one! :D And don't forget, if you make a mistake, there's no shame in starting over. It just means you get to do better job the next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back