1st Build: ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazorRaf

Hello Hello, This will be my 1st build and no real experience before. I have read and watched many threads. I'll be using Hugh's Build. Any questions are welcome and I've been taking daily pictures but will only post big changes. I've been working on this since October, didn't want to post anything until I felt like I was going to actually go through with it. Helmet is pep, armor will be foam.

Current Helmet Completion: 99%
Current Armor Completion 9%

056.JPG
Pep'd

071.JPG
Building The Helmet

093.JPG
Final Pep

114.JPG
Obligatory Wear Pep Helmet / Size Check

122.JPG
Resined 2 coats outside

126.JPG
Fiberglassed Inside

132.JPG
Bondo'ing, may have overbondo'ed but live and learn.

IMG_0363.JPG

Filled and primed

IMG_0396.JPG

Wet sanded, detailed, reprimed

IMG_0400.JPG

Added metallic coat.

IMG_0407.JPG

Added latex for scratches and painted.

IMG_0418.JPG

Weathered, foam neck piece added.

IMG_0621.JPG

Starting work on the armor.

Please look forward to more. Advice / critiques is welcomed.

Last edited:
*claps* Yes! More ODST builds are always good to see, especially the helmets. And might I say I'm liking what I see with yours, good work! I may not be the biggest help with pep but if you require assistnace with your foam armour I'd be happy to assist you in your inquiries the best I can, I look forward to more of those pictures and future progress, keep it up!

Dang man, that looks great for a foam helmet! I'm caught between doing a helljumper helmet or an ODST. I like classic ODST a little bit more, but there are just so many out there. I might end up just doing both in the end :rolleyes

140.JPG146.JPG
Cut out the Visor because I figured at this point if I did it later I'd have to rebondo/sand and prime it.
I ended up removing a bit more than I wanted so I reresined/fiberglassed/bondoed part of the inner visor wall.
Then I did used a light to find holes and bondoed those, Cut the lines with the rotary tool, and then started my finishing sand.

Edit:
150.JPG
I just did my 1st coat of primer. I see some blemishes which I'll rebondo and resand and then reprime. Really dig the look now. I wish I had more paint options where I'm at. As it stands I'm looking at a black helmet hahaha. I'll have to keep looking.

After I'm done, I'll bondo anything that doesn't seem right, then I'll probably add the small attachments using foam (vents, pieces, etc...), and go from there.

That helmet is a work of art, really well done! Pep helmets do take quite a long time, but as you can see with your piece right there, pep helmet instead of foam gives a wonderful result!

057.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG
So I resanded, refilled, reprimed maybe 3-4 times over and it seems a lot smoother now. There are still a couple of nicks and dings but who wants a Brand new standard issued helmet anyway.

I wet sanded, refilled, added details, and reprimed this time in a different primer. Probably wet sand again and then start to paint.

IMG_0400.JPG

I sprayed two layers of metallic paint. I put on latex for future scratches and then began painting.

IMG_0407.JPG

Painted.

Last edited:
IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

Clear coat is done. Added neck foam to the bottom I'll also eventually add foam to the inside of the helmet. The visor I'll probably do very last (even after all the armor is done). So now to move on to the armor.

Thanks for the compliments! Been working on the upper chest. Got it all cut out and the. Taped to see what I'm working with.
IMG_0522.JPG

It's just a tad snug but fits, the n come hole wasn't big enough so I had to alter it a bit. So I'm thinking about splitting the sides and putting fasteners on. If anyone has any advice I'm all ears!
IMG_0535.JPG

Glued.
IMG_0532.JPG

Fit test and to see progression. Going to move on to the next piece. I'll finish all the pieces and then I'll detail them and seal it all together instead of finishing a piece at a time, I figure it will be less time consuming.

Last edited:
I was working on the shoulder pad and unfortunately it seems too small so I'll have to redo it. Also my visor material came in. It was a pain to create and definitely it perfect. In fact it will need some cleaning up but for now the helmet is done.
IMG_0624.JPG

Amazing work so far man! Again love the helmet! If you don't mind me asking how didn't you go about making your visor? I've made an ODST helmet myself out of foam but I'm not sure how to go about the visor, anything advice you could give me would be really helpful.

great work so far my friend. you are making it very clean. I am loving how well your doing for your first. Warning you may want to upgrade you armor after this build I did after my first. can wait to see your finished good.

Looking pretty good with the helmet there. Nice job.

Oh and uh
how didn't you go about making your visor? I've made an ODST helmet myself out of foam but I'm not sure how to go about the visor, anything advice you could give me would be really helpful.

I know I'm not who you were asking, and I know I probably don't get to talk yet because I haven't even gotten close to the visor portion of my helmet build, but from what I've heard it involves buying and cutting up a motorcycle helmet's visor. Sounds like a pain, I know, but I hear visor replacements are cheap on Amazon and won't lacerate you when you cut them if you have thick enough gloves.

Thanks. I actually ordered standard material off of etsy.com. It took a couple of weeks to get here and when it did it was the exact size I needed which isn't a good thing cause you can't mess up. I then reprinted the pepakura files for the visor and sort of rebuilt that. I then traced the material with my cutting device.

After that was the hard part as both my old visor and the printed did not fully fit my helmet. So I had to trim what I thought needed trimming. Unfortunately it didn't go as well as I hoped but I tried the best I could.

I then super glued the bottom piece to the top. Make a foamie border and tried hot gluing that to the visor and then that to the helmet. Very difficult process. If I could I'd try again I'd try vacuum forming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back