2 coats of fiberglass cloth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irvinelax

Jr Member
Is it possible to do more than one layer of fiberglass cloth on the inside? or perhaps 1 layer of fiberglass cloth on the outside? If anyone has done either of these things( fiberglass cloth on outside, or 2 layers on inside) could you tell me if it helped or worked thanks

Fiberglass doesnt like to conform to curves and angles very well. Therefore if you put it on the outside its going to knock your detail down to about 20% or so. 2 layers on the inside is more than acceptable though. Just let the layers dry seperately though.

ok but do you think putting a small layer under the visor is good because its all flat and can use some suport

I did 2 layers of glass on the outside and had no problems with them conforming, use small pieces cut to the area you are going to cover, any autobody tech. should know how to do this so if you know one recruit them, or even an airframe mechanic that works with the latest composits, this is where I got my experience building cars and repairing aircraft. also I did not glass the inside of my helmet, just 8 ounces of resin and rotated it till th resin took a set, glass the outside twice, spray foam on the inside and a coat of resin over that, now mud the outside per the tutorial and detail. the real helmet is not suppose to have all the angles the pep helmet does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back