2nd Iron Man Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironclover

So,

I first began with the great idea of trying to sculpt with clay, and that turned out okay, for the first half. After that, It began drying to quickly and it sucked major.

In the light of that aspect, with the desire to finish the project, I began to construct carboard. I have made 2 masterchief helmets out of cardboard, one turned out ok, it was my fist attempt... carboard and duct tape... no bueno.

My second attemp was carboard and hot glue gun, it was doing better, but I wasnt satisfied and stopped half way through.

Recently I have been attracted to the sleekness of the Iron Man helmet from the movie. I know there are alot of them out there, but I wanted to do it myself, for a bigger project. The bigger project I am speaking of is a way to make the faceplate open and close on its own. I am going to school to become a mechanical engineer, so I know about mechanics and such. I have already drawn up blue prints, and such and now all I need is a helmet to work with, so I am making it out of carboard and hot glue.

After this first step, (which is almost done), I will do fiberglass to make it harder, and be able to sand it to a better quality. This will also prep it for the molding process, which is after that. Then I will make a couple casts and go from there...

Maybe after the helmet is done, and in working order, I will start on the suit.

Here is my progress as of today.
IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

Also, after fiberglassing, when im sanding, I am going to even it out, and make it more symetrical.

Please tell me some constructive criticism...

IC

Not bad for cardboard. However, I think the ear circles kinda protrude out a bit on the helmet?

I'm not sure, you have reference images, right?

Bloodl3tt3r said:
Not bad for cardboard. However, I think the ear circles kinda protrude out a bit on the helmet?

I'm not sure, you have reference images, right?

yes the ear curcles do protrude a bit, I havnt done them yet.... that's the last thing to be done before the fun task of fiberglassing....

other than the supports inside to make sure the helmet is somewhat symetrical and the right shape.

IC

Last edited by a moderator:
So,

I have begun the fiberglassing today.

It is looking alright, I cant wait to be able to begin the sanding process to even it out more.
IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

Overlord_Ian said:
Looks great!, Makes me want to make an IM helmet.

haha, thanks Ian.

i am about to go outside and do round 2 of the fiberglassing while it is still light out side. I am sad because I cant begin the sanding untill later because my payroll check came back with insufficient funds... which means im without money untill like friday, unless I can conjure some out of thin air, which i am going to try.

IC

Boris said:
Wow thats very good for Cardboard man Great job :D

Thanks Boris.

I have to admit, I didnt think I would be able to get any of the right shapes down with that thick cardboard.

That is 100% normal carboard, as you can see. I did a little bit more fiberglassing...

The next run to fiberglassing will be tomorrow evening. I have school at two different colleges tomorrow...

As of right now, I know it does not look like to much, but towards the end, I am planning on selling some copies, because I am going to mold it.

Oh, and before I forget. I have already figured out how to make the faceplate move animatronically, as in up and down on its own, and all I have to do is finish the phase im in right now, then I get to begin that process.... If anyone would like to get updates of my progress to email, or anything, pm me so I can get your email and send them directly.

IC

wow, that's a really good cardboard helmet. Puts my Iron Man cardboard helmet to shame

keep up the good work :D

well, thank you for all the support and constructive criticism.

I know I have not updated in a while, but my digital camera is broken, and should be fixed soon.

So... I have been doing a lot of sanding... A LOT... and it is almost done being fiberglassed. The shape is coming out very nice I think. I am one of those people that has to have it as close to accurate as possible. If not I will not be happy with it... (thats my artist side).

Also, I have already made the plans for the faceplate, and have began gathering supplies for that, along with the supplies for the molding and casting.

IC

wwslubs,

i have a great idea on how to do the faceplate idea with just two motors, and very easy to do. Danger russ and I have already discussed how he made his faceplate flip, so I know what you are wanting to know. He just put two screws on the inside, and two on the faceplate and used slyles of flatbar.

now to put that plan into action, i just have to finish the helmet. I was actually just outside doing another layer of fiberglass on the left side of the helmet. I will most likely get more pics up within the next day or two.

my next step is buy some bondo and start to make it smoother. I am also going to start the arms or legs soon. Any preferences on which should be started first? I dont know, so if you guys have any lean towards the arms or legs, let me know, because I really dont know.

and the helmet is looking amazing so far, thats why i need to get that stupid camera fixed.

one more thing, If you have any questions about iron man, or anything about the costuming or what not, you can ask me, I will answer all that I can. If you have questions on how to make some things work, I am in school for mechanical engineering, so I am training to learn how things work, and how to make them work.

IC

id say start on the arms first. simply cause i want to see the lights on the gauntlets and i think they would be a lot more fun to read about. ha. i plan on eventually doing an iron man suit, and yours will probably heavily influence how i build mine, if thats okay. keep up the good work and buy a new camera! :D

flipboy439 said:
id say start on the arms first. simply cause i want to see the lights on the gauntlets and i think they would be a lot more fun to read about. ha. i plan on eventually doing an iron man suit, and yours will probably heavily influence how i build mine, if thats okay. keep up the good work and buy a new camera! :D

will do.

and from your tip, I began construction on my gauntlets today, along with the fore arms. I dont know if I will be able to finish these by halloween, but I am going to try. The helmet Is done with fiberglassing and now just waiting for bondo.

IC

Well here are some progress pics.

I have to bondo the helmet.

I have started the gloves.

I am about to start the chest piece.

questions or comments?

Photo10.jpg

Photo11.jpg

Photo12.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Photo3.jpg

Photo4.jpg

Photo5.jpg

Photo6.jpg

Photo7.jpg

Photo8.jpg

Photo9.jpg

When people first started building Iron man costumes, I had never read the comics or reall known anything about iron man So I looke and I was like wow a little on the geeky side....Then I watched the movie and think its awesome :D plus youre doing an excellent job looks really good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back