2nd Iron Man Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking very good there sir. I like how you figured out how to make the gloves...i could never figure it out sadly. Cant wait to see this completed :D

I do believe most cast the gloves in a tough smooth-on style product, rubber basically. Making them look ridged but flexible enough to handle any...handling.

Looks good so far, no time yet for an IronMan project of my own..but I will live vicariously through others.!

Astarith said:
I do believe most cast the gloves in a tough smooth-on style product, rubber basically. Making them look ridged but flexible enough to handle any...handling.

Looks good so far, no time yet for an IronMan project of my own..but I will live vicariously through others.!

Also lets not forget that 99% of the time we see Robert wearing the suit in the movie, its not really him but a CG character instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
CPU64 said:
Also lets not forget that 99% of the time we see Robert wearing the suit in the movie, its not really him but a CG character instead.

very true CPU64, but there are certain parts where Downey Jr. is actually wearing a suit. It is composed of over 400 parts and all the flexible parts as in elbows, fingers, knees, and abdominal area are cast rubber or silicon. They then used a metalic paint so it would shine like metal and what not. I am planning on making the different parts, then making the molds. After that, will be casting, most of the suit out of plastic and maybe even cold cast aluminium, then the rest out of rubber so It will be flexible and what not. I even had a random idea to make the part under the chestpiece out of metal parts and what not. I do not know for sure yet... but, some key components of my suit will be able to move, and be like the movie when the flaps move, the boots extend for flight, the rocket pod comes out. I have already began the designing process of how to do all htis, but I have a lot of work ahead of me.

IC

Ironclover said:
very true CPU64, but there are certain parts where Downey Jr. is actually wearing a suit. It is composed of over 400 parts and all the flexible parts as in elbows, fingers, knees, and abdominal area are cast rubber or silicon. They then used a metalic paint so it would shine like metal and what not. I am planning on making the different parts, then making the molds. After that, will be casting, most of the suit out of plastic and maybe even cold cast aluminium, then the rest out of rubber so It will be flexible and what not. I even had a random idea to make the part under the chestpiece out of metal parts and what not. I do not know for sure yet... but, some key components of my suit will be able to move, and be like the movie when the flaps move, the boots extend for flight, the rocket pod comes out. I have already began the designing process of how to do all htis, but I have a lot of work ahead of me.

IC

Yeah, 475 parts I think.. One of the best parts of the bonus feature was the ILM section.. I ♥ that place :D

Just remember one thing when considering metal parts to the suit. Iron Man has a Arc Reactor powering his suit and the suit has servos and such to make it move and take the weight. Don't overload yourself with weight. Remember that you need to be able to wear this thing. :D

UNSC_Leatherneck said:
Just remember one thing when considering metal parts to the suit. Iron Man has a Arc Reactor powering his suit and the suit has servos and such to make it move and take the weight. Don't overload yourself with weight. Remember that you need to be able to wear this thing. :D

very true. well maybe, just maybe, for display purposes, I can cast full metal one, and have it on a life size maniquin, that could be cool. but for the main wearable one, make it out of cast plastic and rubber. If I decide to do a mark 2 version, then I will have to do the cold cast aluminium, which is actually plastic with the aluminium powder just mixed in, so in that thought, It might not be tooo heavy... haha... well I have began cutting out the chest piece, and it is looking interesting. I need to drive to home depot and pick up some bondo, then I can finish the helmet. and a dremel tool.

IC

I loves this...

Everytime a cardboard prop is made everyone says "not bad FOR CARDBOARD"

*sigh* those words burn my eyes. They will forever.

STOP PICKING ON THE GOD'S MATERIAL!!!

Anyway more times that not, it ends up looking better than some things that are Peped! (if finished)

Great job, can't wait to see it painted.

I like Iron man but I can't beat the fact that when you walk down the high way as iron man people through food at you but when you walk down the high way as MC people either take pics or run and hide in fear ^^ great job!

thank you for all the comments and what not.

I havnt made the most progress in the past week because I have been preparing for a calculus mid term...

no bueno.

If anyone has some really good reference pics of the metal chest piece that is actually under the outershell, that would be great, I would like to take a look at it. I may get interested enough to make that....

IC

I got kinda bored today, so I began busting out some of the chestpiece.
Photo2.jpg

Photo3.jpg

Photo4.jpg

Photo5.jpg

Photo6.jpg

So the chest has begun. This is just the first outer layer, with one of the rib components attached.

IC

Here is more progress on the chestpiece.

I have began to start th back, and the shoulderblade structure. The inner edge is up, and standing well. This goes all the way to the front of the neck.

Photo3-1.jpg

Photo4-1.jpg

Photo5-1.jpg

Photo6-1.jpg

Any questions, just let me know.

IC

Jax Archillies said:
yes
since this is mk2 for you. will you repaint mk1 silver?

:p

haha, well...

I am going to make molds of all the pieces, so I can pop out a couple copies... maybe make a mk2 (silver)... but I have to do a mk3

IC

may i has one please

haha awesome job on it so far. Looks like the final product will be one helluva awesome build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back