2nd Master Chief Suit (COMPLETED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LastSpartan said:
How hard should be the clay? Medium?

And how do you smooth it? Can you sand it?

Well I'm going to experiment with the hand pieces before I go casting the helmet. But I'm just using potter's clay. Specifically the cheapest studio clay I could buy. It's $7.50 a bag. I just smoothed it with tools while sculpting. I'm keeping it wet / moist before I cast it incase I need to make changes like I did last night.

I don't think sanding it would do anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
papamurf812 said:
How're you going to make the cast with wet clay?

After talking to the guy at the pottery store, you can make a cast of clay that is wet. Well its not soaking wet, but its still plyable, you can still work it. The problem is, the helmet is so big that firing it would cause it to break, there are probably air bubbles but it is also waaay too thick. probably 2-3 inches in some places.

Mad Cow said:
After talking to the guy at the pottery store, you can make a cast of clay that is wet. Well its not soaking wet, but its still plyable, you can still work it. The problem is, the helmet is so big that firing it would cause it to break, there are probably air bubbles but it is also waaay too thick. probably 2-3 inches in some places.
Awesome any updates? Your like the 6th best armor on the site goes like this.

1. Leadingspartan (sarcasm)

1. Bluerealm/Adam

2. Sean/Link

3. You.

Leadingspartan said:
Awesome any updates?

Not much has been done in the last two days. I've been super busy with work and all. I should get a decent amount of progress done this weekend. Hopefully have a fiberglass helmet to show off! (thanks for the compliment as well :) )

I started cutting my BR out of wood today with the band-saw. Unfortunately I haven't taken any pictures of that. (the cut wood) but I do have a few pics to show.

The second picture is of the hand guard. I sculpted that up real fast to test out plaster casting while I wait for silicone. (Yeah i'm bored! lol) I took the clay out of the plaster and the mold looks great. Gotta let it completely dry and hopefully I'll have my first piece of the armor ready for sanding tomorrow.

The third and fourth pictures are of the gloves I have.

They are very nice, comfy and are tactical shooting gloves.

http://www.uscavalry.com/productinfo.aspx?...492&tabID=1

I bought my gloves at a local gun store.

Its hard to get casting supplies in Idaho... but not guns! lol

My avatar is my first halo suit I made in 2004 for the launch of halo 2. http://josiahpeters.com/mc

---------------------------------------------

No double posting here! A couple of pictures of the hand piece mold and one of them casted in fiberglass.

---------------------------------------------

I've got a couple pictures of my BR

what did you use to make the mold. Also just another question. i have reacumulate funds and was wondering if resin without fiberglass cloth would be strong enough for a helmet? Great work mad cow, love it.

I realy hope this means you'll start using the molds and selling the models!!

That would be awesome. (y) ...and id buy: on one condition...if its not like $1,000,000.00

You get the point
lol

GREAT WORK!!
:not worthy:

LastSpartan said:
No, resin without cloth, is useless. It don't add any strengh(sp?).
So would i pour a layer of resin in and the the cloth layers then bondo the outside to make it extra smooth?
Also, mad cow, was that hand peice solid resin or did it have cloth?

Spartan-104 said:
So would i pour a layer of resin in and the the cloth layers then bondo the outside to make it extra smooth?

You don't pour it, you brush it. And I wouldn't put bondo.

Spartan-104 said:

I took soapy water and brushed it in the mold, dried it with a hair dryer. I did this twice. (the soap acted as my mold release)

After that I mixed a 1 oz of resin (enough for the hand piece) and brushed it into the mold.
I waited about 10 minutes and I tore up the fiber glass sheets and put fiberglass all over the mold.
I brushed that into the mold with another batch of 1oz of resin. (it doesnt take much resin to cover all the glass)
I did a second coat of fiberglass and resin, I waited about an hour for it to cure most of the way and popped it out.

I'll try and take more pictures of me doing the helmet to better explain the glassing process.

--------------

A few more pictures of the BR. I added some of the triangular detail to the side with a chisel. Also the BR with my old suit helmet. (pre-halo 2 launch)

LastSpartan said:
You don't pour it, you brush it. And I wouldn't put bondo.
so no body filler. got it. Mad Cow, nice wooden BR im working on a wooden MA5K hope mine looks as good as yours.

Spartan-104 said:
so no body filler. got it. Mad Cow, nice wooden BR im working on a wooden MA5K hope mine looks as good as yours.

I will be using body filler (bondo) to fill in minor imperfections on my fiberglass pieces...
for the wood BR i'll be using wood putty to fill in any gaps or make minor detail bumps
and thanks :)

omgz teh sculpting...

hopefully I'll be making my molds of these pieces tomorrow. with 3 days left its GG crunch time...

some pics,

chest / backpack
thigh
boots to come
and priming of the Battle Rifle

hopefully before I go to bed I'll have the boot finished........................................................................

oh right, my helmet is cast and all fiberglassy :) , i'll post pics when i clean it up a bit

-Cow

Mad Cow said:
omgz teh sculpting...

hopefully I'll be making my molds of these pieces tomorrow. with 3 days left its GG crunch time...

some pics,

chest / backpack
thigh
boots to come
and priming of the Battle Rifle

hopefully before I go to bed I'll have the boot finished........................................................................
oh right, my helmet is cast and all fiberglassy :) , i'll post pics when i clean it up a bit

-Cow
Blue Realm Has alot of competition now. Love the chest plate.

so i have the process

make a mold out of clay

then you make a silicone cast over it

then use the resin fiberglass

is that correct,

my question is if your using soft clay how are you making your silicone mold around the big pieces like the chest and back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back