2nd Master Chief Suit (COMPLETED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've managed to pry myself from Halo 3 long enough to make a post.

The place I've been building my suit, my parents house, was about 30 minutes from the place I pre-ordered my copy of halo 3. They wanted me there at 9ish on launch night to play in the halo tournament before the launch. So what I got completed up until the launch was:

PAINTED
======
Chest
Helmet
Groin
right and left hand piece
battle rifle

CASTED
======
Back (was still drying)
left shoulder
left forearm
left thigh
left shin
left foot
right foot

I ran out of time :( I came pretty close but didnt quite make it.

In the 1st picture I am showing the chest right before we made the mold.

In the second picture you can see the plaster chest mold, the back piece mold. Up top are the helmet and chest piece, along with the groin plate painted. the pieces towards the bottom of the picture are all casted, washed and mostly trimmed.

It was unfortunate to see the suit not get finished before the launch of Halo 3. And halo 3 will definitely cut into my freetime ;) I do plan to work on it some this weekend and have it completely finished for Halloween.

Once I get the rest of the pieces casted I'll try and get a picture of the whole suit together, even if it isnt painted.

I'm kinda bummed the helmet I made doesnt look exactly like the legendary edition. I may take the dremel to mine and cut the jaw off and lower it so there is more visor room. My helmet is a bit short.

I'll be back with more later on... along with randomly posting pictures.

-Cow

LOL sup /b/

Step 1: Mold
Step 2: Paint
Step 3: Wear
Step 4: ???
Step 5: PROFIT!

Whenever I use that in real life people ask me how I could possible make money off of mundane things.

Hmm, heres a question.

Is it worth making a hard body cast, or is saran wrap and packing tape easier?

Doesn't the saran rap collapse in on itself?

cBass said:
Hmm, heres a question.

Is it worth making a hard body cast, or is saran wrap and packing tape easier?

Doesn't the saran rap collapse in on itself?

I think its better to make a hard body cast. I didn't make the packing tape thick enough and it did collapse on itself. I ended up painting fiberglass and resin over the chest piece to make it hard enough.

-----------

I didnt like how stubby the helmet I made looked so I cut in in half and re-glassed it back together. More visor shows now and it looks a lot nicer. I may end up chopping some width off of the visor now too... I'm slowly getting back to working on it, but not next week, GF is visiting from out of town :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mad Cow said:
I think its better to make a hard body cast. I didn't make the packing tape thick enough and it did collapse on itself. I ended up painting fiberglass and resin over the chest piece to make it hard enough.
-----------

I didnt like how stubby the helmet I made looked so I cut in in half and re-glassed it back together. More visor shows now and it looks a lot nicer. I may end up chopping some width off of the visor now too... I'm slowly getting back to working on it, but not next week, GF is visiting from out of town :)

Hmm, hard body cast it is. My only problem is after I'm done and plastered and it's hard, what do I do then?

So I almost finished my suit for the Halo 3 launch. I rushed it as fast as I could and got the back, chest, groin and helmet pieces cast by the morning of the 25th, sadly I didn't finish.

The problem was, Halo 3 was out... 500 games later and I'm back to working on the suit. I'm almost done too!!! Here's a teaser I tried on one entire half of the suit to make sure the pieces fit.... lol Here's what it looks like

Hopefully done in time for halloween.

Mad Cow said:
Well I've finished my sculpting of the helmet. All that is left to do is smooth it out, make a mold and cast it with fiberglass and resin. Most places are closed on Sunday so I'll hopefully getting my casting plaster soon. I'll keep posting pics.

Feedback is always appreciated :)

-Cow

i love your process of creating the helmet very nice work man

Great costume dude! Seeing the process shows eveyone how much real effort and dedication it takes to complete that armor.

I'm done! YAY!!!

5:30am this morning...

PA313009-875.jpg

PA313011-875.jpg

PA313012-875.jpg

PA312999-875.jpg

PA313006-875.jpg

Leadingspartan said:
Looks like bluerealm has some competition. Good luck.

no it doesnt. why does everyone say that about every slightly decent clay helmet? Bluerealm's are next in line to perfect. Every thing else is holding up the end of the line.

how much did it cost ya? and also would you reckon plaster of paris or just plaster 2 do the job i looked at ur hand guard mold and i thought would it work cause if it does i would probably use plaster of paris (i dont have alot of money im only 12 okay)

damasterchief said:
how much did it cost ya? and also would you reckon plaster of paris or just plaster 2 do the job i looked at ur hand guard mold and i thought would it work cause if it does i would probably use plaster of paris (i dont have alot of money im only 12 okay)

Total I spent about $600 in supplies, tarps and drop lighting. The plaster I bought was "HydroCal" which I bought from a pottery store. It is a finer plaster which means it fills in detail better, it also contains a portion of gypsum cement which makes it harder and better for casting molds. I would avoid the crappy plaster. I think I only spent about $25 for a 50lbs bag of HydroCal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back