3D modeling and foam armour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonkage

I realy wanted to post this in the Modeling Forum, but apparantly I dont have enough kudos :(

I realy need tips on scaling in 3ds max, because my model doesnt look right when I change the coordinates to how I want. for example my measurements seem fine when i use the measure tool, but when im applying a modifier like shell it says its only 1cm but looks huge. Its realy biting into my workflow.

Heres what im building at the moment
photo.php

Also is there an alternative to pep, (again with the scaling) its bloody annoying hoe pep recales it all to 1 a4 page.

I have no experience with max so I can't help there unfortunately :(

Are you trying to rescale it as a whole or just parts? If you get the overall dimensions correct in max then just use the rescale in pepakura. Reason being, in pepakura you only need 1 measurement, ie: height or width. and it will keep everything else scaled to that. I'm sure you probably know this already but on the slim chance you didn't I'm hoping it may make it easier on you.

Also, I checked your fb page and think your helmet looks pretty darn good!

may want to look through the 3d modelling section for tutorials. Or if you feel like it's necisary that you need to, you can always try the mentor program, it's stickied up in the noob forum. I don't have ANY clue how to work any modelling programs. Hope this helps.

Seth

I realy wanted to post this in the Modeling Forum, but apparantly I dont have enough kudos :(

I realy need tips on scaling in 3ds max, because my model doesnt look right when I change the coordinates to how I want. for example my measurements seem fine when i use the measure tool, but when im applying a modifier like shell it says its only 1cm but looks huge. Its realy biting into my workflow.

Heres what im building at the moment
photo.php

Sounds like you're just having a units issue. I'm not great in Max, but very proficient in Maya, the units are easier there and I can maybe give you a hand if you export it there via FBX

Okay, so in 3ds max, I have metric unit scale and build everything to centimeters. I use 1cm thickness for standard EVA foam floor mats, and 2/5mm for the craft foam detail pieces.

If your measurements are okay but the modifiers seem to do bad things when set to proper values, then you may have some scaling on the object.
For example if you scale up something 300%, then that is applied at the end of the object's modifier stack (I'm simplifying stuff here). So even if you set the Shell modifier to 1cm, it's applied before the scaling and thus the apparent thickness will be 3cm.
Solution: remove all modifiers, and from the utility panel, use the Reset Transform tool. Then convert your object back to an editable poly or collapse the stack. You can now add the Shell modifier back and it'll work correctly.

In Pepakura Designer, when I start the unfold, I set it to Manual and use a scale of 10.0 so it won't rescale anything to incorrect sizes.

Works relatively well so far - sometimes edge lengths on curved parts don't match up perfectly, but nothing serious...

You should scale your model first in amx before putting a shell modifier on it. It just seems thick because your model is very small.
If your settings are in cm then actually think the x,y and z dimensions in max are in cm. this way a 1 cm shell will actually be 1 cm.

Oh and pepakura doesn't read scale out of your 3d data. Even if it has the smallest scale the object will always fill your screen.

Got some great advice, so thanks to all for taking the time to answer my questions, ill let you know hot it went :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back