3D Printed Carbine and Armor Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! Carbine by far, is my most favorite weapon to use in all of the halo games. I love it soooo much!!!!!! :D
Personally, I don't like to actually use it in-game very much, but it definitely is one of the coolest looking weapons in the series

Personally, I don't like to actually use it in-game very much, but it definitely is one of the coolest looking weapons in the series

How come hahah, it was cool to see the carbine get an auto variant and a needler variant in warzone lolol

Update, A little sad one, but not too bad. I pieced together the gun with two peices left, and i was able to attach the barrel to the main body.
IMG_1240_zpsl69y3wdk.jpg

When i held the gun, it was obvious about how big the gun was too big. Im going to step back into the planning phase to figure out proper scaling and sizing, so stay tuned. Not giving up yet hahah

*EDIT*
I did quick scale check, and Chief without armor is 6'10 (208.28 cm), according to the halo wiki, and 5'8 (172.72 cm). So i turned that into inches, then divided chiefs height by mine and got 1.20. So i then took the carbine length, which is 50 inches (127 cm), and divided that by 1.20, which yielded 41.6 inches (105.6 cm)

So, my question is, would the subtracted 4 (101.6 cm) inches really make a differnece on the other scaled piece?

Last edited:
Dat1Darkrai, It looks FANTASTIC!!!! Keep in mind, Covi weapons, especially the carbine, are much larger than human weapons, even for a Spartan.

Dat1Darkrai, It looks FANTASTIC!!!! Keep in mind, Covi weapons, especially the carbine, are much larger than human weapons, even for a Spartan.

Thanks! What i may end up doing is, throwing on all the armor, then seeing how big the carbine looks then, cause i know some armor cosplays can make you look bigger then you actually are.
For now, here is a photo with me holding it without armor on to get a idea of the size of it to me.
IMG_1244_zps7kdwfafd.jpg

nah....you got to suit up for the full effect. Even w/ that huge chunk missing, it looks great.

nah....you got to suit up for the full effect. Even w/ that huge chunk missing, it looks great.

Ok! I will be able to do that later today. I need someone to help me suit up and all my available help is not home right now hahahah

How come hahah, it was cool to see the carbine get an auto variant and a needler variant in warzone lolol
I just always preferred using guns like the BR/DMR/Magnum. Even though the carbine is a pretty good gun, it just always felt sort of weak to me.

I did quick scale check, and Chief without armor is 6'10 (208.28 cm), according to the halo wiki, and 5'8 (172.72 cm). So i turned that into inches, then divided chiefs height by mine and got 1.20. So i then took the carbine length, which is 50 inches (127 cm), and divided that by 1.20, which yielded 41.6 inches (105.6 cm)

So, my question is, would the subtracted 4 (101.6 cm) inches really make a differnece on the other scaled piece?

Yes, 4" in one direction is a big difference. I think you are spot on with your revised scaling method. I myself am 82% the size of MC and therefore scale my pieces accordingly. As for what you printed, it looks fantastic! And it is not too big, it's pretty big though. :)

Yes, 4" in one direction is a big difference. I think you are spot on with your revised scaling method. I myself am 82% the size of MC and therefore scale my pieces accordingly. As for what you printed, it looks fantastic! And it is not too big, it's pretty big though. :)

What i was honestly thinking about doing, is just using my bandsaw to cut out an inch in 4 separate areas where it wont affect detail to much, and then maybe cutting an inch out height wise along the whole thing and then just going to town with bondo to fix up the seams and make it all flow together correctly. Is that a possibility?
IMG_1250%20edit_zpshuo4jpb9.jpg

(colored lines are lines are the cut lines)

I just always preferred using guns like the BR/DMR/Magnum. Even though the carbine is a pretty good gun, it just always felt sort of weak to me.

The DMR is definitely my go to out of those three, BUT when im playing swat, I can go all out with the BR. I dont understand sometimes how people can just straight up gun you down with the magnum only, when you have a BR or DMR lol

I think it turned out way too good to hack it up now. I would think, primer it, sand it, paint it, play with it. If you don't like the feel of it after you've walked around with it for awhile then maybe reprint it. I just see hacking it up and trying to make it look good again being a lot more work than reprinting.

*edit: Plus this is your favorite gun! You telling me you are going to like it just as much after you chop up the proportions?

I would honestly keep it as-is. it would add a cool factor if you stowed it on your back, and then printed a DMR to carry around. Kaween has a good DMR model in the FFA series.

I think it turned out way too good to hack it up now. I would think, primer it, sand it, paint it, play with it. If you don't like the feel of it after you've walked around with it for awhile then maybe reprint it. I just see hacking it up and trying to make it look good again being a lot more work than reprinting.

*edit: Plus this is your favorite gun! You telling me you are going to like it just as much after you chop up the proportions?

Yeah, it's an idea im bouncing around right now mainly just cause bondo is such an easy thing to work with for me and sanding and making bondo look nice is kinda therapeutic for some odd reason xD

I would honestly keep it as-is. it would add a cool factor if you stowed it on your back, and then printed a DMR to carry around. Kaween has a good DMR model in the FFA series.

That would be cool as all heck! Only thing is, i printing the back butt of the gun with 10% infill and it gave it some weight, so magnets wouldnt really hold it all too well.

BUT! I have yet to don the armor and hold the gun, so once i can do that, then i will decide what next i should take is!

The DMR is definitely my go to out of those three, BUT when im playing swat, I can go all out with the BR. I dont understand sometimes how people can just straight up gun you down with the magnum only, when you have a BR or DMR lol
I'm the guy who'd be doing that. I essentially only play FFA, and am high Onyx tier, so I've gotten really good with the halo 5 magnum. It's probably my favorite gun in the series, rivaled only by the halo 2 battle rifle.

I'm the guy who'd be doing that. I essentially only play FFA, and am high Onyx tier, so I've gotten really good with the halo 5 magnum. It's probably my favorite gun in the series, rivaled only by the halo 2 battle rifle.

The halo 2 BR was neat addition to the game. Its one of my go to's when all the power weapons are picked up

Ok everyone! moment of truth! I was able to finally get all the armor pieces while holding the carbine. I was also able to get the pics
IMG_1856_zpshvwtua6j.jpg

IMG_1857_zpscwyzdcmf.jpg

IMG_1859%202_zpsp5bekemh.jpg

IMG_1860_zpshabtj5sa.jpg

Ignore the elastic on the back of the knees, i was too lazy to put them through the suit xD

Even if you end up making a scaled down one to carry around I would finish this one. Perfect size to be hung on a wall, be a hell of a display piece. Scaling is tough, I know I still struggle with that aspect of building.

Well, people with 3D printers don't really have a good excuse to be battling with scaling issues when it comes to props. The only thing you do is to create a center slice of the prop, 2 mm thick, and print that to the scale you hope would fit. It will be printed pretty fast, and you'll have a perfect reference part telling you exactly how the full part will behave.

Don't want to do that ?

If you'd do a prop in any other manner, I'd suppose you'd do exactly the same : take a piece of cardboard, draw it out and see what fits you. Then start scaling to your needs and create the thing in whatever material you chose and in the case of a 3D print, scale the full part in one go and then slice it up to fit your machine. That is the best way to avoid "oopsies" during the process.

It's not because it's 3D printing that this suddenly can't be be done prior to printing stuff out no ? :D

That being said, I would have no issues using a prop that size. Is it big ? Yes it is. Is it supposed to be big ? Yes it is. Does your hand fit in the grip ? It does, perfectly I might add.
I don't see the problem.

Clearly on the picture : Neither does Tigger, as he shows he's over the moon by the display of your armour and weapon. Always trust the judgement of felines when it comes to looking good, they're born to look good so they know about this stuff. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back