3d Printed Mk V Armor (**Build Starts Page 2**)

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by ADAWG99, Jun 27, 2014.

1. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

I finished cutting out and assembling my Mk. V helmet. I couldn't upload a picture of it so I will probably do that today. I will soon start making the rest of the armor.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  2. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

Here it is. My mark 5 helmet. I have kind of a big head.

[​IMG]

3. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

4 more armor pieces done gluing. 3 if I decide to redo a thigh piece. No pics yet.

4. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

So here is an armor progress picture. So far with the gluing stage I have completed the helmet, the right bicep, right forearm, chest, codpiece, both handplates, and part of the back.

[​IMG]

I did the right thigh earlier but it was too small so I will redo it.

5. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

I completed the back and a boot.

[​IMG]

All I have left to do is the thighs, a boot, and a left arm

[​IMG]

6. n8four

n8four New Member

Looking good so far. A little advice on sanding, the more aggressive the sand paper the more bondo it takes off per pass. Get a low grit sand paper to start with to take out the bulk, and increase the grit as you get to more detail. A file can save a lot of time too as they will offer an even more aggressive approach. Practice and time will help you greatly.

I know people can get really excited about working on these kind of projects but just remember that the more preparation you put into your work, the better the outcome will be. It will also save you time.

7. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

So I decided to take a break from paper crafting and resin the outside of my mark 5 biceps. Hopefully the suit will be done in time for halloween. I've also resined the hand plates. I couldn't find files for them so I just made them out of cardboard.

8. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

Almost done with my magnum

9. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

Here it is

[​IMG]

10. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

So it's been a while since i've last posted. I've been busy starting to fiberglass and also I was very sick about a week or two ago.

11. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

IMG_20141228_113300.jpg IMG_20141228_113227.jpg So it's been a few months since I've posted here. I have slowed down and I have decided to take my time and make sure I build things right the first time.

UPDATES:
    IMG_20141228_113300.jpg
    IMG_20141228_113227.jpg
    Had to rebuild chest + space underwear out of cardboard because they were falling apart.
    View attachment 5559

12. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

Greetings 405th!

It’s been four or so years since I’ve been consistently on this site. In 2014 I had a dream of having a halo suit. I was 14, quite naïve, and hadn’t done enough research. This thread is littered with my sloppy bondo work, false promises, and choppy sentences. The best work I’d done was pepping a suit but before I could finish fiberglassing it, a pipe burst in my basement which destroyed the armor. Since then I’ve improved my skill well, but I’m willing to say that there are some things I can’t do well (fiberglassing being one of them). I’m ready to revive this thread in a sense but need friendly advice and encouragement! I have a 3d printer now and I’m well prepared to print a full suit but will be patient when suggestion and thoughtful critique is given. I’d like to start with just the helmet and if I can do that well, I’ll do a full suit.

Here we go! A small test before anything full-scale is done (thanks to Jace1969 on thingiverse for the 3d file):

Attached Files:

13. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

B6541A88-06B9-4974-886A-3688CC94148C.jpeg A5542E3C-6B1E-4B52-B359-A833C045F05A.jpeg Printing the helmet full-scale now! 24 hours in and almost a tenth of the way complete.

Some food for thought:
    -20% infill
    -.2mm layer height
    -Will use over 3 kg of filament
    -printing diagonally on a 400mm^3 print bed (just barely fits)

Ideally I would have oriented the print to use less supports and thus less filament, however doing so would have made it so the brim of the helmet wouldn’t fit in the bed. Any questions, ask away :)

14. Connor C

Connor C New Member

3d printing sounds great, but what if you cant, what can you use to build your armor?

15. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Keeper of Con Lists Community Staff

ADAWG99, you're doing the whole helmet in 1 go? Ambitious. Good luck and looking forward to seeing this completed. I wish I had a 3D printer.....scratch that...I wish I knew how to use a 3D printer in order to get one......I'm a Technosaurus.

16. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

There are a number of ways to do it. A very popular option is to make it out of paper and fiberglass it. Foam also works. I'm only 3d printing because that's what works for me.

Turns out I was a little over-ambitious. :lol: The print started having layer shifting about a third of the way through and I had to stop the print. I'm trying a new mk v file (the halo 4 version I think) split into four sections. It is printing a lot easier and with less supports, but I was hoping to have something that I wouldn't have to glue together at all. However, a piece is already done printing and it's coming out great. Not giving up on this four-year-old thread just yet! IMG_0668.JPG

Dirtdives likes this.
  17. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

All four helmet pieces done printing. Next step...gluing! BBC4DD8D-DD30-4131-AD9F-924D4D0D7F69.jpeg 71B3751D-6F47-4B66-9399-30E85D6AE239.jpeg

Dirtdives and xXDashIVXx like this.
  18. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

3D305426-81E9-458F-96D2-B4D08F4B87F3.jpeg All glued together except for the back piece (neck seal). The geometry of the helmet doesn’t allow you to pop your head in as the opening is much too small. I suppose magnets could work or maybe a rubber neck seal like impact props did (though that would require much more work). Open to more suggestions!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Dirtdives likes this.
  19. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Member

Depending on the application, I sometimes use hot glue on stretch fabric along the seams to allow the armor to open up slightly and close behind you.

20. ADAWG99

ADAWG99 Jr Member

Any chance anyone could convert a game asset into something 3d printable. Theres a package here: PC / Computer - Halo: Combat Evolved - Master Chief - The Models Resource
    I am trying to take the "MC First Person" model, strip away the undersuit, and (for now) make the forearms, and handplates into something 3d printable. My problem is I have not a single clue on how to add wall thickness to a complex model that doesn't have it. Believe me, I've looked up how and tried, but I cannot for the life of me do it properly. Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 9.52.37 PM.png

Small Update on the helmet:
    Bought some 1" split wooden maple balls on amazon to replace the low poly ones on the cheeks. They fit perfectly. Got the idea from impact props' build.
    IMG_0756.jpg

Dirtdives and xXDashIVXx like this.