ADAWG99's 3D Printed Mk V Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you.

Anytime. Also, when posting a new reply when no one has commented after your post, unless it's an update with pictures and such, you can go to the bottom right of your latest post and hit Edit Post. This way you keep your thread a bit cleaner and it doesn't fill up the "What's New" page of the forum. (It's also a minor violation of forum regulations to have double+ posts unless updating with progression pictures OR your previous post exceeds the picture and/or character limit.)

Anyways, keep up the good work, Spartan!

I finished cutting out and assembling my Mk. V helmet. I couldn't upload a picture of it so I will probably do that today. I will soon start making the rest of the armor.

Last edited:
Here it is. My mark 5 helmet. I have kind of a big head.

Last edited:
4 more armor pieces done gluing. 3 if I decide to redo a thigh piece. No pics yet.

Last edited:
So here is an armor progress picture. So far with the gluing stage I have completed the helmet, the right bicep, right forearm, chest, codpiece, both handplates, and part of the back.

I did the right thigh earlier but it was too small so I will redo it.

Last edited:
I completed the back and a boot.

All I have left to do is the thighs, a boot, and a left arm

Looking good so far. A little advice on sanding, the more aggressive the sand paper the more bondo it takes off per pass. Get a low grit sand paper to start with to take out the bulk, and increase the grit as you get to more detail. A file can save a lot of time too as they will offer an even more aggressive approach. Practice and time will help you greatly.

I know people can get really excited about working on these kind of projects but just remember that the more preparation you put into your work, the better the outcome will be. It will also save you time.

So I decided to take a break from paper crafting and resin the outside of my mark 5 biceps. Hopefully the suit will be done in time for halloween. I've also resined the hand plates. I couldn't find files for them so I just made them out of cardboard.

Last edited:
So it's been a while since i've last posted. I've been busy starting to fiberglass and also I was very sick about a week or two ago.

Last edited:
IMG_20141228_113300.jpg
IMG_20141228_113227.jpg
So it's been a few months since I've posted here. I have slowed down and I have decided to take my time and make sure I build things right the first time.

UPDATES:
IMG_20141228_113300.jpg
IMG_20141228_113227.jpg
Had to rebuild chest + space underwear out of cardboard because they were falling apart.
View attachment 5559

Last edited:
Greetings 405th!

It’s been four or so years since I’ve been consistently on this site. In 2014 I had a dream of having a halo suit. I was 14, quite naïve, and hadn’t done enough research. This thread is littered with my sloppy bondo work, false promises, and choppy sentences. The best work I’d done was pepping a suit but before I could finish fiberglassing it, a pipe burst in my basement which destroyed the armor. Since then I’ve improved my skill well, but I’m willing to say that there are some things I can’t do well (fiberglassing being one of them). I’m ready to revive this thread in a sense but need friendly advice and encouragement! I have a 3d printer now and I’m well prepared to print a full suit but will be patient when suggestion and thoughtful critique is given. I’d like to start with just the helmet and if I can do that well, I’ll do a full suit.

Here we go! A small test before anything full-scale is done (thanks to Jace1969 on thingiverse for the 3d file):

Attachments

• 0A480D68-4FDC-4224-8F3E-27C350DA06BB.jpeg
    0A480D68-4FDC-4224-8F3E-27C350DA06BB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 321
B6541A88-06B9-4974-886A-3688CC94148C.jpeg
A5542E3C-6B1E-4B52-B359-A833C045F05A.jpeg
Printing the helmet full-scale now! 24 hours in and almost a tenth of the way complete.

Some food for thought:
-20% infill
-.2mm layer height
-Will use over 3 kg of filament
-printing diagonally on a 400mm^3 print bed (just barely fits)

Ideally I would have oriented the print to use less supports and thus less filament, however doing so would have made it so the brim of the helmet wouldn’t fit in the bed. Any questions, ask away :)

ADAWG99, you're doing the whole helmet in 1 go? Ambitious. Good luck and looking forward to seeing this completed. I wish I had a 3D printer.....scratch that...I wish I knew how to use a 3D printer in order to get one......I'm a Technosaurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back