3D Printed ODST Journey (Starts Now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
that print looks clean as hell! great work so far!

Thanks! But i think some 3D printer geeks might disagree with you here, since i didn't print it in good resolution, and had a few Heat bed and nozzle injection problems. I tried to make up for it with the sanding stage since I don't know how long is considered safe prints for my printer.

Thanks! But i think some 3D printer geeks might disagree with you here, since i didn't print it in good resolution, and had a few Heat bed and nozzle injection problems. I tried to make up for it with the sanding stage since I don't know how long is considered safe prints for my printer.
well it looks better than my few attempts! haha

Yeah the resolution isn't super great, but holy crap, man. Nice work with the sanding phase. One of my pet peeves going through 3D printed projects is seeing people just paint fresh prints or do minimal sanding where you can still see the striations. The "I made one" section of Thingiverse is the bane of my existence, lol. Excellent sanding work though, dude.

Completely remodelled the game 3D asset for the centre chestpiece, to make it more accurate to Landfall ODST's

chestplate.png

Currently going to model the centre torso plate since it's completely different to the ones already made here.

Nearly 7 hours later and finally done the waist... Damn I'm a slow worker. :C
waist.png

I may release all the files once I model every single part.

*UPDATE*

I looked back at references and didn't want to let it go. I noticed some things are straight 90 degree angles but appeared to be curved on my original reference image. I also made the centre two piece. One for a vacuumforming base, and the other a castable resin piece (Since i wanted fast armor making, but detail at the same time. I put a locating object so the 'castable piece' can be easily glued onto place without having to make measurements to find the centre and so the glue you might use is soft, doesn't slide the centre piece off.

odst weta.png

*sorta update*

I'm going to hold off on this project for about a month. I will slowly continue the 3D modelling, but in regards to the 3d printed stuff, In order to do that efficiently, I need a proper workspace. Basically, I didn't have one in the first place. All I did was 3D print inside, go outside sit on the pavement and start sanding/priming, which is a nuisance considering Australia gets up to extremely hot temperatures and sitting on concrete isn't healthy apparently.

This comes with good news though. I'm getting a workplace finally. I'm expecting a 6 x 3 x 2 metre shed by next week, and will be focusing on getting it organised, benches, shelves, booths and all. Expecting a proper paint station too so I don't ruin the paintjob with my hands or dust that's heavily built around my house (some recycling centre a couple of blocks down really throws the dust in the air)

Last edited:
Been away for quite a while

This is where I left it:

I just have to re-learn blender
Weta ver. odst side hip.png

odst weta maybe.png

Still debating whether to use styrene sheet to make the flat shape detail.

Last edited:
Decided that this build was going to be a landfall build. Have not made any progress because of my studies, but decided I will post what i did before i put the project on halt.

B00AEE0E-33FC-4FAC-8398-E8960BA5F16B.jpeg

It’s a full face on symmetrical sketch of the landfall helmet. Planned to do the side view and then the final draft once I was done.

I did this using the original image of the two odsts facing foreward, and accounted for the measurements by averaging the two dimensions of left and right and accounting for the angle of the pose. So basically, this should be the most accurate front view sketch to use a base for a 3d render.

Just needs some touch up on finalising the lines (and fixing those vents on the sides)

Looking at this image and comparing it to the landfall, the dimension seemed spot on.

Infact it’s so close that I decided to compare it the game file front side image. What do you know, seemed Weta had access to bungies odst model and modified it for their production.

Last edited:
Managed to have heaps of free time on my hands and went back to modelling. I improved quite a bit in blender and figured out how to model in High poly, the downside of high poly is that once it's applied, it will be hell to modify it.

Worked on the chest piece yet again because I found better high-quality images that have shown heaps of errors in my original model.

Hopefully I don't find more, My OCD will not play well lol.

...figured out how to model in High poly, the downside of high poly is that once it's applied, it will be hell to modify it.

Awesome job!

2 tips are paramount when you work in blender
1) Try not to apply any of the mods you do unless absolutely necessary
2) If you have to apply a mod, save the file first and then save your "applied mod" file as a different name.

12 hours later because of the lack of reference and the difficulty, I have with such small details on a curved surface I present the belt!

Modelled from scratch

I reckon it compliments the body armour well. For the amount of time I spent on it, I should've just scratch built it.

FRONT PORTION VEST MODELLED WOOHOO! Only took me two years.

Now to work on the gauntlets, hopefully, there aren't minute details.

Last edited:
So fun fact. After analysing some interviews and high res pics I've concluded what the barcode is.

The numbers under the barcode are literally just 123456789.

However, on one ODST (The one with the knife) the three is missing and is left with a gap. Probably scraped off during production by accident.

If I ever finish this project, I'll try to make a vacuum formed kit with vinyl stencils for those subtle details.

There are also two silver wave lines featured on the right side of the centre chest plate with the numbers either 82 or 62 above it (That much is clear)

Last edited:
One more update, after countless hours reviewing the landfall trailers over and over, I've just modelled the butt-plate.

Buttplate.PNG

I'm still unhappy with it because it's basically built without an image to use for reference. A lot of it was just done by eye, measuring it to what I see in the trailer.

Maybe one day we'll get better light on the costumes ? :D

On a side note- I have tried to model the thighs as well, but because of the lack of good reference once again, I'm stuck.

I believe the thighs and the back-neck armor will be the most difficult to model in the coming days

*Update*

Finished another part.

It's the plastic detail (x4) that slides over the strap from the crotch plate and but plate to the side hip plates.

belt strap.PNG

Once again, I'm displeased with this because it's not accurate. In the sense that there was absolutely no good reference and I had to free-hand it again.

Last edited:
One more update, after countless hours reviewing the landfall trailers over and over, I've just modelled the butt-plate.

View attachment 269522

I'm still unhappy with it because it's basically built without an image to use for reference. A lot of it was just done by eye, measuring it to what I see in the trailer.

Maybe one day we'll get better light on the costumes ? :D

On a side note- I have tried to model the thighs as well, but because of the lack of good reference once again, I'm stuck.

I believe the thighs and the back-neck armor will be the most difficult to model in the coming days

*Update*

Finished another part.

It's the plastic detail (x4) that slides over the strap from the crotch plate and but plate to the side hip plates.

View attachment 269529

Once again, I'm displeased with this because it's not accurate. In the sense that there was absolutely no good reference and I had to free-hand it again.

Could you link me the plastic detail parts? I'd like to print them for my build.

Could you link me the plastic detail parts? I'd like to print them for my build.
ah sorry! I didnt see this reply! Ill see if i can upload it Asap!

*Update* Issue with the model not being printable, apparently the mesh is deformed a bit in some places, working on a more accurate model to try and solve the issue. Should be done by today.

*Update 2* Finished a new model. The model won't go public until my Thingiverse account is 24 hours old sadly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back