3D Printed ODST Journey (Starts Now)

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by gerard2567, Oct 10, 2017.

1. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

So, First the Star wars episode VIII trailer comes out. And I receive my 3D printer on the same day Yay!

My 3D printer is a flashforge 2016 creator pro. Had good reviews and seemed to not let anyone down even for a cheap printer ($1419 AUD) , so far it hasn't cause me troubles. (Other than getting the manual calibrations correct, took me an hour, but I have no experience so meh) Much more quieter than I expected, so I can sleep through it.

I tested a small test cube that came on the SD card... Looks great

Now lets start. I've just downloaded Dutch Prop's model from myminifactory (Looks great Jeffrey!) scaled it from another guys recommendation (29cm overall length) and sliced the Jaw to fit onto the bed. Printing right now but it looks beutiful so far.

Now the wait game, 7 hours until jaw is done.

(Image of printer below from prior test)

IMG_0249.JPG

2. TnG R1ckx

TnG R1ckx

Ooooohhh another 3d printed ODST build! If you need any files, just tell me. I pretty much got all odst files converted and smoothed for 3d printing

3. HeroMinerR5

HeroMinerR5

Can't wait to see your process.

Tip: Keep your eye on that scaling with you start printing because it can change by itself.

4. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

Really? I've been saving the progress as I go along to make sure I didn't open the original file out of scale...

5. HeroMinerR5

HeroMinerR5

It happen on some computer where it will think it the original file and it rescale it back. Just dont click open the wrong file. another then that you should be good

6. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

IMG_0251.JPG Status update. 90% printed front part (Jaw)

Midnight.

xD

*Edit* Just finished printing. Will take pics in morning with better light.

One problem I noticed was that when I sliced the model a side was slightly floating, so it didn't print too good on the end, but It's a quick fix with bondo.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    mblackwell1002 likes this.
  7. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

Fresh Light

I set it to standard print resolution because I wanted it done faster. Will be doing smoothing work on this piece as the cheek/ears get printed.

IMG_0253.JPG

8. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

Yep it just happened. Had the cut piece scaled for print. once it was printed] something was off, like by 10%... I'm going to be using ready sliced pieces now from thingerverse.

Also I didn't seem to like the scale, so I'm using the original scale now, and I'm going to print it in higher resoultion this time.

Still need a lot to learn in terms of 3d printing

9. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

Anyways, while that's getting printed, I've been studying blender for the past few days to make my own custom 3D model... (Because I'm cheap)

So far it's hard. I don't know how to align the vertex to an angle, so I can keep the model uniform.

In short. I hate blender.

Capture.PNG side.PNG Capture2.PNG

10. HeroMinerR5

HeroMinerR5

Good luck

11. Jayronimoj

Jayronimoj New Member

Looks good so far, can't wait to see how it turns out

12. TnG R1ckx

TnG R1ckx

Just curious- Why reinvent the wheel?

13. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

I'm not familiar with "the wheel"

If you're talking about the curvature of the 3d model, I wasn't sure how to make a high poly sphere dome for the top...

14. TheAstroBot

TheAstroBot New Member

I think he's using the phrase to ask why make a custom model when there's already some out there (The Proverbial 'reinvention' being making your own model instead of using someone elses- The wheel that already has been invented).

Just a guess.

15. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

If that were the case it's because of molding rights. I want to make a odst set in the future with my own molding rights :p

So far I've stopped on the helmet until i can get more filament, and made a M6G, not accurate, but it's going to be strapped to the waist like the landfall, so i didn't bother too much with detail and functionality. Pics prob tomorrow...

16. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

IMG20171120150354.jpg IMG20171120150414.jpg IMG20171120150422.jpg Been raining nonstop so couldn't do much

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  17. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Helmet came out amazing. Did you model this helmet yourself?

18. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

No, I'm not talented enough to do 3D models. This was modelled by Jeffrey from Dutch Props.

I just printed, glued, reinforced and smoothed the front at this stage.

I still have to fill up some of the gaps, a little more reinforcing, smoothing and make some visor from the buck.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  19. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

Did some pepakura conversions, slight modifications and scaling.

untitled.png

I should also note, I don't intend to print all these pieces. Most of the Landfall odst armor pieces are so simple, i could carve them out of foam, there's no point in wasting filament on them. (Also taking into account some pieces are innaccurate anyway)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  20. JD of Asgard

JD of Asgard

that print looks clean as hell! great work so far!

21. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

Thanks! But i think some 3D printer geeks might disagree with you here, since i didn't print it in good resolution, and had a few Heat bed and nozzle injection problems. I tried to make up for it with the sanding stage since I don't know how long is considered safe prints for my printer.

22. JD of Asgard

JD of Asgard

well it looks better than my few attempts! haha

23. Thugzz Deluxxxe

Thugzz Deluxxxe

Yeah the resolution isn't super great, but holy crap, man. Nice work with the sanding phase. One of my pet peeves going through 3D printed projects is seeing people just paint fresh prints or do minimal sanding where you can still see the striations. The "I made one" section of Thingiverse is the bane of my existence, lol. Excellent sanding work though, dude.

SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  24. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

Completely remodelled the game 3D asset for the centre chestpiece, to make it more accurate to Landfall ODST's

chestplate.png

Currently going to model the centre torso plate since it's completely different to the ones already made here.

SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  25. gerard2567

gerard2567 Member

Nearly 7 hours later and finally done the waist... Damn I'm a slow worker. :C
    waist.png

I may release all the files once I model every single part.

*UPDATE*

I looked back at references and didn't want to let it go. I noticed some things are straight 90 degree angles but appeared to be curved on my original reference image. I also made the centre two piece. One for a vacuumforming base, and the other a castable resin piece (Since i wanted fast armor making, but detail at the same time. I put a locating object so the 'castable piece' can be easily glued onto place without having to make measurements to find the centre and so the glue you might use is soft, doesn't slide the centre piece off.

odst weta.png

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    SI3RRA 117 and Leiutenant Jaku like this.