3D printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negativecacti

Member DIN
S126
So I'm looking into getting a 3d printer for helmets and props but not sure what to get, I dont wanna get anything too expensive I found some that are about 8"x8"x9" and that seem to be standard. What type of filament would I even use? Any help is appreciated

The CR-10 could be considered the industry standard in the prop making community, it's a good printer with a decent print volume.

Overwhelmingly, PLA is the go to choice over ABS for the reasons of cost, odor, and resistance to warping (which can be avoided with adequate setup)

If you choose to go with one of the inexpensive Chinese printers, be sure that its made of metal, but expect to put a lot of effort into tuning.

Overwhelmingly, PLA is the go to choice over ABS for the reasons of cost, odor, and resistance to warping (which can be avoided with adequate setup)

I feel like the only ABS fan out there!

Untitled-1.jpg

Having a filament sensor would be amazing btw.

Negativecacti

I been using the creality cr10 with hatchbox pla and abs. Other than upgrading the bed leveling knobs, and replacing a hot end( my fault) its been a pretty good machine. I have made destiny props and voltron figures and a bayard with sword. The pla you need to keep it out of continuous heat source. My last word hand gun prop warped a bit from being on top of my xbox one vents. I had to repair it.
Make sure you maintain your printer i.e tightening screws monthly, cleaning the tracks with canned air and keep it on a dedicated flat surface and away from a/c air vents. Also check the bed level after every 3 prints or so.

I have a spot for it in mind it gonna be upstairs in my office/craft room on a table over a vent but with that being said I'll have to figure out where else to put it and it can get kind of hot up there also, but I could also make it into a mold to make resin casts out of it so they would be a little more structurally sound

Tevo Tornado fanboy checking in! I average 6-8kg of eSun PLA+ through this machine a month and I'm looking at picking up a second to turn into a PETG machine.

The Tornado is a CR-10 clone that decided to make itself more durable and follow OpenGL guidelines. I've also found the online support community for it to be extremely friendly and helpful plus people are constantly modding and testing the machine by pushing it to it's limits.

The CR-10 or the Tevo Tornado will be my next one. Currently I use an Ender 3, the CR-10's more affordable little brother.

I haven't had any problems with it, and I've been using it to print out my scaled ODST armor. The sensor would be nice, but eventually I timed how long each roll of PLA lasts me and I've been good with changing rolls ever since.

Really I only want another one for the bigger bed. Leaning more towards the Tornado honestly

I am using an Any Cubic Chiron. Massive print area and a run out sensor. Great printing right out of the box. I am using eSun PLA+ for my armour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back