405th versus 501st

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have so many new members, increasing everyday. I cant assume that their ranks increase in such numbers. Star Wars is somewhat old, I just turned 35 and I would not do the trooper. Halo is so much cooler, now and will continue to be. There will be a new game, their will be Halo Wars, and the movie. Competition is good and we have something to look up to. I bet you would have more members than you think agreeing to tighten up the ranks and be more organized like them. I am in. Can we package our trading cards and put that dusty bubble gum in the packs. That's frikkin' sweet. :lol:

Wow... Just, wow... How awesome is that? Parades, trading cards, marching bands, music? Pretty flippin' awesome, but not as awesome if we did it. :) :lol:

Edit: I like Pillow's idea. Definitely sounds like something we should do. (I'm all in.)

PillowFire said:
1.I didn't realise they had enough to make an army, AND WERE organized enough to do so, AND create parades and marching bands....

2.however, our armor is much more complex, and from what it looks like, they are probably mass producing kits for each of their members to have that many troopers with such identical looking armor

3.our armor is hand-crafted, much tougher to make, and reflects on the fact that a few of us spartans can take out their entire armada of storm troopers

4.if we can get at least 50 spartans all organized with HIGH-QUALITY hand crafted stuff that is in a standardized patteren, we can match them easily.

5.What is more impressive, especually today after the constant storm trooper parades, 50 amazing looking spartans with ID numbers, and different helms and colors to reflect the type of spartan (cqb, eva, ect) all marching organized with matching weaps, or an army of storm troopers with identical white, mass production copy armor.

6.Add to that our female members whom we can dress up as different female AI, and put them in female spartan costumes that make people know they are female somehow, as well as a few vehicles and we will be pwning

In response....

1. They have over 2,000 members all over the world. (501st)
They have garrisons, and detachments, and a forum for each garrison/detachment/squad/armor type...etc...etc

EG: Bikerscout.net, http://imperialgunnercorps.netfirms.com/, http://501stacd.com/ ..etc..etc

2. While Spartan armor is very complex in comparison to stormtrooper armor or clonetrooper armor. It is generic just like the clonetrooper/stormtrooper armor. All the spartans are the same as well. In shape and type. Other than color...

The clonetroopers make up for it with painted ranks and such. EG: 41st Elite, 501st Legion, Parjai troopers..etc...etc

3. Here's the difference, our armor is one of three different types.

Slushcasted Armor, Vacuum formed armor, or Pepakura armor. Our armor must be molded piece by piece.

Stormtrooper armor and Clone Trooper armor is vacuum formed, and therefore can just be made quickly - Piece by Piece
EG: Vacuum form 10 hand plates at a time, Vacuum form 4 thigh pieces at a time...etc...etc

Stormtrooper and Clone Trooper armor come in the form of kits and are assembled like "lifesize" model kits..

Stormtrooper and Clone Trooper armor comes in three types, HIS - High Impact Styrene, PVC - Plastic, and ABS Plastic.
It is formed in .60 and .90 mm plastic layers.

4. It is VERY difficult for everyone's pepakura armor to look the same, so a standardized armor set would be very difficult, unless we made kits we could sell to the group here for them to assemble it...

That is why the 501st has armor "vendors" - guys responsible for the "kits" that they "give out" and that is how the armor is standardized..

They have abbreviations for their armor "vendors" so that they don't get in trouble with lucas...for propmaking...selling..

For example Stormtrooper armor - FX, RT-Mod, AP, TE-2, TM, AA/SDS, or even MFX, the FX can be modded for elite status, but is a real pain in the butt, the TE-2 is made out of the same materials as the real suits from the movies so has a crisper pull than the others, but needs to be painted and trimmed extesively, and is one of the hardest if not the hardest armors to assemble..but the TM is a top notch original concept of the ANH suit, so if you were to do an Elite ANH I'd go TM, but an AP, TE-2, and RT mod have been tweaked into having a more ANH look to them, but it all depends on your body type, your budget, time, and the level of accuracy you are shooting for.

5. You have to realize...there's less of a Halo fanbase, versus the size of the Star Wars fanbase. So...it's a guarantee that whenever you see a stormtrooper...or any actual GOOD costume from the Star Wars movies, you will be in awe.
While 50 spartans would be impressive....not everyone would know the spartans..

The stormtroopers on the other hand are well known. And it's an arguable point, but that's my opinion.

6. And on the female side...there are female clonetroopers, stormtroopers..
This...proves my point :

femtroop6240x320.jpg

femtroopers_2240x320.jpg

femtroopers3240x320.jpg

Oh and Christi, by the way..I think I'm gonna get you a fem stormtrooper suit for your birthday ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Darke's got a real good point there... Also, I wasn't aware there were female storm troopers. Haha, I always just see the males. Nice to know they have females in there.

Cylos said:
Darke's got a real good point there... Also, I wasn't aware there were female storm troopers. Haha, I always just see the males. Nice to know they have females in there.

Thanks, glad you agree.

Spartan Forever, can you please change the name of this thread to

405th versus 501st, a Comparison between our group and theirs.

Please?

Its..sorta what the thread is turning into..
Thanks!

Ok sure i see what your saying i will change it.

EDIT: Well then someone should "vend" spartan suits lol i mean theres nothing bad that could come from it right? The storm and clone troopers do it and look at their ranks now.

I'd rather be a spartan, but i'd look better than those girls in the fem stormtropper suit. :\
Get me a spartan suit for my b-day and we'll call it even. You got 4 months and some change, lol.

Sarge Christi said:
I'd rather be a spartan, but i'd look better than those girls in the fem stormtropper suit. :\
Get me a spartan suit for my b-day and we'll call it even. You got 4 months and some change, lol.
High five! Spartans FTW :D

LastSpartan said:
General of Army -> Adam
Mods -> Generals

States rep : Majors
XO : Captains
Web liaison (sp?) : Lieutnant.

You do realise were talking halo here?

Adam: Fleet Admiral (fleet admiral sir terence hood)
Mods: Admirals
State/country rep: Captains
XO: Commanders
Web liaison: lieutenant (junior grade perhaps?)

Other ranks:
Master Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer
Petty officer 1st class
Petty officer 2nd class
petty officer 3rd class
(1st) sergeant
Corporal
Private first class
Private.

Sorry but I just freak out if I see somthing thats incorrectly done.

This site would be lovely if there was an actual ranking system other than 'member' 'advanced member' 'administrator' 'moderator'. Half of this board looks to have remain unchanged from the IPB Default.

But, darkesrowd, this is Sparta! MASTER CHIEF FTW!!

Chemical.Reaper said:
This site would be lovely if there was an actual ranking system other than 'member' 'advanced member' 'administrator' 'moderator'. Half of this board looks to have remain unchanged from the IPB Default.

But, darkesrowd, this is Sparta! MASTER CHIEF FTW!!

Well of course! I was just giving a bit of comparison between us and them.

LOL, they even have a marching band with flag twirlers!

It's called color guard not flag twirlers, I'm sorry I can't stand being called a flag twirler. I'm in marching band at school.

I could help with flash cards if you guys want!

I also like the idea of ranks, unfortunately, I am not farmiliar with navy ranks. I'll have to start learning those soon.

SpartanForever said:
LOL, they even have a marching band with flag twirlers!

Actually the flag twirlers were from the Grambling state Marching Band, and every Stormtrooper in the Rose Bowl Parade was hand picked by Lucas Film from audition tapes sent in by each Garrison of its members marching.

I'm a member of the 501st, so I would kind of appreciate toning down the insults against the 501st. We do a lot of good. Each year the 501st raises thousands of dollars for various charities, like make a wish, and makes countless appearances with the same charity organizations. I have been participating in the Juvenille Diabetes Research Foundation walk-a-thon and annual Halloween party for about 4 years now, and when you can slip into the lives of strangers and let them live a dream of meeting their heroes and making them happy, stepping into a room with a sick child, and taking away all their pain and replacing it with a smile and a memory they can hold onto for the rest of their lives, through the pain, through the unfair fact that they have to suffer at such a young age, it's a powerful and moving experience. So please, we do a lot of good, don't overlook that.

Cadet said:
Actually the flag twirlers were from the Grambling state Marching Band, and every Stormtrooper in the Rose Bowl Parade was hand picked by Lucas Film from audition tapes sent in by each Garrison of its members marching.

I'm a member of the 501st, so I would kind of appreciate toning down the insults against the 501st. We do a lot of good. Each year the 501st raises thousands of dollars for various charities, like make a wish, and makes countless appearances with the same charity organizations. I have been participating in the Juvenille Diabetes Research Foundation walk-a-thon and annual Halloween party for about 4 years now, and when you can slip into the lives of strangers and let them live a dream of meeting their heroes and making them happy, stepping into a room with a sick child, and taking away all their pain and replacing it with a smile and a memory they can hold onto for the rest of their lives, through the pain, through the unfair fact that they have to suffer at such a young age, it's a powerful and moving experience. So please, we do a lot of good, don't overlook that.

I agree,

Seeing as I'm....in my own way..a part of the 501st as well...

(I'm not official 501st till I'm 18...)
Either way, give some respect to the 501st, they were here before you (405th)

And I'm sure they wouldn't mind having another group around that does similar stuff that they do, but lets not turn this into an argument thread.

- Fitz

Yeah, seriously. You guys better recognize...

The 501st has like 10 years on us, and what we're doing here is derived from their organizational model.

Why all the hating... these guys rock!

I have no problems with the 501st. Infact Im trying to get a suit of storm trooper armor for myself and my dad :p But let us not forget that we will banter back and forth just like the Mac and PC on the apple commercials :p All in good fun. In the long run however I'd like to see the 405th do some fundraisers.

Yeah my whole point of this topic was to say how much more advanced and organized the 501st is then us. I lvoe the fact that you guys have fundraisers that is a great idea. Hopefully one day halo will become just as big as star wars, hell id join the 501st if i was old enough. But once again *cough* Spartans *cough* own *cough* Stormtroopers *cough*. Lol.

With a movie that just celebrated its 30th Anniversary (Star Wars came out in 1977) and a costuming group/charity organization that is 10 years old (This is our tenth anniversary), give any group with that much effort, loyalty and time and you will get there.

I need to point out a few errors, not to thump the 501st chest/stand on a soapbox, but correct facts are important for accuracy.

There are close to 4,500 members worldwide, not 2,000.

Armor makers are NOT referred to as vendors, they do NOT "give out" their kits and no profit is made from those ventures.

The 501st is Lucasfilms proffered and endorsed fan/costuming group.

Halo has an immense fan base, but costuming is a difficult and expensive avenue for a hobby as most of you are finding out. A stormtrooper set of armor may not cost as much as the elite halo suits, but understand that 10 years ago it surely did. Nowdays, there are aluminum vacform molds, etc. If you want to talk about intensive and complicated costumes, try creating a Boba Fett or Darth Vader costume with any kind of accuracy. My Vader is about $3,000 in the making, Jango about $,1500, etc etc etc.

Hang in there guys, regardless of being a Star Wars fan or not, if the quality of leadership here stays on the level it is, things will start up nicely. The 405th has a tremendous amount of potential.

The funny thing is at least 10% of our members are under th age of 16 lol. And i did a bit of research and the last count of the 501st was a little less then 5,000 members. We could start doing things like the 501st and go to places like comic con and lots of shows and stuff but we would need one leader to set it up and help everyone out. Lol anyone, anyone, anyone, .......... Adam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back