501St Conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartanCOG

Jr Member
-if any1 has any RC files plz post em here

-sorry man...

we generally dont deel with pep files on this side of the galaxy.

we leave that to the Halo fiends

WTH? We got waaaaay better armor than the 501st. And besides, who doesnt wanna be an awesome, armored, alien killing ,badass; as oppose to being 1 of millions of clones that go down in 5 hits?

Please share your opinions =]

SpartanCOG said:
-if any1 has any RC files plz post em here

-sorry man...

we generally dont deel with pep files on this side of the galaxy.

we leave that to the Halo fiends

WTH? We got waaaaay better armor than the 501st. And besides, who doesnt wanna be an awesome, armored, alien killing ,badass; as oppose to being 1 of millions of clones that go down in 5 hits?

Please share your opinions =]

yeah i know and ive been searching for a RC bucket file forever i found a low detailed one and Dungbeetle was working on one but idk how far is is on it though

if u want the RC low detail one i have send me a PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Much love to the 501st. Gotta give props to the empire. :) I've always liked the different stormtroopers, but ODSTs and Marines get special love for personal reasons. =P

But it is true that aside from some of the newer stuff (such as Republic Commando pieces) most of the imperial trooper gear seems to be vac formed or modded from other stuff (which makes sense since that's how a lot of the original props were made)

I guess it's just different roots, different techniques. Being based off a game makes some of the pieces harder to put together without going from scratch, so there's bigger benefits from pep for a lot of the halo armour.

Once again, I would please like to encourage that this thread does not go down the road that some others have, and become a bash the 501st thread, based on incorrect assumptions or misunderstandings.

I am in the 501st, I can do what I can to clear up any misconceptions or questions about the organization.

i love the 501st... my only problem is just with the standard that is set, and that seems to be the main difference between our 2 great groups.

the crazy accurate standard that is set i think cripples the star wars costuming community. On one hand, when you troop everyone looks top notch and fantastic, but on the other hand i think it just encourages people to buy armor instead of make their own... Because who wants to spend all this time and put forth alot of hard work just to have some guy say "your Boba Fett looks like i $#!T it out this morning, you cant join"... yes i know it doesnt go down that way (local garrisons are very helpful, and welcoming people) i was making a point. Where as here, we encourage people and acknowledge the fact that your first suit isnt going to be Game Accurate, and we try and teach them how to better their armor... Not just tell them "hey, you can buy a better helmet from..."

im rambling, anyways Pep seems to be far more suitable for halo armor because there are alot of harsh corners, where as most Star wars stuff is smooth and pretty... now that doesnt mean that you cant because Skip has tons of great files that turn out great...........

i lost my train of thought, screw it... you get my point.

Cadet said:
Once again, I would please like to encourage that this thread does not go down the road that some others have, and become a bash the 501st thread, based on incorrect assumptions or misunderstandings.

I am in the 501st, I can do what I can to clear up any misconceptions or questions about the organization.

I agree Totally. I'm part of the 501st too. (obviously) but i got so much negative feedback about the pepakura stuff that i was kinda annoyed. I dont have the kind of money to make casts and molds, but pepakura fits my budget easy. When i heard of the 405th, i immediately Swapped planes and im ridin this 1 the whole way.

Cadet said:

I second this, I don't want to see this go down the way of some of the other threads.

I'm not an active 501st member anymore but I can still help if there are questions about the group.

As far as buying vs. making armour.

The thing with that is there is quite a lot of Star Wars stuff that comes from original props used in the movies, wether it be first, second, third generation and so on. There is no way you could ever sculpt a Stormtrooper helmet that perfectly matched what you saw on screen, there's just too many odd little details... most of which only a select few really know about and it just ends up being far cheaper to buy a kit than it is to build it yourself.

Also keep in mind that a lot of the 501st aren't prop builders, there are a lot of them but a large portion is made up of people that just want the armour or just love to troop.

It's also much easier to have a few different established armour makers providing gear that looks the same, to the public at least, when you get into it you'll see all the differences between makes but to the average joe a Stormtrooper is a Stormtrooper and a Tie pilot is Vader... err, no that's not right is it? :p

I have never had a beef with the 501st, some people I know are in it, and I admire them. The Halo costuming community is relatively new in the scope of things, so I tend to think that (older) people who come into it come in from other costuming communities. I came from the anime cosplay community, but I always assumed that the founding core of the 405th came from the Star Wars costuming community. I reasoned that the limitations on membership and the like were to uphold a certain standard of quality, and that the idea was to slowly grow the community of quality armor builders into something that commands the same kind of respect that the 501st has.

Now that I think about it, staging a joint "UNSC versus Empire" photoshoot between the 405th and the 501st at a convention sometime would be kind of cool. We need not bash, but a little friendly rivalry could be mutually enjoyable. :)

I love the 501st!! They were the first armor community I ever heard of. Every time I signed in, I was always in shock and awe from all the cool stuff that they made, Especially the good ol' clone troopers, the were my favorite from all of the other groups.I almost bought one of Greedo's DC-15 carbines for a good price, but sadly family matters had to rear there ugly head at me.

I couldn't afford any of the fancy helmet kits they had, but once I saw how cheap and easy it was to make some Halo armor, I just dove right into this madness known as the 405th. I will do clone stuff, but not for some time.

THE 501st ROCKS!!!

-Pony

Fearless Son said:
I have never had a beef with the 501st, some people I know are in it, and I admire them. The Halo costuming community is relatively new in the scope of things, so I tend to think that (older) people who come into it come in from other costuming communities. I came from the anime cosplay community, but I always assumed that the founding core of the 405th came from the Star Wars costuming community. I reasoned that the limitations on membership and the like were to uphold a certain standard of quality, and that the idea was to slowly grow the community of quality armor builders into something that commands the same kind of respect that the 501st has.

Now that I think about it, staging a joint "UNSC versus Empire" photoshoot between the 405th and the 501st at a convention sometime would be kind of cool. We need not bash, but a little friendly rivalry could be mutually enjoyable. :)

That Would be awesome! Clones Versus Marines, Vader versus Chief, ARCs versus SPARTANs. I would work straight through the week to be able to go to a con like that

SpartanCOG said:
That Would be awesome! Clones Versus Marines, Vader versus Chief, ARCs versus SPARTANs. I would work straight through the week to be able to go to a con like that

lol that would be awesome but it would be hard to pick if i would be a RC or an ODST,and i wish the 501st would get some fans of pepakura since i also can afford to cast/mold or buy SW armor and i would love to biuld my own RC and mando armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back