A little tip for armor builders

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanNumber623

Ive looked through youtube at different people's armor and found a lot of people have problems with the shins. I haven't gotten to make mine yet but I had an epiphany, use soccer shin guards. They fit your legs perfectly. Glue the shins to the front of the pads and use velcro or some kind of latch system, whether it's magnets or hooks to put the calf piece on. Incidentally, most soccer pads come with ankle braces so that helps fill in the gaps between the boots and shins. I'm planning on using this technique with my armor, if anyone tries this, let me know how it works, if not you can all see it when I finally get around posting my pics. Again, I haven't tried it yet, but if it works, it'd be useful for any build, whether it's Halo, Gears, Skyrim, or any other build with shin armor.

Thanks for listening, let me know how it turns out.

Awesome Idea!

On that same note if the shin guards dont fit couldnt you use a contoured piece of foam as backing and just hot glue or rivet elastic/velcro. Basically custom/cheap shin guards?

Definitely! All the videos I saw the people already had their shin pieces built. the trouble they had was the pep files were too big or they just made them too big. They did exactly what you said, filled the gaps with EVA foam. I was saying to get the shin guards first and mold the shins around them, but if you get the scaling right, or if you have your own body cast and freehand the piece you should be fine. Using the foam, will save you a little money, yes, but not sure about ease of putting them on. Just an idea, I'll post my pics when I get them done. I also may make a video on YouTube.

I thought about something similar. my plan is to split the shins down the middle, like you have to do on the chest and use a latch system to reattach it together.

Very good suggestion man. I will save your thread for when I actually make it the shins(long ways away at the moment). I wonder if there is something similar that could be done for the thighs.

I'm not sure, I'm going with Over Locking leg armor from Halo 4, so Im building the thighs and shins in 2 pieces. The soccer pads are going to be for my fiance. She's going with Halo 3 Recon

Not tried it myself, but I would think hockey shin pads would be MUCH better. Fill coverage, multiple straps, and the knee cap is on, flexible, and permanently attached. I'd check out a play it again sports or whatever and see what you can find on the cheap. Multiple lengths/bulkiness, and should not be a problem getting a hold of. Recommend looking into that before going with those dainty little shin guards that somehow still leave the most physically fit people I've ever seen crying and rolling on the ground like they just found a bear trap the hard way...for about 30 seconds or the yellow card shows up, and then they magically spring back into action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back