A New Idea: Carbon Fiber Reinforcement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selsiuss

I had a great idea(at least I think it's great.). How about after a layer or two of fiberglass on the inside of the armor, you put some carbon fiber fabric in there for reinforcement? I think that a few layers of that would make the helmet strong enough to pass for a REAL protective gear, or at least get pretty close. You could also use some hard carbon fiber rods for reinforcing the most important points.

I think this is a good idea because you won't have to worry about breaking your armor so much. Everyone knows how strong carbon fiber is, so it beats fiberglass by a long shot. Just be sure to put the carbon fiber on the INSIDE of the armor, because it won't go so well on the outside.

The way I would do it is to cut the carbon fiber fabric into the shapes required and resin them on, like you do with fiberglass, and each time you put on a new layer you change the direction of the carbon fiber by 90 degrees.

Like inside the helmet, cut the carbon fiber fabric into long strands and resin them on. then do it again but turned sideways(from the point of view that you are).

Well, if anyone wants to try this out, post some pictures of your carbon fiber reinforced armor. Maybe even make a video documenting how strong it is(testing it by hitting it with stuff).

Oh, yeah, this is my first topic that I've posted.

I believe Thorsoli talked about CF in his thread. The main draw back is the cost first, then the layers you would need to actually add strength. A nice set of armor can cost $2000. Add in the CF and you've added quite a bit of cost. Might want to start small and try it on a hand plate first.

The biggest problem keeping people from doing this historically has been expense. Carbon fiber is definitely expensive compared to fiberglass. But if you have a ready source you could use, then it should work out fine.

Selsiuss said:
I think that a few layers of that would make the helmet strong enough to pass for a REAL protective gear, or at least get pretty close.

Don't get the idea that carbon fiber is bulletproof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for reference, a USGI PASGT helmet, rated to stop shrapnel and lower powered pistol rounds, is made up of 19 layers of kevlar and weighs between three and four pounds. Plus, remember that kevlar has a higher tensile strength than carbon fiber. Remember, just about anything is bulletproof if it's thick enough. If you've got the bucks for carbon fiber by all means use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back