A Reach Caboose (WIP, with pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update with pictures. Though college and an unchecked procrastination module have been doing their best to stop me, I have gotten ONE more piece of armor done. (and by done I mean pepped, not glassed or hardened, or painted)
PICT0001-Copy.jpg

PICT0004-Copy.jpg

PICT0005-Copy.jpg

This is the second forearm I've made. It's the second because the first was too small, pic for size comparison.
PICT0009-Copy.jpg

Another thing I've been working on, feet.
PICT0012-Copy.jpg

These will help me if I ever get around to making the boots.

haha this is going to be great. once your done just throw a spike grenade into a wall :]

I was going to run around campus with an unfolded map and a red flag while asking people where Blue base was. But I'm open to options.

Sorry for the double post (does it count as a double post if the last one was three months ago?) but I got another update. I was able to slice'n'splice my helmet into a bigger size. It's not done quite yet but it is now 3cm wider and 2cm taller (which is a very noticeable difference when you wear it).
helre1.jpg

helre2.jpg

helre3.jpg

helre4.jpg

helre5.jpg

helre6.jpg

helre7.jpg

helre8.jpg

helre11.jpg

^looks like the helmet has a mouth...
helre17.jpg

helre13.jpg

helre16.jpg

helre15.jpg

Thoughts?

I also have a couple different ideas for what I could do to harden the suit which I plan to test out on the first torso I made. Almost completed a belt as well, but I figured out the scale was off and I printed it out too small. Would've been nice to know that before I only had the cod piece left to do, because the thing also printed out without numbers...

UPDATE TIME.

Again, sorry if this counts as a double post. While the helmet still needs a lot of work before it'll be ready to glass, I have decided to focus on pepping out the rest of the suit first. And in that regard...

Belt1.jpg

The belt is done. This is the second belt as the first one was too small.

Belt3.jpg

And I have one thigh done.

Leftthigh4.jpg

Leftthigh3.jpg

Leftthigh2.jpg

Leftthigh1.jpg

This bit was surprisingly easy to do.
Leftthigh7.jpg

Even if my fingers couldn't really fit in the grooves.
Leftthigh6.jpg

The back of this helmet is the reason i haven't built this pep. Its looking good dude. I think im going to test the waters on this pep.

Nice work so far!

What file did you use for the belt? I made one that I'm not happy with, which is also too small. If you have the link or name of the file I would greatly appreciate that. Also, how did you size the belt? I'm thinking I just need to add a few centimeters to mine, but I'd love any advice or tips. Good Luck with the rest of your project!

Sorry for the long break, now that it is finals week I'll hopefully be able to get more done on the armor soon. Still trying to manage my free time better. Here's the update, The thighs I made were just a little too small so I'm making another pair bigger (yay more test parts). I got one shin made and same deal, a little too small so I'm making a slightly bigger pair with knee piece.

Picture of a whole leg. It's the left shin and the right thigh but it gives you the over all idea.
legfull1.jpg

Closer shot on the shin.
shin1.jpg

shin5.jpg

shin4.jpg

shin3.jpg

shin2.jpg

Knee cap.
knee1.jpg

knee6.jpg

knee5.jpg

knee4.jpg

knee2.jpg

Nice work so far!

What file did you use for the belt? I made one that I'm not happy with, which is also too small. If you have the link or name of the file I would greatly appreciate that. Also, how did you size the belt? I'm thinking I just need to add a few centimeters to mine, but I'd love any advice or tips. Good Luck with the rest of your project!

Sorry for the late reply, the belt file I used was made by RoadWarrior and unfolded by Matt H. As for size that's kind of hit and miss. For the sizing of most of the parts I do, I made a measuring guide out of some paper strips taped together and marked using a ruler (the paper is marked out in "cm" since that's what Pepakura uses). I hold it up to a part of my body to gauge how high I need to scale the part in Pep. and then print it out. If it ends up too small, I add a couple of cm to the first measurement as needed to get the right size. In the case of the belt I went with width instead of height since it was hard to tell where the highest point on the belt assembly was. On each side of the belt you have a little box which adds to the width, so the trick was trying to factor in the boxes and pads that would be in the undersuit along with what I needed for my waist. This involved me standing in front of a mirror, holding my paper guide at my waist line and guessing at how far the finished belt would stick out from my hips. This gave me a rough measurement to work with and I printed the first belt, which was too small. I have a 30in waist (just measured it to be sure), and looking at my notes I printed out the final belt (the one that fits) as 29.5 cm high.

As for any tips or advice, the only thing I can say at the moment is to make a word doc. or something to keep notes in on your armor. I have one and it allows me to make any adjustments to my sizing without reprinting a size I've already done. To keep the notes organized I also suggest a standard measurement. You'll notice that I said I tried to find the width needed for the belt but I put down the end height, all the notes I have on size are based off of the height of the part since that's what I'm usually changing. Because Pepakura automatically changes all the dimensions after you alter one of them I was able to work off of the height on the belt after I changed the width for the first print. Having noted the height for the first print it was easy to add the needed cm to the height for the final print.

As for the helmet update, I can see where trying to alter the size and shape is going to give me a headache later on so...
pic1.jpg

I've started to make a new model in Blender.

That's all for now, hopefully I'll be able to update more than once or twice over the summer.

Update,
got the new torso finished, with stomach plate, and spine plates. Here are pictures,
torso9.jpg

This was... interesting to make.
torso10.jpg

And this
torso11.jpg

And this...
torso12.jpg

it is very detailed
torso13.jpg

And now the back
torso3.jpg

torso4.jpg

torso6.jpg

torso5.jpg

torso8.jpg

The stomach section was quite interesting to make.
stomach1.jpg

The pep for this part didn't have any glue tabs, so I have to guess where they would go.
stomach2.jpg

And it is small.
stomach3.jpg

last for now, the spine.
spine2.jpg

spine3.jpg

i would start to freak out if my modell need some of those tiny pep pieces. :D
nice work so far... hope that the resin wont destroy the nice edges.

Hey, look at that, the main pep is done. Now I get to resin and glass it, and strap and paint it, and light it.... and make the undersuit, and the boots.... all before I go back to college in the fall... This is going to be fun!
done1.jpg

done2.jpg

Please excuse the less than artistic pictures, it was 2:00 am and I just wanted to get it over with.
done3.jpg

done4.jpg

Oh, yeah, I also have to finish my helmet model,
pic2.jpg

Yay for stuff to do!

two things.

1). This build is AWESOME!!! So nice man! can't wait to see it later!

2). I'll take a crack at the helmet man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back