A trio of weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

OJ102

Soo.. my kids loved a full sized iron man walking round and asked me to make something for them. Obviously an exosuit for a 3 and 6 year old isnt viable so i decided that for Christmas id make 3 new props for them with me new found hobby

A Ronnan the Accuser hammer 1:2
Storm breaker axe 1:2
Thors hammer 1:1

As of this moment ive finished the foam on thors hammer and done most od ronnans hammer. Im finishing making the templates for stormbreaker currently.

They are made of 100* eva foam, with a 22mm wooden core handle extending into the hammer
Heads, the heada are a thick cardboard tube with the handle attached to them, then a mix of sponges and packing foam filling the inside out until it was ridgid bit not solid. Essentially they can hit eachother and cant break bones!

Soon as stormbreaker is done ill begin painting! All the templates had to be made from scratch so dome fine details may be ommited for structural ressons!
20191207_212349.jpg

Funny enough, I too am working on making all three of these lol. Foam work looks amazing as always dude :)

Thanks! They are popular choices to build! I was thinking of getting some battery tea lights, the 2cm diameter ones that you choose the colour of and imbed it into the ronnan hammer for a light up infinity stone!

I was gonna use the same electronics i used in ironman but it dawned on me i couldnt replace the batteries if i did!

Im so bad for starting foamwork, yet once i start, hours drift away.

Stormbreaker is a very unique one to build, normally your wanting foam to look like perfect tempered metal, not organic rustic wood! So im layering up the handle, an under layer of solid foam and then the top later made from 1cm strips going longways up the handle, the theory being i can use the seams as grain contours so stop me making symmetrical wood effect.

This is the current progress, im making the handle section as uneven as i can so that it will be easier to make it look like wood. Ive finished the blade and mallet conponents so just need to make the vines to give the effect of holding it together.

Once all the foam is in place ill need to worknoit how to add wood details! Im thinking a blade and heat gun. Once thats done the wood part will be painted brown and the mallet/blade metalic silver

Attachments

• 20191217_121759.jpg
    20191217_121759.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 170
This is looking great so far!

If you want to make ronans hammer light up, my neighbor saw me working on mine outside and gave me two kitchen cupboard lights to use. They look the part and are subtly, just for that little extra touch :)

I was thinking along the same lines, LED pond Lights, waterproof and only 3cm in diameter. Should be able to cut a hole in the foam and slot them in tight so i can change the batteries in the future.

Hopefully ill get the last of the foam layered on tonorrow and can start sculpting it and sanding it down. I REALLY need to start painting as christmas is coming up fast!

Update: all the foamwork is now complete finally! Ive started painting the silver areas as it will need 4-5 coats of the paint and 3 top coats to seal, with a 30m dry time between coats!

Im still waiting on my brown paint for the handles tho! Hopefully this weekend ill have all 3 complete and have some nice shinny pictures to post!

So, my paint wasnt moving on the online tracking. I tried to contact the courier but they are machine only customer services.. i contact the supplier to ask if they can chase it up, half an hour later they call me and fill me in.... the courier company had 50 trucks qued up 800m away unsorted as they underestimated their haulage.. its not like christmas is a recurring holiday or anything .. thankfully the seller has written off the first delivery and sent a new one with a different courier!

It has given me time to layer up the silver tho! Now I just need to keep these meter long weapons hidden from the kids while the paint coats dry and are reapplied!

Aw thanks! I always feel like its a bit messy, but my expectations are also to be able to make foam look like brushed steel!

So many tutorials online use materials that i just cant get here, even the EVA foam i use has to travel 800 miles and comes in a 1mx2m sheet!

Some of the things ive watched being made vary from rough as hell to almost machine crafted too!

Ive found that if a joint is determined to open even when contact cements used, put duct tape over it, it will hold it tight until its dry and solid, and will peel off easily. Ill heat form the foam and the use tape to hold it while it fully cools too. Gotta love duct tape!

All 3 weapons are done, they will need 2 more gloss coats to make them battle worthy tho!

STORMBREAKER
RONNAN THE ACCUSER
MJOLNIR

I had to be creative with their designs as getting templates that were usable was very hard. I ended up building ronnans hammer and stormbreaker from templates up using the films as reference. I did manage to find a proportional Mjolnir online that i was able to use for a scale reference tho!

Each one has a 22mm wooden cylendrical core going from the handle through the head. The head of each is a carved cardboard block, encased in sponges and then placed inside the foam exterior.

You may be asking why, well these are actually for my 3 and 6 year old to battle eachother with so they are made to feel weighted for use but soft enough that a direct hit wont actually hurt either of them! In theory anyway.

The foam is 100* high density foam, all crafting materials supplied by www.tyges.co.uk who have been great in supplying all my project requirement.

Attachments

• 20191220_154623.jpg
    20191220_154623.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 160
  • 20191220_154700.jpg
    20191220_154700.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back