A visor ? not yet addressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakiki

Jr Member
...yes i searched....
CQB Visor....Oh that sounds hard....What about an EVA one!??!?!?!

Okay, I'm gonna make a CQB but only if someone can confirm that I'll be able to give it a snazy visor, and maybe tell me how...
 

cys920622

Member
i ebayed visor a while ago and it came up with spacesuit visors.

that wraps like half your head, it should be enough

super expensive though, i think it was over $200
 

docbytes

Well-Known Member
I still thing I'm going to try to vacuum form the visor. The materials are cheap and the are how-to vids on you tube.
 

Epyon

Jr Member
I would have to agree with the vacuum form route for getting an accurate EVA-style helm.... With those shapes, there simply isnt anything close enough to them that you can buy.

Helms like the ones the Spartan III's use are this way; theres no way to mimic that ridge in the top-middle without just vacuum forming one:
Ghosts_of_Onyx_by_Rahll.jpg


EVA helm is the same way:


So, GL with those vacuum forming ! :D

It isn't too hard though....

~Epyon
 

Skullcandy Girl

Well-Known Member
You know, I just had a thought from watching the Bioshock armor demo, what about a Security camera dome?? Though I have no idea how much thye cost and how easy they are to cut, just a thought though :)
 
I posted this same type of topic a while ago, but there was no real response. The problem with the CQB helm visor is that while a HJC visor will fit it, it is not "long" enough to fill the whole l"leg" of the "T".
 

bugman72

Jr Member
dudemann said:
can you spray on a mirror-like coat to a vacuformed visor?

You can get mirror paint for RC bodies made by Spazstix as well as a couple of others that is extremely convincing. The paint goes on the inside and you will have a mirror chrome (or gold) finish. Might be hard to see out of, though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Epyon

Jr Member
Another option available, that I know I've looked at, ist getting whatever clear plastic visor you have, take it to an automotive tint shop, and get them to tint the outside with some of the Gold reflective tint that is available. From the inside, its just like you put on some sunglasses. :D


~Epyon
 

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
blakiki said:
...yes i searched....
CQB Visor....Oh that sounds hard....What about an EVA one!??!?!?!

Okay, I'm gonna make a CQB but only if someone can confirm that I'll be able to give it a snazy visor, and maybe tell me how...
Mold the pepakura visor in plaster, once you get a mold of it, just vac form it with clear plastic, then tint it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SH Jack

Jr Member
Well I have an idea though, call me pessimistic, I doubt it'll happen. MXL Industries is a leading manufacturer of visors for the motor sports, military, industrial, and security sectors and they do custom orders. I've never really bought anything custom directly from a manufacturer before but I think it's safe to assume that it'll be expensive and we'd have to buy in bulk. I don't know if there would enough people interested to make it worthwhile and pool the money needed for an order. Hopefully we have a member in the manafacturing sector that knows more than a little high schooler like me about costs on custom orders, though.
 

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
That would be really really expensive, Vacuum forming isnt going to be cheap either, but it's the cheapest rout.
 

rpalmer919

New Member
AoBfrost said:
That would be really really expensive, Vacuum forming isnt going to be cheap either, but it's the cheapest rout.
I've been researching this subject quite a bit. I did find that you can buy sheets of acrylic that are already gold mirror tinted. However, I have yet to find any confirmation as to whether this stuff can maintain it's mirrored appearance after being vacuformed. I have inquired with one of the manufacturers to see if it is possible, but have yet to hear back...

Anyone want to be the first??? If so, I'll post the website that sells them...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sigma LS

Sr Member
I can see where you guys would need vac-forms for the EVA and SPI but I wouldn't say that about the CQB.

This is a medium HJC visor in the helm, notice how the gap is only about 3/4 inches. An XL visor should make up the difference easily. In fact, that one Adam picked up would work awesomely for this as well as the Marathon helm.

visorgap.jpg
 

NZTK

Well-Known Member
Is there an aggreed on size/scale for the EVA to be printed at? I feel a weekend project coming on.
 

rpalmer919

New Member
Stretch919 said:
I've been researching this subject quite a bit. I did find that you can buy sheets of acrylic that are already gold mirror tinted. However, I have yet to find any confirmation as to whether this stuff can maintain it's mirrored appearance after being vacuformed. I have inquired with one of the manufacturers to see if it is possible, but have yet to hear back...

Anyone want to be the first??? If so, I'll post the website that sells them...
I heard back from that manufacturer I emailed, and it turns out that the mirrored sheets are NOT suitable for vacuforming. However, they referred me to a company in Ohio that does custom thermoforming and can do mirrored coatings. I'm going to be contacting them today to get some details on cost. We may be one step closer to obtaining game-accurate visors...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

NZTK

Well-Known Member
mirrored sheets are NOT suitable for vacuforming.
Poo's I was hoping you could stick it to the plastic then form it in one go....there goes that plan.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Skullcandy Girl said:
You know, I just had a thought from watching the Bioshock armor demo, what about a Security camera dome?? Though I have no idea how much thye cost and how easy they are to cut, just a thought though :)
They are spendy for ones big enough for a helm. And even if you did spend the cheddar on one, i'm not to certain it would shape right, the EVA visor is some what more elongated than sphereical. but if you got the money and time, i'm sure it would work good.

-Justin
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top