About those printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juukyuu

Hi, i've been wondering and looking (in lost times) for printers that accept 110lbs paper but came to a dead end.

I don't want the giant printer/fax machine, just the regular home printer.
So here's my question:

Anyone in Quebec know where I can get one?
Does it have to be manually fed?
Does it have to be laser or ink?
What are the price range?

etc...

Thanks for helping, I really appreciate it.

I am using my regular inkjet (HP Photosmart 4180 or something like that, I keep forgetting, but definitely nothing expensive or special). It's somewhat geared towards photo printing (thus the name) and has no problem with my paper, even though it's a bit heavier than the specifications allow; Paper is 250 g/m², specs go to 200 g/m² for regular paper and 236 g/m² (=145 lbs according to the manual?) for photo-sized photo paper. Basically you can put in a stack of stardstock, hit print and let it work, no intervention neccessary.

So my tip would be to look for photo-oriented printers, a cheap one will probably do. What you may want to look for is a model that can print really close to the edge, that may make the difference between a piece fitting on the page or not ;-)

i got mine at a good deal.(couldnt pass it up when i was looking for just a printer for 110#) its a epson workforce 600. at the end of the deal/discount/employee discount/coupon... i got it for less then 40 bucks.

Hey man, having worked at Staples, I can tell you that's a good place to start looking. I would honestly say go with an inkjet. Laser jet because of the heat used in the printing process can lead to heavier paper curling as it is printed. That is purely due to the nature of the paper feeder. Canon makes some excellent printers. I'd probably recommend an all in one (Printer/copier/scanner).

The only real advantage of laser is it can print much higher yields on one cartridge, usually around 2-3000. Where as for around the same price point, the color and black inkjet cartridges only go for MAYBE 700 pages. However, there are many business inkjets that will last a lot longer. Usually 1000-2000 pages. The HP 8000 Wireless is a good business inkjet, it's usually around $200, and is cheaper when on sale. If money is an issue the HP 6000 is around $80 bucks, and the XL cartridges will last about 1000 pages or so.

I'd go to a Staples/Office Depot/Canadian equivilent and just find an associate who works in the tech department to try and steer you in the right direction. Hope this helps. :)

Lol, thanks a bunch, last one was really a full complete answer to most questions I had :p

i'll check it up when I get some time :p

i use a inkjet old piece of crap printer that runs out of ink in 1 month. its a hp so the ink is not cheap but it does the job.

Any printer that feeds from a top paper tray should work. Printers that feed from a lower paper tray will bend the paper/card and are likely to cause a paper jam with thicker stock. I currently use a Canon MP240 series printer (all-in-one), but I had a Lexmark cheap printer that I got from Wal-Mart for around $30 that worked much better. The ink lasted longer as well, but the print quality was lower. I like the printers that use larger ink cartridges, since the ink costs almost as much as the printer. My dad is a photographer, so he runs out of ink in about a week. He just buys a new printer every time and sells the "old" one.
Printing one page of cardstock at a time will help avoid paper jams. Just load a single sheet into the paper tray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back