Acetone and mold releaser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemretas

Hello, I wish to make a Acetone+Stryofoam mold of my helmet, since I reckon its quite cheap to do. SO I was wondering where can you buy acetone in? Also along with that, is there any material that would keep the thing from sticking onto my helmet? Since having a plastic helmet is nice, but having the original awsome ruined would suck.

Also like once before, is there anything. Any visors or plastic or anything that I can use for my helmet that I can see out of that I can buy in a store? I dont want to order online for anything, and I dont want to wait that much for it to come.

Thanks, and goodbye.

I don't think acetone is going to work well with your master/original helmet.... Acetone will generally eat plastics and resins.

its kinda the point.... its making plastic from styro and acetone. plz read before posting next time.

the acetone evaporates from the dence styro plastc so its no trouble at all. read the post about it

What are you talking about guy above me? I was making MOLDS of it, I already know it eats plastic and such, but I dont wanna spend hundreads of dollars for actual molding stuff.

But ok, using the cheapest materials possible, what is the cost of molding, and casting from my master?

why you starting a new post about the same subject as the thread under you?

You should of asked that question in the acetone thread. which is right under this one!.

My mistake... I don't typically read every post on this forum since there or hundreds. If you are concerned with your master, I would spend the cash and use silicone.

Using styrafoam and acetone seems a bit risky for release purposes but hey, it's not my master.

We mold and cast for a living and I have never attempted the garage method of styrafoam. Let me know how that goes....

Okay. I've read the instructables page on "Making Plastic". True you would be able to spread this across your master but......bad idea in my opinion. The instructable is performing the tutorial in a glass jar which is not affected by acetone. The key here is that there is still acetone present in the mushy styrene goop until it hardens. The reason it hardens, if you read the instructable, is when the acetone completely evaporates, there is no longer a molecular "lubricant" present. Therefore, if you spread this mix of styrene and acetone on your plastic helmet, it will damage your master.

This house is cleayah!!!!

What if I just put together some random pepakura helmet then just mold over that? Even if its badly damaged its not like it matters that much.
Then layer in more release agents and make thin molds.
I think it might work. I just need to either buy or make a new helmet, but I dont have cardstock...

Then layer in more release agents and make thin molds
Im not sure I understand your question, Are you meaning you want to use the polystyrene /acetone as a sculpting material over a card base?

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the plastic as a mold maker, but brushing it directly one to make a shell. Rip the paper cardstock helmet out. Then break the mold in half. Coat each side with a little bit of casting resin, then take it out and put them together, and re-use the mold and mass produce helmets.
Well thats the dream anyway.

THe problem is you'd be casting a rigid material into a rigid mould. Its not really a good idea, unless you make a matrix mould. If you just brushed it onto a cardstock helmet then pulled the cardstock out to create a mould halves, the mould would contain no details, it would just be a rough shape.

So then what should I do? I mean regular molding costs hundreads and I dont have that much to spend.
What is the best way to go about making molds?

I mean regular molding costs hundreads and I dont have that much to spend.
What is the best way to go about making molds?
Unfortunatly there IS no cheap easy way out, thats why this hobby is so expensive. Quality fan made helmets can go for anywhere around 200 to 700 or more. Its the time and materials that makes them so expensive. The best way to make moulds is with silicone and fiberglass.

Last edited by a moderator:
God golly darn.
Hmm....
I could always make some simple styrofoam helmets. Is it possible to directly melt styrofoam via heat. Pour it on, then use simple materials that do not melt stryofoam as a casting material?
I could make it decently cheap.
Or cut out the middle man and make styrofoam helmets by very lightly layering it on and sliding the helmet out. It might work, just a simple paint job. Might not look good, but it will serve its purpose.
I dont know what to do.

hey why not make the card stock helm then use the goop (plastic) like bondo. then when its dry pull out the paper or fiber glass it. u cant make copys but its cheap and easy .

If you trying to create a way to make extra cash by creating copies of one of your masters then I'd bite the bullet and silicone mold it. If you can't afford that, you could make a fiberglass mold. You may have to make it a 3 piece mold so it will release.

I don't know of any specifically but you can google search "fiberglass mold making" and come up with some.

This is a simple tutorial. not quite a 3 piece mold but the same properties apply. It is from one of my friends websites.

Proton Pack Molding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back